What motivates you? (1 Viewer)

Aysce

HSC
Re: The p00n thread

True - it's all about moderation. Too little dreaming and you wont get anywhere, too much and it can be dangerous.
I don't think it's dangerous. When you dream so much that you want something so badly, you'll get it eventually but many factors obviously come into play e.g. Mental capability and whatnot.

enoilgam

HSC

Also, I know this will sound incredibly corny, but I loved having psych up songs or a special tea for when I wanted to fit in an extra half hour of study. Some of my favs through Year 12(corny central w00t)-The Final Countdown, Original Pokemon Themesong, that Xenoblades Chronicle song and the one and awesome I'll Make a Man Out of You from Mulan. Sometimes I just needed a trigger to get back into it.
I never did this stuff - it never really got to me in that way.

But what if it ends well? Imagine that feeling.
It can also end poorly and that can have devastating personal consequences if you are too emotionally invested in something.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

Nah I was the same. I would always listen to pump up music when studying- in the morning before every exam as well I'm blast songs like Lose Yourself etc. and watch NFL big hits to get into the zone haha
Yes, sport is inspirational to watch before an exam.

^ I try to watch this every morning on an exam day.

When I didn't watch it on Tuesday, I choked 2U :( but I guess I came back stronger for Physics later on in the day. Watched on Monday for English and today for Economics.

Defs gonna watch it tomorrow and Friday.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
So I'd say when it comes down to it-my own ambition is my motivator. With a little conning of the impulse part of my brain to want to do time wasting things with junk and incentive.

Eg155

HSC
Motivation: beat school's stagnant record of rewarding 48/50 for hist ext.

inb4 fails hist ext.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

inb4 fails hist ext.
As His Ext is internally marked, don't get hung up on it, it's more about ranks due to it all being moderated to the final Ext exam anyway.

Go for 49/50 in both EE1 and EE2 woot.

enoilgam

HSC

inb4 fails hist ext.
Chin up Eg - make things all about you in terms of motivation. Dont fight history.

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
Theoretically, it should be success. But practically, it's probably failure. In my first assessments for year 12, I didn't do nearly as well as I wanted to. After that, I really knuckled down, and improved exponentially in the proceeding assessments.

jnney

lemon
HSC
True - it's all about moderation. Too little dreaming and you wont get anywhere, too much and it can be dangerous.
I'm with you on all these points, but the bolded one you need to be careful with. Dreaming about a big goal is good, but dont get too emotionally attached to it - because it can end poorly.
I don't agree with this. I don't think there is such thing as "dreaming too much", in fact, I think the people who are successful are those whose visions remain consistent. I don't think having a half-assed mentality is going to get you far - but the more persistent and consistent you are with what you what, the greater and longer lasting your motivation will be.

Even if it doesn't work out the first time, that doesn't mean you can't try again. No hardships goes to waste. You could apply the experience towards your alternative route, like LHS has suggested.

enoilgam

HSC
I don't agree with this. I don't think there is such thing as "dreaming too much", in fact, I think the people who are successful are those whose visions remain consistent. I don't think having a half-assed mentality is going to get you far - but the more persistent and consistent you are with what you what, the greater and longer lasting your motivation will be.

Even if it doesn't work out the first time, that doesn't mean you can't try again. No hardships goes to waste. You could apply the experience towards your alternative route, like LHS has suggested.
I actually agree with you on those points - I think I put it in the wrong way. I guess what I am trying to say is, dont let things consume you and tear you apart. Make sure you keep things constructive and not destructive.

jnney

lemon
HSC
I actually agree with you on those points - I think I put it in the wrong way. I guess what I am trying to say is, dont let things consume you and tear you apart. Make sure you keep things constructive and not destructive.
Oh, I know what you mean. :) Sometimes you can feel suffocated, and begin to ask why you even bother (stress, stress, stress). When that happens, take a break/breather. Then (when you are ready) revise what your original goals were and hopefully you will be back on track.

Last edited:

HSC
Uni Grad
Personally what motivates me is the fact that I can certainly achieve what I want to achieve. So basically I'd like to have the feeling that I can nail something. Another is that if I have a huge obsession with something; in which that means that I really can nail everything there, and also show heaps of passion in the work that I do.

But that's shit because it restricts me to some things, and that really made me far too laid back for uni. Which in return, not getting good grades, not getting exemptions from actuarial exams -> dropping out of actuarial studies T_T

Charlotte00

HSC
I'm motivated by success, but more from the fact that I want to do justice to my parents + teachers.

funstudy

HSC
Motivated by success. If you're motivated by failure, there'll be a point when you just give up everything. If you're motivated by success, you'll have hope you'll do better next time, and keep going.

yasminee96

HSC
im motivated by others doubts and also expectations

gotta admit though, when i do terribly in an exam, i start studying for the next exam straight away because i know i need to pull up
if i do well i just sit back and chill haha

guess it's failure for me :)

yasminee96

HSC
im motivated by others doubts and also expectations

gotta admit though, when i do terribly in an exam, i start studying for the next exam straight away because i know i need to pull up
if i do well i just sit back and chill haha

guess it's failure for me :)

enak101

HSC

Both tbh. (Yes, it's weird)

When I succeed, I believe I can create the same success over and over again. Thus, I raise my standards.

BUT THEN, I end up choking the next time and thus, failure occurs.

Then I'll end up depressed/frustrated with the failure but I come back stronger (I overestimate the upcoming challenges, become more cautious, lower my standards, reduce over-confidence levels but all of these help me attain success again rather than backfire).

It's like a business cycle filled with fluctuations.

As for the better one... It's definitely being motivated by failure... Like a youtube video once said 'It's not about how hard you hit, but it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward'
Haha, I think I know which video.

AGGGGGGGGGGH
AGHHHHHHHHHHH
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHG
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*falls over on back*

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Motivated by success rather then failure, when i get great results it just makes me want to study even harder next time to achieve higher marks. When i go crappy, that demotivate's me to an extent.

Bobbo1

HSC
Definitely success, focus on your positives and don't dwindle on your negatives...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)