What motivates you? (1 Viewer)

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Are you motivated by success, or are you motivated by failure?

Which one is better? (and why)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: The p00n thread

Like everyone tells me to not dwell and be depressed over an exam because it doesn't help and you can't do anything but move on (and do the next one)... But it always happen....

tbh, depression + frustration usually helps me to come back stronger rather than backfire (i.e. bad mentality going into the next test).

Siddy123

HSC

better to have the mindset... " i wanna study so i can do this, this and this.." ( ambition based)
as opposed to " i better study coz if i dont this this and this will happen" ( fear based)

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A

I think this is true: "Ones best success comes after their greatest disappointments."

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad

better to have the mindset... " i wanna study so i can do this, this and this.." ( ambition based)
as opposed to " i better study coz if i dont this this and this will happen" ( fear based)
yes
get a high atar and live like a king

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

You haven't seen me play in laser tag. I'm a fkn tiger
Well I actually move like a ninja because my powerwalk is like a run. #thuglyf

And Aysce/Rivalry, it's always been self pressure with me, my parents never pushed me academically at all, as I said 37 ATAR difference between siblings and they didn't either way. They just want happy and good hearted children.

I am motivated more by success as it has an on rolling success. Typically if I fail at something, it is hard because I never do anything at a half try, or semi try so it's sometimes hard to regroup after failure. Depends on the situation though, I do get fire if I feel I want to prove something to someone, but I am definitely motivated more by success as it gives me confidence and a pursuit to go for even better the next time.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

Both tbh. (Yes, it's weird)

When I succeed, I believe I can create the same success over and over again. Thus, I raise my standards.

BUT THEN, I end up choking the next time and thus, failure occurs.

Then I'll end up depressed/frustrated with the failure but I come back stronger (I overestimate the upcoming challenges, become more cautious, lower my standards, reduce over-confidence levels but all of these help me attain success again rather than backfire).

It's like a business cycle filled with fluctuations.

As for the better one... It's definitely being motivated by failure... Like a youtube video once said 'It's not about how hard you hit, but it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward'

Siddy123

HSC

Both tbh. (Yes, it's weird)

When I succeed, I believe I can create the same success over and over again. Thus, I raise my standards.

BUT THEN, I end up choking the next time and thus, failure occurs.

Then I'll end up depressed/frustrated with the failure but I come back stronger (I overestimate the upcoming challenges, become more cautious, lower my standards, reduce over-confidence levels but all of these help me attain success again rather than backfire).

It's like a business cycle filled with fluctuations.

As for the better one... It's definitely being motivated by failure... Like a youtube video once said 'It's not about how hard you hit, but it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward'
dafuq m8
rocky

Aysce

HSC

I am motivated more by success as it has an on rolling success. Typically if I fail at something, it is hard because I never do anything at a half try, or semi try so it's sometimes hard to regroup after failure. Depends on the situation though, I do get fire if I feel I want to prove something to someone, but I am definitely motivated more by success as it gives me confidence and a pursuit to go for even better the next time.
That was my greatest source of motivation but now the way I see it is you don't need to prove how good you are to others but moreso to yourself.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Oh and I am more motivated by failure I think, but only when there is time to fix what had gone wrong. I feel more invigorated and fired up for anything right after I do not do well in it.

Siddy123

HSC

That was my greatest source of motivation but now the way I see it is you don't need to prove how good you are to others but moreso to yourself.
i know whyyyyyyy

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

You definitely need inner motivation, it's not beating about others though-only a few people/situations in my life has it been a relevant motivation (and usually just the short term, the long term comes within).

Like the time my careers advisor told me I'd struggle to get 88 because I had a complacent attitude. Oh when this really stuck up witch women said I couldn't do something because I went to a comprehensive and my parents were merchant class (I know right, what is this the middle ages?).

enoilgam

HSC

To be honest, niether. With me, I have a goal in place and I am motivated to get the job done. I always analyse failures and success to plan for the future.

One of my favourite quotes (Frost FTW): (exact wording changed a little from the poem)

"I took the road less travelled by, and that has made all the difference."-pretty much my mantra when I decided to go overseas in the middle of Yr 12.

I also love Ali's

"I run long on the road, before I dance under the lights".

I am a quote lover though in general.
I drive my friends insane with all my quoting. I was watching TV yesterday when I heard one of my favourite quotes again "What's a lie when every man has his own truth".

This so much. That's why I'm so against this 'everyone can get 99 ATAR' thing that some people have etc.- I know heaps of people that have done their best and gotten 70's or 80's or 90's etc. and they are proud of themselves and so they should be. Its all about individual potential. This will make me sound like an amazing douchebag and I'm sorry in advance haha but say if I got a 99.00 ATAR, I'd personally be quite disappointed in myself because I know I have the potential to do better than that. If someone else has the potential to get 85 and gets 85, then at the end of the day, they've won and anyone who looks down on them for having a higher ATAR is a cock in my view.
Finally, a high achiever who doesnt think that just because they can do it, so can everyone else. Wherefore art thou rep!

