What makes for a good university? (1 Viewer)

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
nah thats good im getting sick and tired of all your uni related threads for some reason ??? even your thread in L&R was to do with uni.lol

i just dont like it when ppl assume something to be fact and ill immediately try to challenge it i guess

LazyBoy

HSC
Lainee said:
I just that's what happens when you go on 'education' forums - there are people who have opinions! *gasp* :p Plus people who are... how say... bored because with holidays at the moment there's no studying to be done. lol

So that was the question - 'what do you want out of a uni'. :p Like house hunting... what are you looking for when uni hunting?! (uni shopping? uni selecting? uni choosing? take your pick of synonyms :) )
pffft i never used to study during high school

Lainee

HSC
Asquithian said:
So many people here saying what a good uni is and they havnt even started :p
I know what a good car even if I don't own one. :) Don't look down on us post-HSC-ers just because we haven't started uni yet - we still know what we want in an education! And we still have faith that somewhere out there there is a uni that can cater to our educational wants. :p

Irreputable facts about uni

1. If you do law or med or some other hard degree you are going to be working hard.

2. Learning for the sake of learning flys out of the window in about week 5.

3. I've sat on the unsw lawn about 5 times in 2 years. Only part time arts students, those who live near uni and those who care non about marks sit on the lawn.

4. Marking is often quite random.

6. Uni is full of people who have their own little groups.

7. You often don't need to go to arts lectures.

8. Uni is full of really dumb ditzy people. You wonder how the hell they got into uni.

9. Uni is full of christians. Usually arm outstreched giving you some flyer that is meant to save your life.

10. Uni goes very very quickly. Before you know it you will be graduating.

11. Teachers don't care, they will not hold your hand. Lecturers often dont want to be lecture and hate lecturing dumb first years.
I read the first 2 points and then I was like - nah, if these are true I want to find out for myself! No need to get all pessimistic (how many 's's are there is pessimistic?) already. I just got into the course I wouldn't even dare dream I would get into and probably the case for many people here too :) you -must- remember how it felt like to just start uni Asq! Wasn't -that- long ago!

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
Asquithian said:
Irreputable facts about uni

Lecturers often dont want to be lecture and hate lecturing dumb first years.
well if that's the case then private colleges are heaps good - one of my lecturers rang me up the other day (at home) to discuss my subjects for this semester, and was suggesting ways to resolve a clash on my timetable. Haven't even gone to registration day yet!

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
Asquithian said:
The advanatage of going to a tiny college.

You work out your own timtables clashes where I go :p

Not all lecturers are like I suggested. But some don't want to lecture to sometimes ignorant and arrogant first years.
yeah, usually i worked out my own clashes last year, but this was a major one that required dropping a subject and taking on a new one. (haha i'm not that slack!) :p

understandable, lect's would find that frustrating . it'll be good not being a 1st year anymore, hoping that the arrogant, ignorant and/or uncommitted are mostly weeded out before they reach 2nd year! :)

Last edited:

happy cup

has left BOS :)
HSC
N/A
I think the...
- Reputation of the course I'm interested in
- Atmosphere of the uni
- Resources. (library, facilities etc.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)