What radioisotopes are you doing? (1 Viewer)

bloodysunday

Galactic Hitch-hiker
HSC
I'm doing technetium-99 for the medical isotope if it comes up. Its the one they use as a tracer in the bloodstream - it bonds to the blood cells in the presence of a tin compound so they can detect clots and tumors etc

Doogsy

yep that (its actually technetium-99m) and cobalt 60 for industry
do we need one for agriculture or is that just for phsyics?

DAAVE

HSC
1 For medicine 1 for industry

I'm doing Tc-99m (the m is important, without it, normal Tc-99 has a very long half life, it means something like meta-stable state or something).

And sodium-24 which is chemically bonded to Chloride and this salt is dissolved in water and used in pipes to detect leaks. Low half life ensures that the water is safe in a short time.

DAAVE

HSC
You could also do cobalt 60 for medicine and industry

In medicine it is used for cancer treatment, in industry its used for thickness detection.

Doogsy

yeah it is good, i think you can also use Tc-99m for industry, though im not entirely sure where. leaks in pipe systems maybe

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
I don't know of any industrial use of Tc-99m - it is really too expensive to use for something like leak detectors.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
It is used to trace waste water flow, which would only be needed to be conducted under rare circumstances, I used it for both. Since it is non-toxic, bonds readily and is a γ emitter.

Paroissien

HSC
That's good to know as I was starting to get worried about an industrial radioisotope

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
It is fissionable.

Its radioisotope properties aren't really used.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)