• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What laptop do u want for uni? (1 Viewer)

Which brand?

• Total voters

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
i want asus.....if not something fast, with xp pro, 60gig hard drive, 3gig hz, 256 sdd ram and everything else that comes with it.

HSC
i want a lappy which is good for video (dont worry i know what im talking about with pc's)

i thought of getting a powerbook but im more familiar with a windows interface...so ill probably get a dell. apparantly one of my dads mates is going to build one for me...score...but i shall believe it when i see it. in the meantime i shall swoon and wish after a 6000 dollar VAIO notebook...

Collin

HSC
N/A
rnitya_25 said:
i want asus.....if not something fast, with xp pro, 60gig hard drive, 3gig hz, 256 sdd ram and everything else that comes with it.
256MB RAM is fast? Try 1GB. Also unless you're someone looking for a desktop replacement notebook who doesn't care about heat or battery life, 3GHz (Pentium 4 I assume) isn't a wise choice.

Templar said:
Originally I wanted a tablet that had good gaming performance since it was planned that there would be an extensive period where a laptop is the only computer I have. Hence the M4 was the only possible choice. However at that time it just came out, so was quite expensive, and had rather poor battery life, which defied the point of the tablet in taking notes etc.

However, now it seems highly unlikely that I will be away from a powerful desktop for long periods of time, so the Acer seems a logical choice. I prefer a full sized laptop, its battery life is decent (not as good as the HP TC4200 though), extremely powerful CPU yet still has enough graphics power to get that occasion game running fluidly. In addition its price is an absolute bargain considering the level of the components it has (at least in the US), seeing that an identically configured (where possible) HP tablet cost even more.
I also prefer a full sized laptop, which is one reason I started looking into those Acers. I think overall I want the tablet function as secondary, as all I need it for is basically maths. I was looking at the C312XMi.. it has pretty much all the specs I was looking for in a non-tablet notebook, except only 512MB of RAM and the price isn't too bad.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
JKDDragon said:
256MB RAM is fast? Try 1GB. Also unless you're someone looking for a desktop replacement notebook who doesn't care about heat or battery life, 3GHz (Pentium 4 I assume) isn't a wise choice.

wow, thanks for that advice. i will go 1 gig. then what speed would i want....pentium 4 ofcourse.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
JKDDragon said:
I need it for is basically maths.
Yeah same. Even with LaTeX it's a pain to type out all the notations. Plus there are times where diagrams become useful, and the tablet function would serve that pretty well.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
wow, thanks for that advice. i will go 1 gig. then what speed would i want....pentium 4 ofcourse.

Don't go for a Pentium 4. They run extremely hot and consume a lot of power compared to a dedicated notebook chip. Plus, Intel's line of Pentium M mobile chips offer performance that is disturbingly close to that of the P4 (they use a much more efficient architecture), but with a far better battery life. Go for around a 1.80 - 2 Ghz Pentium M - that'll be perfectly fine for 99% of your computing needs.

I_F

JimmyK

Narrabeen, Sydney/Maitland, Hunter Valley
HSC
I've got a 15" PowerBook 1.67Ghz (2nd latest model) and I love it - and I'm not even @ uni yet!!
If you go intel, as stated above, dont go for P4, go for Centrino/Pentium M. The IBM PowerPC chips in macs are pretty powerhungy, but Apple have done a good job with the battery life, which is now up to a max of about 5 hours - I usually get about 2.5 to 3 out of my PowerBook, and I use it quite abit for intensive stuff like video in Final Cut Pro - but 4 If im just playing back music etc, with the screen brightness turned down a little.

Collin

HSC
N/A
natstar said:
I have a Compaqu Presario V2400- not fuzzled about the specifics but here is a link

http://h50025.www5.hp.com/hpcom/au_en/11_29_64_4592summary.html
Knowing that you're a uni student (duh).. that's not a bad notebook by the look of things.. (although I've been warned to stay away from Compaq). How have you been finding it? It boasts an AMD Turion, which is actually the Intel Pentium M's competitor, however I heard that the battery life isn't as good as a Centrino system. What's your opinion on the battery life of it eh natty?

JimmyK

Narrabeen, Sydney/Maitland, Hunter Valley
HSC
The AMD mobile chips arent quite up to the centrino/pentium M power consumption standards yet - they are still a little power hungy, but they have come along way in the past year or so. I'd leave an AMD mobile chip probally for another generation - then I'd seriously start considering an AMD chip - if i was in the market for a Windows based laptop (or one that would run macOSX ;) )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)