What is unique about UNSW Medicine? (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Truth is we don't really know everything about it yet, because so oldest cohort in the new course is only halfway through (not even that yet). Plus they keep tweaking it (to eliminate major issues encountered on implementation) so things have changed every year.

Remember though, I'm UWA not UNSW. I don't know as much as the UNSW meds here, could be very wrong.

Tuna

HSC
N/A
Kelvy said:
UNSW's good because we get fire drills in the middle of pracs!!
Which were the important things that Dallas said and were useful during the interview for you?

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
Lexicographer said:
Truth is we don't really know everything about it yet, because so oldest cohort in the new course is only halfway through (not even that yet). Plus they keep tweaking it (to eliminate major issues encountered on implementation) so things have changed every year.

Remember though, I'm UWA not UNSW. I don't know as much as the UNSW meds here, could be very wrong.
Nah you're pretty much spot on, plenty of 2nd years (new course only been going for 2004+5, so they're the oldest) bitch, seriously and non-seriously, about being the guinea pigs. There were fairly significant changes to the introductory 8 weeks for example and there'll probably be more next year. It's a work in progress - but it's not bad now either, just untested.

I think the main things about the course are the scenario learning, the integration of 1st + 2nd years and the independent learning project (which no one seems to know much about yet) in 3rd or 4th year (you can choose i think). And it has me in it too. ;)

latania

HSC
mervvyn said:
Nah you're pretty much spot on, plenty of 2nd years (new course only been going for 2004+5, so they're the oldest) bitch, seriously and non-seriously, about being the guinea pigs. There were fairly significant changes to the introductory 8 weeks for example and there'll probably be more next year. It's a work in progress - but it's not bad now either, just untested.

I think the main things about the course are the scenario learning, the integration of 1st + 2nd years and the independent learning project (which no one seems to know much about yet) in 3rd or 4th year (you can choose i think). And it has me in it too. ;)
thanks Mervvyn...okay..so with the "scenario learning, the integration of 1st + 2nd years and the independent learning project", what are their 'benefits'? like..in comparison to other medical schools in Australia?

Melkor

latania said:
thanks Mervvyn...okay..so with the "scenario learning, the integration of 1st + 2nd years and the independent learning project", what are their 'benefits'? like..in comparison to other medical schools in Australia?
you get to feel like an idiot for not knowing as much as the second years :cool:

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
lol omg... that damn fire drill... and it was such a dodgy prac as well =P

hmm...

SBL: Basically helps to integrate different disciplines of medicine across a common theme. It demands a lot of self-directed learning, which I prefer, but it might not suit others especially if u like being spoon-fed info. There's a huge emphasis on groupwork. Which is highly irritating and you end up wanting to throttle some ppl, but you learn to get along and put up with each other. =)

Vertical integration: 2nd years bitch about this all the time, but it's a novel idea, and unsw's the first to come up with it. The theory behind it is, 2nd years learn to teach the freshers, and the freshers learn to learn from others. I dono. But at least it's been cruisy for us =) and I like the first years =)

ILP: no idea. We have to do it in 3rd or 4th year. It's research-related and there are pre-set topics. It takes up 3 blocks. That's pretty much what we know.

U know what's really cool though? There is like... zero pressure to do well. (Well, maybe cuz my group's full of lazy ppl like me). Anyhow. If you don't know already, assignments and projects are graded P, P- or P+ (or F). There is one exam every 8 weeks. There are resits. Awesome =)

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
we hav a ILP too..pre-set or self chosen.. (e.g how do household chemical affect sperm quality?.. so it can be interesting too.. ) so thats not exclusive to UNSW.. its to weed out those who are goin to do research or academic careers..

and a similar grading system here too .. for the 1st 3 yrs..
(btw.. IMO sique is extremely smart.. so when she says lazy it doesnt mean u can be too and still expect the same result.. :p)

the vertical learning is weird.. from wat i hear..but apparently there is justification to it.. not used to my knowledge at any other aust med schools..

also ELECTIVES: (minimum to qualify for the MBBS or BMed)
UNSW have 12 crd pts worth of gen ed..
Newcastle hav 3 crd pts
Melb = 0 for electives.. cos they offer BMedSc instead
Adel=18 crd pts..
UWA= lexi will kno..
Monash=i think 0.. but ask inasero..

