What languages do you speak fluently? (1 Viewer)

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Are you telling me Punjabi is a 'nasal' language? My own dialect is heavily nasal - many of our surnames have been incorrectly transliterated because, using English "phonetics" there is no way to incorporate the nasal element.
Not really a nasal per se, it only has 2-3 characters? Like dots etc you put on some words which tell you how to pronounce it... (the language doesn't let you guess how to pronounce it, you have to write it the way it should be pronounced... iirc there are 35 letters in the alphabet and then punctuation? which will tell you how to say something).

I don't really know how to read/write it, I learnt it when I was 3-4 and that's it. I can read/ write Hindi a little though.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
As an antique, it saddens me that so many children of migrants, have very little interest and pride in their heritage. They may have Cantonese-speaking heritage, can't speak Canto, and prefer and take pride in learning, say, French or German or even Japanese, far removed from their roots and culture and just cbb.

delian

HSC
N/A
English, American, Australian

I think that's been said before.

Also Cantonese. But I can't write it to save my life, can't recognise too many characters but I can speak it and that's what the thread is about :)
Don't forget Canadian.

Aidejay

HSC
For me english, teochew (a chinese dialect) and canto

So sad how I went to Saturdays hinese school to learn Mando for 11 years and still not fluent :(

kat-

msftsrep
HSC
Fluent in English and Mando :) I can understand a bit of Hokkien but can't speak it.

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
For me english, teochew (a chinese dialect) and canto

So sad how I went to Saturdays hinese school to learn Mando for 11 years and still not fluent :(
You can speak Teochew with me. My own tongue is Hokkian (usually less accurately transliterated as Hokkien).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)