Like the time my careers advisor told me I'd struggle to get 88 because I had a complacent attitude. Oh when this really stuck up witch women said I couldn't do something because I went to a comprehensive and my parents were merchant class (I know right, what is this the middle ages?).
I told you the story about that teacher who told me off in year 11 about being lazy and I lost it at her. Although I will say, that didnt motivate me.

Eg155

HSC

LHS be my motivator. Not even a goal of med is getting me going right now.

The only thing I have is creaming some know it alls in my grade, and I don't think that's the best way to gain motivation as I have discussed with Enoil.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

LHS be my motivator. Not even a goal of med is getting me going right now.

The only thing I have is creaming some know it alls in my grade, and I don't think that's the best way to gain motivation as I have discussed with Enoil.
Hello little sis, I will step to the plate.

You will fail trying to focus on beating others in your grade, it will die on the head when you try to motivate yourself to study for the HSC with the school environment removed (trust me, after trials, trying to study without the daily school thing is tough).

So I will share some motivational tips:
*Have a dream, be prepared to dream vividly (I would guess med in this case)
*Know all the different pathways for it (straight med, med sci transfer, graduate etc.)
*Set an overarching goal for the year i.e ATAR/UMAT goal
*You must set little goals all the way, either weekly or on each assessment task. Set them achievable and the motivation will help you keep going.
*Finding what motivates you is important. For me personally, I loved having to do lists each night, way more effective than time based study. Also the inclusion of incentives for crossing off so many things helps, as we all know the impulsive short term part of your brain is way more powerful than the one seeing the big picture. I used to do stuff like, cross two things off-take dog for half hour walk, cross 5 things off-watch an episode of 30 Rock etc. The only thing you gotta be careful of is that you jsut don't allocate to dos for your favourite subjects and neglect others.
*Always assess why you may have underperformed on an assessment and rectify it the next time.
*Take a break every now and then when you know you've reached mental sponge capacity.

It'll be a long year if you don't break it down into little chunks :)

enoilgam

HSC

You will fail trying to focus on beating others in your grade, it will die on the head when you try to motivate yourself to study for the HSC with the school environment removed (trust me, after trials, trying to study without the daily school thing is tough).

*Know all the different pathways for it (straight med, med sci transfer, graduate etc.)
*You must set little goals all the way, either weekly or on each assessment task. Set them achievable and the motivation will help you keep going.
*Finding what motivates you is important. For me personally, I loved having to do lists each night, way more effective than time based study. Also the inclusion of incentives for crossing off so many things helps, as we all know the impulsive short term part of your brain is way more powerful than the one seeing the big picture. I used to do stuff like, cross two things off-take dog for half hour walk, cross 5 things off-watch an episode of 30 Rock etc. The only thing you gotta be careful of is that you jsut don't allocate to dos for your favourite subjects and neglect others.
*Always assess why you may have underperformed on an assessment and rectify it the next time.
*Take a break every now and then when you know you've reached mental sponge capacity.

I'm with you on all these points, but the bolded one you need to be careful with. Dreaming about a big goal is good, but dont get too emotionally attached to it - because it can end poorly.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A

Haha doesn't really matter. Just do what you would be good at :)
I will. Thanks starshine :)

That was a very helpful post. Thank you LHS! :)

Eg155

HSC

Thankyou LHS!

Yeah, i dunno. Got those tension headaches all the time now. Bah HSC is a pain. When you try to think your nerves decide to attack you with excruciating pain. Nurofen come at meh.

Ah yes, the ol' take a break thing.
.... the break turns into an extended holiday haha

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

I'm with you on all these points, but the bolded one you need to be careful with. Dreaming about a big goal is good, but dont get too emotionally attached to it - because it can end poorly.
I know where you're coming from on this. But I think it's important to recognise what your dream is. So many people with med potential don't even allow themselves to aim for it or attempt the UMAT because they are paralysed to admit they want it or failure-even when they end up getting high-ish ATARs in the end. It takes courage to recognise and pursue something, as long as you don't get crazy about it and look at it in a realistic/logical frame of mind. Nevertheless I during the year, liked to have a quick visualize of university land.

Also, I know this will sound incredibly corny, but I loved having psych up songs or a special tea for when I wanted to fit in an extra half hour of study. Some of my favs through Year 12(corny central w00t)-The Final Countdown, Original Pokemon Themesong, that Xenoblades Chronicle song and the one and awesome I'll Make a Man Out of You from Mulan. Sometimes I just needed a trigger to get back into it.

enoilgam

HSC

I know where you're coming from on this. But I think it's important to recognise what your dream is. So many people with med potential don't even allow themselves to aim for it or attempt the UMAT because they are paralysed to admit they want it or failure-even when they end up getting high-ish ATARs in the end. It takes courage to recognise and pursue something, as long as you don't get crazy about it and look at it in a realistic/logical frame of mind. Nevertheless I during the year, liked to have a quick visualize of university land.
True - it's all about moderation. Too little dreaming and you wont get anywhere, too much and it can be dangerous.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)