What is unique about UNSW Medicine? (1 Viewer)

Tuna

HSC
N/A
latania said:
sorry....quoting someone again/posting again....yes, I have been to a prep! the Dallas one last weekend..and it was quite good, I suppose...quite enjoyable! except there's another question I want to pose...to what extent can we trust him??
It is up to you to trust him or not. You have options.I had a talk to people who are in unsw and newcastle to find out if he is or not.

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
latania said:
ohh...I'm not exactly starting a "Best uni for med" thread...you know for the CV for UNSW Med application? you're supposed to write why you want to study med at UNSW? well...even after reading all that stuff on the UNSW Med website about their new medicine program and a few other medical school's course program, I still find it hard to pick out exactly what makes UNSW Med unique...like what differs from it from other uni's..in terms of its course structure, teaching..etc..not whether the medical school is in debt or not
so u want to write sumfing?

how bout none of the stuff tat everyone else wrote :).. be unique.. u can always do it again.. next yr.. dun be a sheep.. or ull be hard to differentiate..

Kelvy

HSC
Dallas = Over-extreme :chainsaw:

Be cautious in what you take from him

latania

HSC
Kelvy said:
Dallas = Over-extreme :chainsaw:

Be cautious in what you take from him
Uh oh....the chainsaw looks pretty ominous...'cause like..after going to Dallas, yes, it does seem pretty extreme...so what should I accept from him or what not to? I'm guessing that you've been to him too...so do you have any advice? like..considering all the stuff Dallas said for CVs and interviews...should I really take all of it on board?
if anyone has any extra advice, warning...etc, perhaps you could be so kind as to PM me or something?
thanks heaps!!!

Kelvy

HSC
latania said:
Uh oh....the chainsaw looks pretty ominous...'cause like..after going to Dallas, yes, it does seem pretty extreme...so what should I accept from him or what not to? I'm guessing that you've been to him too...so do you have any advice? like..considering all the stuff Dallas said for CVs and interviews...should I really take all of it on board?
if anyone has any extra advice, warning...etc, perhaps you could be so kind as to PM me or something?
thanks heaps!!!
This is totally my own opinion, so don't murder me if its wrong hahaha....

Dallas is good to an extent. What you accept from him is up to you - different people will accept different amounts of information. Personally, after Dallas I became so paranoid of the interview - i kept thinking that the interviewers would try to assasinate me or something in the interview. But it turned out fine - they didn't act like robots, they were friendly and i think it was more a disjointed conversation than an interview.

I thought his CV and interview advice was useful though I didn't agree with his "advice" about your background, education, religion...etc

latania

HSC
Kelvy said:
This is totally my own opinion, so don't murder me if its wrong hahaha....

Dallas is good to an extent. What you accept from him is up to you - different people will accept different amounts of information. Personally, after Dallas I became so paranoid of the interview - i kept thinking that the interviewers would try to assasinate me or something in the interview. But it turned out fine - they didn't act like robots, they were friendly and i think it was more a disjointed conversation than an interview.

I thought his CV and interview advice was useful though I didn't agree with his "advice" about your background, education, religion...etc
Haha well I haven't been to an interview yet (lol of course not...or not yet, anyway) so I can't make a judgement about the interview, clearly...but I agree about what you said about interview-paranoia after his prep course. The 2nd day of the prep: CV and interviews, completely worried and depressed me....because I was one of those people that would be "disadvantaged" at a Caucasian-Aussie-Medicine interview, for the "advice" he warned us about regarding background, education, religion...etc. So I really don't know about the CV and all that...argh all this stuff shouldn't be said in public threads...

but yeah, hmm..back to the actual topic of the thread....which is...what is there in the UNSW Medicine Program: course structure or its medical school teaching...etc..that is unique...that makes it stand out from other medical schools? anyone?

~Thanks!

Melkor

not sure if this has been mentioned, but first and second years are integrated in phase one, so half the people in your scenario group will know alot more than you do :)

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
latania said:
because I was one of those people that would be "disadvantaged" at a Caucasian-Aussie-Medicine interview
Because you're of Asian background or of Caucasian background? I don't understand that point you made, sorry.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
best reason to goto UNSW?
Skywalker.. no one is hotter.. (*Po1ntdext3r holds no responsibility)

latania: umm read the outline of the course .. then ask the specific question..
ure question is a lil broad.. mabbe read another unis and ask to compare? ..

latania

HSC
oh sorry but as most people (I presume) would know, is that the UMAT was introduced to reduce the influx of "industrious Asian students", as it is rumoured to be, but of course medical schools deny this.
There are also other factors...not just being Asian...there was an article in The Australian about how medical schools discriminate against students with medical backgrounds, affluent students and therefore students who go to private schools. Honestly it really doesn't make sense, if you think about it..but *shrugs* this is what the system has turned out to be? Trying to reduce the number of doctor's children becoming doctors...etc...Mind you, many Asians still get into medicine, of course...

