What other job prospects are there? (1 Viewer)

Bridgemonkey

HSC
I'm doing app fin/com-prof accounting double degree, and I'm not sure whether I want to go directly into accounting, so what other good paying job prospects are there for this degree? Combined with finance can I get more 'interesting' career options maybe?

Also say I was to go down the accounting road and get my CPA/CA (how hard is it to get this?) will I be able to move into other better roles than simply accounting and stuff. Cuz I heard it opens a lot of doors... but just in the accounting world?

sanndiiee

HSC
The Com-Professional Accounting degree is CPA/CA accredited

randomguy777

HSC
N/A
don't worry about job prospects because too much yet. most ppl don't end up working where they want to work or even in a relevant field. so u can do accounting all you want but the real world job market is much different.

get yourself into the door first, if u are first year student try get cadet position(probably too late by now) if not then internship. if that doesn't work out go network aggressively ask ppl you meet for work experience opportunities. most ppl find their career start this way

most careers aren't something you can work towards just because you want to work hard. everyone has to work in generic accounting fields like tax/advisory/audit before they can move up the corporate ladder.
if you like name dropping of higher level professions other than the investment analysts, there's fund management.

university is not what it seems or purports to be. it is simply a business like no other that wants to make money. however it doesn't deliver.

doing accounting simply because everybody's doing it or you've heard of opportunities, is a waste of time if you are ill informed. most of them don't even find relevant jobs within 2 years and end up at retaiil/boost juice(i saw a guy the other day still working there).

Last edited:

EazyEEE

HSC
Hi, your post seem to be pretty helpful
Can you please tell me more about cadet positions? I have never heard of them.
Also whats the difference between an internship for highschool and uni?

Thanks a lot

KidDang

HSC
Uni Grad
Cadetship are what some companies give to students- and during your studies you might also have to be working for the company part-time. Doing the same jobs but with lower pay, the good thing however is you're guaranteed a job when you graduate in that company- becareful though because the workload isn't tolerable by everyone.

Work placements for your VET-courses in highschool are run for a maximum of 1week or so. Internships are somewhat similar where a company will accept you working with them for a period of time, your intern will be in a company with relevance to your degree and in some cases count towards credit for some of your units.

The structure of an Intern is generally very professional too it can go for a few weeks or a few months in that time you will rotate around different sectors or departments in the business. This allows you to discover what you're most interested in, this can be paid or unpaid. After your internship you may get a chance to work with them after you graduate- if notit is still good for your CV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)