What is unique about UNSW Medicine? (1 Viewer)

latania

HSC
Hey....just really want to find out more about the medicine program at various medical schools around Australia and I was wondering if I could ask all the informed people out there to tell me what it is about UNSW Medical School and its medicine program that DIFFERS from other medical schools in Australia. What is unique, special about its medicine program...what do they have that other medical schools don't??
Thank heaps!!

Kelvy

HSC
The UNSW medical school is good because it isn't in debt

Tuna

HSC
N/A
latania said:
Hey....just really want to find out more about the medicine program at various medical schools around Australia and I was wondering if I could ask all the informed people out there to tell me what it is about UNSW Medical School and its medicine program that DIFFERS from other medical schools in Australia. What is unique, special about its medicine program...what do they have that other medical schools don't??
Thank heaps!!
Have you been to a prep???????

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
latania said:
Thank heaps!!
If u wanna do med, ild look into usyd, its known as the best, and has been for a long time over 20yrs

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
Korn said:
If u wanna do med, ild look into usyd, its known as the best, and has been for a long time over 20yrs
But syd only offers post grad med.

I heard the melbourne one is good. my friend goes there.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Eagles said:
But syd only offers post grad med.

I heard the melbourne one is good. my friend goes there.
I think u have to do UMAT first or something to get into undergrad med

nit

HSC
oh no, not this "best uni for med" discussion again. All Aussie med courses are decent. UNSW's med course is still ironing out issues its got, being a new course and all, and usyd isnt that much older though it has had a couple of sets of graduates, which the new unsw med program hasn't yet had and won't have for another 4 or so years. The programs can really only be compared, i think, when the current 2 batches of students graduate.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
nit said:
oh no, not this "best uni for med" discussion again. All Aussie med courses are decent. UNSW's med course is still ironing out issues its got, being a new course and all, and usyd isnt that much older though it has had a couple of sets of graduates, which the new unsw med program hasn't yet had and won't have for another 4 or so years. The programs can really only be compared, i think, when the current 2 batches of students graduate.
Usyd has had medicine since 1883 whats this about it onlly beeing slightly older then UNSW "new" course
usyd med
UNSW medicine

nit

HSC
The graduate medicine program at Usyd only started in 1997, the new med course at UNSW started in 2003. Both unis are struggling, in addition, to meet increased quotas of students per cohort that have been enforced by the government recently - there is an article on this in today's SMH.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
nit said:
The graduate medicine program at Usyd only started in 1997, the new med course at UNSW started in 2003. Both unis are struggling, in addition, to meet increased quotas of students per cohort that have been enforced by the government recently - there is an article on this in today's SMH.
I wasnt talking about graduate (hang on Do u mean post-grad or undergrad) specifically, i was talking in general

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
well its supposed to be
undergrad. (grad entry) lik u got a degree but not in med.

not post grad..

the new course they are talkin about are the non-didactic learning styles.. e.g PBL SBL and PCL.
Usyd uses PBL started 1997 .. similar to Melb Newcastle UQ Adel UWA Bond and mabbe UoW
UNSW uses SBL (they developed this themselves) started 2004
PCL is at Monash

Last edited:

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
well its supposed to be
undergrad. (grad entry) lik u got a degree but not in med.

not post grad..

the new course they are talkin about are the non-didactic learning styles.. e.g PBL SBL and PCL.
Usyd uses PBL started 1997 .. similar to Newcastle UQ Adel UWA Bond and mabbe UoW
UNSW uses SBL (they developed this themselves) started 2004
PCL is at Monash
Yes ***Shakes head in agreement****
wtf is that abbreviation shit, sorry if thats common medicial lingo, cause well (look at sig) im not a medico

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
lolz.. nah i was hoping ud search them on google..cbf typing earlier..

SBL= scenerio based learning
PBL=problem based learning
PCL= patient centred learning
UoW= Uni of Wollongong

sorry :)

but yeah it means lik med students do lik 18-30 hrs.. depending on which uni.. and in this time lectures are lik 5-6 hrs of load.. so we hav just tuts..focusing on clinical reasoning and self learning

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
lolz.. nah i was hoping ud search them on google..cbf typing earlier..

