What languages do you know? (1 Viewer)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I know Python, Java, Haskell to an intermediate level (graphics, multithreading, lists, arrays, etc). Used to know C++. Will pick it up over Christmas.

Also, what languages would you like to learn/know, and for what reasons?

Java is for parallel/distributed computing for me, Python for scripting, Haskell for shits and giggles. C++ for graphics/gaming. I'd like to learn PHP for web stuff, and FORTRAN for scientific computing, too.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
I can do a few things in c++(my favorite laguage), and know a little vb(don't like it but my sdd class required it).

oh and javascript and CSS/html if they count. lol

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
High school: pascal, VB

Uni: java, C, perl, shell, assembler, javascript, html, cgi

On my own: c++, python

note: some of those arent languages :p

Last edited:

Mejc

CSAK AZ ETO
HSC
Uni: Java, C, C++, Perl, VBA, Assembler

Other intersting stuff: Spring, Hibernate, Struts, EJBs (but i guess that goes into Java), Mason

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
C
C++/VC++
Java
Pascal
BASIC (QBASIC)
Visual Basic (plus Visual Basic.NET)
C# (Including Visual C#.NET)
Some Objective C
Some Assembler
SH/BASH
Perl
Python
PHP
HTML/JavaScript (but who doesn't know those).
ASP/ASP.NET
JSP

I'd love to FORTRAN and COBOL for historical reasons, LISP would be fun for alternate styles of programming, too.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
C++
JAVA
some C
little of HTML and XML

Winston

HSC
C
C++
Visual Basic 6 / VBA
Visual Basic.NET
C#
J#
ASP.NET
JavaScript
XHTML
CSS
Perl
Java
Lotus Script
Lotus Formula
XSLT

squance

I like cheese!!!
HSC
Im currently learning python at uni....

Can someone help me with python please??!!!!!

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I sure can. Python's a beautiful language. It's like all the good parts of Haskell and Java.

I've written a programme to teach you regular expressions, and I'm currently writing a tutorial to go with it. I've also written a fairly comprehensive tutorial for GUI programming in wxPython.

If it's plain Python scripting you're after, then that's a lot easier to teach. I can help you heaps, but it might be worth having a look at this e-book first: http://www.diveintopython.org/toc/index.html

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Java is not a first year language. It's a quick language you pick up during your studies after you learn a language that requires you to manage memory. :(

Teaching people Java first teaches people to be sloppy programmers. :(

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
poloktim said:
Java is not a first year language. It's a quick language you pick up during your studies after you learn a language that requires you to manage memory. :(

Teaching people Java first teaches people to be sloppy programmers. :(
I hear that, i learnt java first then C and realized how many bad habits i picked up. Although my first language at uni was assembly (MIPS stuff).

Previously: none
Uni: Assembly, Java, C, a bit of python,C++ and VB, JSP so far

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Actually, C is arguably the worst language to teach people to begin with, in terms of picking up bad habits (not to mention it doesn't really support OO). While C is one of the most important languages to teach (along with Haskell for its logical consistency and superb example of the functional paradigm, which in and of itself will help make you a better programmer), it really shouldn't be taught first. What's the best language to start with? Maybe Python or C++. Java is nice but some of its design seems almost... bureaucratic. Python is duck-typed, though, which is great for starting out in programming and once (if) you make the move to static and/or weak typing (C), you'll have inherited good habits and thus hopefully won't do the things C has a bad reputation for letting you do. Then again Python does garbage collection for you, which makes for a steep learning curve when you move to C. Hell, maybe C++ is the best way to start programming.

Excluding Visual Basic, of course, which isn't really even a language.

Edit: Ok let's be honest, none of them are good on their own to teach first. The very best idea is time-share, like a computer does with processes/threads; teach one for 4 weeks, another for the next 4 weeks, etc. That's what ANU did, teaching Haskell and Java, which while not ideal since they're both high-level languages, certainly did hammer in the fact that you need to adapt to multiple methods of programming and that Java isn't perfect, while still managing to cover functional programming, good code formatting and style, recursion, OO, trees, etc and also demonstrate the same algorithm/data structure in two different languages. We then went on to cover C and assembly in 2nd year first sem, with strong emphasis of memory management, low-level code, and all the things NOT to do with pointers, types and memory when coding in C.

Last edited:

NovaAesa

HSC
I learned VB, then Python, then Java. Onto C++ next semester =D
I think it would have been best if I had learnt Python first, but oh well.

Lawl

HSC
I'm also learning Java first (in uni, first semester).

I've touched python although at a very basic level. (on my own)

My lecturers/tutors say that they're teaching you the foundations for programming and just using java as a tool for understanding.

Applikation

HSC
VB, then Perl, then PHP, then C++ and then C. I like C better because the executables are smaller, and they run much faster.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
high school: pascal, vb

work: vb.net, vba

uni: C

planning to learn XHTML, CSS, MySQL, Java, PHP

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
High School: null

Uni: C#

Planning: null

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)