what kinda things do u learn in the politics and international relations major? (1 Viewer)

jakree_golf

HSC
i'm wondering what the art major in politics and int relations would be like, like what u guys learn in it and stuff.

i attended the lecture about int relations during the usyd open day but it was kinda boring perhaps due to the lecturer being old and monotonic

but ya i kinda have an interest in it and am considering do economics combined with arts at unsw, any idea about this combination?

jakree_golf

HSC
does the O! number of reply reflect the inconsiderate nature of the boredofstudies community, or just the unpopularity of the course itself?

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
Inconsiderate nature...
But, when it comes to the unsw major it depends on what subjects you pick (for that check out the unsw handbook). In my experience the one's I've chosen have been very interesting and the assessments have been reasonable. You'll find yourself studying either subjects with a focus on Asia and American policy and/or critical theory, as in: how is foreign policy conceptualised and formulated with reference to particular situations?

BackCountrySnow

HSC
jakree_golf said:
but ya i kinda have an interest in it and am considering do economics combined with arts at unsw, any idea about this combination?
Im thinking of doing this too.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Seriously, what the fuck do you think you'd study in a Politics and International Relations major?

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
bringbackshred said:
Seriously, what the fuck do you think you'd study in a Politics and International Relations major?
Health Science.

Defklim

HSC
That's absolutely what I thought too.

But I believe the OP's just looking for some personal response from people who've done those majors. Clearly, people involved in politics/int. relations are too busy. Or perhaps not bored enough to reply. Or maybe even inconsiderate.

purplemonkey

HSC
When I was at UNSW I was doing B Arts (Politics and International Relations)

For it to be your major I think you only have to do 7 courses with a POLS code over the three years (although you mentioned USYD so the amount may be different)

The courses I did were:

*International Law - boring as anything but if you want a legal background/are interested in law then it would be good. The 2 exams had high fail rates.

*Global Governance - this was about major political organisations like WB, WHO, UN, IMF, NATO, GATT.

*Sex, Human Rights and Justice - exactly as the title says, gender issues in human rights.

*Theories and Concepts of International Relations - Pretty boring but easy, the chick who ran it was cool, had all the lectures up on Vista, pretty much rote learning the theories, easy pass

*International Security - I absoluely loved this unit, really interesting, a lot about terrorism but also humanitarian crises and how that affects it. The guy who was running it moved to ANU so I'm not sure if it's as good now.

I think if you were going to do an international relations major it may be worth doing a language as well (if you don't already).

You could also check out the handbook for a broader spectrum of 1st year units (These are 2nd/3rd) www.handbook.unsw.edu.au

Feel free to post anymore questions you have

Last edited:

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
On the 'International Law' course they no longer do exams, it's all essays.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)