SBL= scenerio based learning
PBL=problem based learning
PCL= patient centred learning
UoW= Uni of Wollongong

sorry :)

but yeah it means lik med students do lik 18-30 hrs.. depending on which uni.. and in this time lectures are lik 5-6 hrs of load.. so we hav just tuts..focusing on clinical reasoning and self learning
I understood UoW= Uni of the Gong, its the others i didnt know, thankx

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
SMH.com.au said:
Too many doctors in the house
By Debra Jopson
May 7, 2005

IN ANATOMY lessons, they look at, but do not dissect, bodies. If they cannot make it to lectures early, they have to file into a second lecture theatre, where a video link feeds the lecturer's words to them. "We had labs last year meant to be for 12 students and we had 60. You had people crowding around trying to see a chemical reaction," said Gemma Winlo, a second-year medical student at Sydney University.

In the hospitals, the groups of medical students following consultants around has swelled, sometimes to eight. "It's not nice for the patient, having … students coming in a big mob into a little cubicle," she said.

This is life for first- and second-year students in the university's hard-pressed medical faculty, which took in 274 new students this year, and 252 last year, under the Federal Government's scheme to boost doctor numbers.

"Getting into medicine is such a difficult process. Once you're here it's a bit of a shock to find the system can't handle you," said Winlo.
AdvertisementAdvertisement

Eight years ago, the intake was 117, of whom 12 were international students. Despite the "bulge", HECS places have dropped in the past two years. This year, there are 59 new international, and 15 domestic, fee-payers. International students pay about $150,000 for a four-year postgraduate degree.

Dror Maor, the president of the Australian Medical Students Association, of which Winlo is a council member, said the pressure of numbers was a nationwide problem. "The Government said, 'We need all these new doctors. Let's have new medical students.' Now we have more, but not the funding and the infrastructure."

Sydney University's dean of medicine, Andrew Coats, said there would be "short-term pain while we try and crank up". Eighteen new staff had been appointed and some learning rooms had been expanded, but it would take time to set up new lecture theatres and student accommodation, and to increase hospital capacity.

His faculty, with an annual turnover of $170 million, was used to finding extra funding because government grants to the university had dropped to below 20 per cent of total funding in the past seven years. The true cost of funding each medical student was $250,000 a year. The Federal Government gave the faculty $15,500 a student each year - plus $8500 in HECS fees if it was not paid up front, he said.

Phil Huang, a third-year student, said that in Britain he saw pathology labs with one tutor to three students. Here, students had to find many answers to practical questions in their textbooks. "You have 60 people packed into a room. You're trying to see. You're trying to learn off slides. You're trying to learn off one person at the front. It's really hard to get that information."

He had paid $1000 to do an anatomy course in his own time. "It's not the university's fault. We all love where we are. But we can't deny that things are slipping a little bit and the Federal Government is not doing very much."

Professor Coats said dissection had been dropped because it was a 19th-century way of learning, and streamlining the curriculum meant "that some of the detailed surgical anatomy can't be given to everyone in their medical student years".

latania

HSC
Kelvy said:
The UNSW medical school is good because it isn't in debt
hahaha....hmm...certainly something I can't put on the CV???!!!
oh and sorry if I'm going to be posting consecutively for awhile 'cause I'm just reading the posts so far and commenting on them?
please bear with me! thanks...

latania

HSC
Tuna said:
Have you been to a prep???????
sorry....quoting someone again/posting again....yes, I have been to a prep! the Dallas one last weekend..and it was quite good, I suppose...quite enjoyable! except there's another question I want to pose...to what extent can we trust him??

latania

HSC
nit said:
ohh...I'm not exactly starting a "Best uni for med" thread...you know for the CV for UNSW Med application? you're supposed to write why you want to study med at UNSW? well...even after reading all that stuff on the UNSW Med website about their new medicine program and a few other medical school's course program, I still find it hard to pick out exactly what makes UNSW Med unique...like what differs from it from other uni's..in terms of its course structure, teaching..etc..not whether the medical school is in debt or not

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)