What language are you studying? (1 Viewer)

specificagent1

HSC
japanese is pretty easy imo, if i had to choose a language to learn japanese would be my first choice and german or korean as second
this is how i know you dont study japanese. Japanese is regarded as one of the hardest languages for native english speakers to learn

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Based on my own experience, Japanese isn't a highly difficult language to learn so mastering it is definitely possible, but it does require determination and patience. Substantial progress can be made within a rather short period of time. For example, in less than a week, I became capable of:
  • counting up to 100
  • listing the days of the week
  • correctly expressing days of the month
  • recognising tenses
  • distinguishing between positive/negative
  • understanding and using basic expressions/constructing basic sentences
Sadly, I haven't been able to progress past this point due to the lack of time, but I am still familiar with most of the above. :)

Chinese is definitely more difficult and takes more time to master than Japanese. It's definitely great to see people (such as the person in the video below) speak Chinese at a very high level. Perhaps wzsmartypants (being a native Chinese speaker) may have comments about it:

wzsmartypants

HSC
Based on my own experience, Japanese isn't a highly difficult language to learn so mastering it is definitely possible, but it does require determination and patience. Substantial progress can be made within a rather short period of time. For example, in less than a week, I became capable of:
  • counting up to 100
  • recognising tenses
Sadly, I haven't been able to progress past this point due to the lack of time, but I am still familiar with most of the above. :)

Chinese is definitely more difficult and takes more time to master than Japanese. It's definitely great to see people (such as the person in the video below) speak Chinese at a very high level. Perhaps wzsmartypants (being a native Chinese speaker) may have comments about it:

I've seen this vid! not only this dude has 4M subscribers on YT, he also has 600k on bilibili (chinese video streaming website/app)

wzsmartypants

HSC
  • counting up to 100
  • recognising tenses

jimmy are u native in two languages? how?

wzsmartypants

HSC
  • counting up to 100
  • recognising tenses

This guy speaks perfect chinese btw, but chinese is an interesting language, like he's got all the pronunciations right but i could easily tell he isn't native in chinese from the moment he starts speaking idk how

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
jimmy are u native in two languages? how?
Yep, I basically grew up speaking both languages, was taught in both at school and we have a bit of a mixture of both linguistic backgrounds from my dad's side of the family, meaning both languages are spoken in the family. I then moved to Australia about 5 years ago which is where I was able to substantially improve my English.

This guy speaks perfect chinese btw, but chinese is an interesting language, like he's got all the pronunciations right but i could easily tell he isn't native in chinese from the moment he starts speaking idk how
That's very interesting to hear. I guess it might be due to the fact that you know he's not of Chinese origin, making you focus on his spoken Chinese more than you would with other people in general? 🤔

wzsmartypants

HSC
Yep, I basically grew up speaking both languages, was taught in both at school and we have a bit of a mixture of both linguistic backgrounds from my dad's side of the family, meaning both languages are spoken in the family. I then moved to Australia about 5 years ago which is where I was able to substantially improve my English.

That's very interesting to hear. I guess it might be due to the fact that you know he's not of Chinese origin, making you focus on his spoken Chinese more than you would with other people in general? 🤔
perhaps it's his tone or accent, he's not wrong. and wow cool for me i grew up in an international school XD

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

God Did
HSC
omggg i should've realised when i read ur actual name 🤦‍♀️ did u do it for ur hsc as well?
haha yeah it’s pretty obvious

but no I just do it for fun + so I’m not left out of conversations with relatives and so I can converse when I’m in Greece … it would’ve been interesting though to do it for hsc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)