• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

what options do i have if i get a UAI between 70-80? (1 Viewer)

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
time to get studying diane....i want you to come to USYD

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
2006hsc said:
I want to do commerce or economics at macquarie. UAI = 85-87%

But right now im trying my best but not 100% confident. My lowest preference is civil engineering at SYd with a uai of 80% which will probably go up.

if i do economics or bachelor of business at UWS..seeing as that is the next lowest course for them..does that just plain suck? ive heard terrible things about UWS and the low job opportunities..maybe thats just a major generalisation or stereotype.
Look at it this way, if you're already in the uni you want to be at, then it'll be alot easier later on to transfer between courses.

What kind of job are you looking for anyway 2006hsc? On a sidenote, congrats on having a very "original" BoS name! :rofl:

Datto120

HSC
2006hsc said:
if i do economics or bachelor of business at UWS..seeing as that is the next lowest course for them..does that just plain suck? ive heard terrible things about UWS and the low job opportunities..maybe thats just a major generalisation or stereotype.
quote]

I think it is both a generalisation and a stereotype
my main preference is uow and uws as my backup and looking at their job placements in the courses i am going to they are all good numbers?
Why care what your family thinks its your life not yours! It really annoys me when kids are like i had to pick these subjects coz that wat my sister did, i have to go to this school and this uni! Just live for yourself go where you wanna go. If your course is offered at uws with a low uai well go there and do so well u can transfer after your first year if your family has a whinge tell them where to go!

Last edited:

zzzz

HSC
Im probably going to be in the same boat next year. Do you reckon the UAIs for Macquarie Commerce courses will drop?? Judging from previous years it looks like they have before.

On a side note, If I get a bad UAI, do an accounting course (at TAFE) and transfer to Macquarie will i pay CSP or DFEE fees?? Also how long would the TAFE course take to complete??

Is there also a big difference between NSW and Vic UAI entry marks?? I heard that some people who dont make it in here go to Victoria and do uni there. Does anyone know how to compare the NSW UAI system and its Victorian equivalent.

Also, Dont Worry Im sure you will all do good in the HSC. Good Luck!!

HSC
yea i'm having the same issue as 2006hsc and "chubby" but mine is oppisite. My older sister finished her hsc last year and had a REAL bad UAI (mid 50s). I'm hoping to do software engineering, but with that happening to my sister (when we were younger, we were deemed reasonably same in intelligence), but yea as gangsta said, engineering is 85 or so, but at the moment i'm trying, wanna see if i can pull off the marks needed for it.

Yea i heard UWS isn't to good either. My career's adviser said that if it comes down to it, goto TAFE, how nice is that for UWS. IT (Games Development) at Hornsby TAFE would give me a 1 year credit to B Comp Science at UTS, which is why i would go to tafe and not uws.

But yea, if you guys have rellies who have received higher results, you're most likely to do the same as well. I just hope my sister was just really unlucky, or really lazy, cause i don't want to end up with same uai as her.

zzzz, TAFE courses are normally 2 years, and will give you close to a full year's credit, depending on the similarities of the course (as in between TAFE and uni). Not sure about the csp/dfee, i believe csp is still offered even if you enter through TAFE. NSW is high in some courses than others, i have a friend who is going to vic next year, cause she is moving, and she said that psychology there is a lot lower then it is up here.

Last edited:

zzzz

HSC
Thanks for the reply!

Yeh maybe it would be better to go to TAFE- then you can at least get some qualification (maybe get a job or somethin) and then transfer into a better Uni. Hopefully CSP will be offered though.

Also, does anyone know how to compare NSW and Victorian UAI marks??

Good Luck once again for your HSC.

HSC
zzzz, just keep in mind with TAFE that it can be pretty specific, as in, from TAFE to uni. Some/all univerties require a certain course at a certain TAFE. Others might not even get you into uni, and some will give you some sort of standing over others.

But yea, focus on getting into university, TAFE is a plan B. For me, the conditions that i gave apply to me because Hornsby TAFE and UTS has a deal to give the top 20 students in IT Games Design a B Comp Sci second year entry into UTS.

NSW and Vic UAI varies quite a bit. Courses are a lot harder to get into in NSW then Vic (from what i heard). You could look into it yourself, google it a little.

Chiisora

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
We all want to get to university. But only 30% do. 40% goes to TAFE and the other 30% are scattered everywhere else (ie. workforce etc.)...

zzzz

HSC
^^^

Actually, a few days ago the TAFE person came to our school to give us an overrun on how TAFE works etc. I have nothing aginst TAFE, but as you say we all want to go to uni.

TAFE isnt a bad option as then you could get the hang of the course, get a diploma and then go to uni if you want. Of the 30% that go to uni, according to what weve been told almost 1/2 fail their first year (is this true??)

Cheers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)