What kind of marks would I need to get an ATAR of 98+? (1 Viewer)

JasonTongFlute

HSC
I'm really worried as I want to study medicine, but I'm not sure what kind of marks I should be getting.. can you please help me?

My subjects are:
  1. Adv Eng
  2. Gen Maths
  3. Chem
  4. Physics
  5. Bio
  6. Legal
  7. SOR II
Thank you very much for all your help!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If you want to study medicine, you should be aiming for 100% in everything.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
I'm really worried as I want to study medicine, but I'm not sure what kind of marks I should be getting.. can you please help me?

My subjects are:
  1. Adv Eng
  2. Gen Maths
  3. Chem
  4. Physics
  5. Bio
  6. Legal
  7. SOR II
Thank you very much for all your help!
To be honest, the ATAR needed for medicine, practically speaking usually should be over 99 ATAR. For that type of ATAR you should be looking for an average HSC mark through your top 10 units exceeding 90

Cl324

HSC
N/A
You wont make it into USYD/UNSW with 98
UWS had a cutoff of like 95 though, 93 if you live in the area.
You didnt choose the best subjects scaling wise so you have to do super well to get over 98. Also if you're doing 14 units, you should probably drop one or two subjects, ideally gen maths.
Play around with the matrix calculator for a rough idea

mirakon

nigga
HSC
You wont make it into USYD/UNSW with 98
UWS had a cutoff of like 95 though, 93 if you live in the area.You didnt choose the best subjects scaling wise so you have to do super well to get over 98. Also if you're doing 14 units, you should probably drop one or two subjects, ideally gen maths.
Play around with the matrix calculator for a rough idea

UWS is a lot more compettive now too. They say you need over 95 like UNSW says you need over 96. Practically speaking, if you want to do medicine at either UNSW or UWS directly from school, you definitely should be aiming for over 99

D94

HSC
N/A
Let's say you want to get into UNSW/USyd med, you're definitely going to need at least mid 90's for English and Sciences, and close to 100 for Legal and SOR 2. As for General Maths, close to 100, or drop it as I doubt it will scale any higher than the other subjects for anything lower than say 90-95.

And this is after doing UMAT - you're going to need something close to 100.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
USYD undergarduate is combined with another subject such as economics, science or medical science. They do not count UMAT, but require a 99.95 ATAR and an interview.

UNSW Med is very competitive. You should be looking at 99.5+ ATAR and 90+ UMAT

enoilgam

HSC
Mirakon is pretty much on the money, you need to get 99+ in order to have a decent shot at making medicine at UNSW or UWS. I think the median ATAR of those who got into medicine is 99.7 and 99.3 respectively for UNSW and UWS (someone correct me if I am wrong). With your subjects, I'd say you would need low-mid 90's in each to have a shot of 99.

Cl324

HSC
N/A
Mirakon is pretty much on the money, you need to get 99+ in order to have a decent shot at making medicine at UNSW or UWS. I think the median ATAR of those who got into medicine is 99.7 and 99.3 respectively for UNSW and UWS (someone correct me if I am wrong). With your subjects, I'd say you would need low-mid 90's in each to have a shot of 99.
Once you get the required ATAR, they use your performance in the interview and umat to decide. So basically if you get 93/95(depending on where you live) you ATAR does not matter any more. I remember having this convo with my friend ages ago. Anyway I found UWS med site and it says:

'Applicants who meet both academic and UMAT thresholds are subsequently invited to interview. Final rankings for offers for the MBBS will be based on interview performance, plus UMAT scores (with a greater emphasis being on the interviews).'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)