latania

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
best reason to goto UNSW?
Skywalker.. no one is hotter.. (*Po1ntdext3r holds no responsibility)

latania: umm read the outline of the course .. then ask the specific question..
ure question is a lil broad.. mabbe read another unis and ask to compare? ..
haha yeah it is broad..but I'm not a medicine student (or not yet...anyway) so I'm not clear about the specific course programs and teaching styles. That's why I'm hoping for people who understand the stuff, e.g. people who are doing medicine and at different medical schools who may be more informed

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
latania said:
oh sorry but as most people (I presume) would know, is that the UMAT was introduced to reduce the influx of "industrious Asian students", as it is rumoured to be, but of course medical schools deny this.
There are also other factors...not just being Asian...there was an article in The Australian about how medical schools discriminate against students with medical backgrounds, affluent students and therefore students who go to private schools. Honestly it really doesn't make sense, if you think about it..but *shrugs* this is what the system has turned out to be? Trying to reduce the number of doctor's children becoming doctors...etc...Mind you, many Asians still get into medicine, of course...
I think that's rubbish. Half the people around me are Asian, definitely higher than the population ratio of Perth, let alone WA - and this is the medical school with the LEAST transparent selection process (no feedback on the interview is given to anyone, ever).

One thing the schools DO look for, however, is demographic representation. A country-bred kid is far more valuable in medical schools today than someone like me who was born and raised in Sydney, because while almost everyone would be happy practicing in the city (especially university educated folk), it's exceedingly difficult convincing people to even consider rural practice.

By the same principles it is of paramount importance that more medical students of indigenous background pass through, because the current aboriginal health crisis is crippling entire communities (even regions). Students from low socio-economic backgrounds are far more likely to understand the health and social problems affecting the majority of patients (povs) too, which is why they are paid some measure of attention.

What's not so important is to get another Dr Wu on Macquarie Street, or another Knox boy from Pyrmont. They are not likely help resolve the current health emergencies to nearly the same degree as those students mentioned above. It's more a positive discrimination (we really need these people) thing rather than negative discrimination (we don't want those people).

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
latania said:
rofl Was that from the Weekend Australian?

Cos it was from a AMA(SA) guy..

Ok heres the thing.. they had an ulterior motive in publishing that article..
.. cos ppl who's kids got 99.95 didnt get in were pisses at ppl with 91.5 got in..
mind u they were critical of the UMAT and the interview process
saying that their "kids worked so hard.. and ended up in Melb and arent EVER coming back to SA" but they dressed it up as a "Hard working children of Viet boatppl are disadvantaged"
ironically 2 of my uni friends are viet.. and they both got 99.4+ so yeah its stupid..
Being of Asian decent isnt a disadvantage.. having lil ppl skills is ..
and in UNSW it might be better considering most of the asian guys/gals i kno also got in.. :)

some of the stuff ppl disseminate is stupid esp about entry process..

Most of us realise that ure not a med student.. at least try.. if u ask a good question we will in turn give u a well thought out answer..

If u say stuff tat shows u put so lil effort into thinking about it.. in our answer we will tell u to 'get stuffed'.. :)

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
I don't think the umat has reduced the influx of industrious asian students. If you fail the umat: you're too dumb (or too fob).

Stuff about medical schools discriminating against students from affluent or medical backgrounds is a load of crap. At least at unsw. The interview process at unsw has a point-grading system. You do get bonus points if you're from the sticks, but that's because you'd be more likely to contribute to the health care system later on in terms of providing services to these areas.

Be honest in your cv. Don't make up stuff to make it look good. If you just want to go to unsw cuz it's the closest, then just say so. It is important to understand the kind of program that unsw's offering, but this kind of info is readily available. The new medicine program website www.med.unsw.edu.au has pretty much everything you need to know about the program itself. We're happy to answer specific questions (well... I am anyway), but there's been plenty of previous threads on the new med program that are easily searchable.

But really... we all know why unsw's the best right? =)

Kelvy

HSC
UNSW's good because we get fire drills in the middle of pracs!!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
UTS is better because they get fire drills in the middle of final exams. :p

(though it wasn't really a drill...)

latania

HSC
PHEW!!!! Well all the stuff I said up there were things that Dallas told us..but you guys ARE right, I do agree with pretty much the same stuff you said!
And I'm not moaning about how "unfair" the system is..the main objective is to think that every person goes through the same process and to just try your best, and what will be will be..

latania

HSC
+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+ said:
I don't think the umat has reduced the influx of industrious asian students. If you fail the umat: you're too dumb (or too fob).

Stuff about medical schools discriminating against students from affluent or medical backgrounds is a load of crap. At least at unsw. The interview process at unsw has a point-grading system. You do get bonus points if you're from the sticks, but that's because you'd be more likely to contribute to the health care system later on in terms of providing services to these areas.

Be honest in your cv. Don't make up stuff to make it look good. If you just want to go to unsw cuz it's the closest, then just say so. It is important to understand the kind of program that unsw's offering, but this kind of info is readily available. The new medicine program website www.med.unsw.edu.au has pretty much everything you need to know about the program itself. We're happy to answer specific questions (well... I am anyway), but there's been plenty of previous threads on the new med program that are easily searchable.

But really... we all know why unsw's the best right? =)
well I REALLY have read everything on their site about their program..but can anyone specifically tell me what is in there that DIFFERS from other medical school? what is unique about its new course?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)