Another thing is to question how much clinical-based vs science-based u should kno and how its divided.. =) cos it can affect ure interest during the course.. and wat type of person u are..

Melkor

+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
we hav a ILP too..pre-set or self chosen.. (e.g how do household chemical affect sperm quality?.. so it can be interesting too.. ) so thats not exclusive to UNSW.. its to weed out those who are goin to do research or academic careers..

and a similar grading system here too .. for the 1st 3 yrs..
(btw.. IMO sique is extremely smart.. so when she says lazy it doesnt mean u can be too and still expect the same result.. :p)

the vertical learning is weird.. from wat i hear..but apparently there is justification to it.. not used to my knowledge at any other aust med schools..

UNSW have 12 crd pts worth of gen ed..
Newcastle hav 3 crd pts
Melb = 0 for electives.. cos they offer BMedSc instead
Adel=18 crd pts..
UWA= lexi will kno..
Monash=i think 0.. but ask inasero..

Another thing is to question how much clinical-based vs science-based u should kno and how its divided.. =) cos it can affect ure interest during the course.. and wat type of person u are..
yep, at unsw you do clinical from the just about day one
;)

Tuna

HSC
N/A
are the credit points for people who are entering the course or the people who are already in the course?

What are the credit points consist of?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
already in..
lik u do ure normal med load.. + 1-2 non-med subjects (gen eds or elective.. depending on uni)

the credit pts are usualli based on difficulty.. but its not always tru..

Melkor

+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
already in..
lik u do ure normal med load.. + 1-2 non-med subjects (gen eds or elective.. depending on uni)

the credit pts are usualli based on difficulty.. but its not always tru..
had a feeling we do our gen eds during taht independant learning project period...

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
nope u do it in 2nd yr - 3rd yr..

newcastle does it in 1st semester..

Melkor

"You must do a total of 6 units of credit in General Education courses in year 2 and 6 units of credit in year 3."

i stand corrected :)

btw about how many extra hours a week do 6 UOC come out as?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
depends.. on the difficulty or its worth..

im doing a 6 UOC at my uni this sem.. and its only 5 hrs.. but its also 1yr accelerated..
last yr i did 1st yr math. and it was 7 hrs.. for only 6 UOC for 2 sems

so it depends....

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:

Newcastle hav 3 crd pts
well the elective is actually 10 units (40 units per semester), but i see what you mean. In other words newc students only have to do one elective for the whole course.

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
i think we have a separate 12uoc of electives? apart from the 12uoc of gen ed. There was some discussion about this earlier, but I'm not really sure.

most gen eds at unsw are 3uoc, which is about 2-3 hours per week. language gen eds are 6uoc, so they require a bit more work.

alternatively, u can do 3cp courses during summer or winter session and get them done and over with.

Kelvy

HSC
I want to learn to be a fire drill coordinator for my geneds!

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+ said:
i think we have a separate 12uoc of electives? apart from the 12uoc of gen ed. There was some discussion about this earlier, but I'm not really sure.

most gen eds at unsw are 3uoc, which is about 2-3 hours per week. language gen eds are 6uoc, so they require a bit more work.

alternatively, u can do 3cp courses during summer or winter session and get them done and over with.
i suspect ure right :|
i remember reading it in yr 12
tats a lot of extra stuff tho..

yes fire drills are very helpful... :p

Last edited:

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+ said:

How easy are language gen eds to fit in? They would be my first choice, but if they are quite a few hours, they are unlikely to agre with our crazy timetable...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)