• We have a few events lined up for the October school holidays!
    Watch this space...

What raw marks in extension 2 generally correspond to state ranks? (1 Viewer)

TheOnePheeph

HSC
Well, I only recently started looking at uni maths because I'm too old for the comps now. Nothing official, but I've done some of my own research work. I haven't done much tho becos rest of HSC cancer (especially with new science and english courses)
Yeah I feel that, English is shit. My teacher got me to have a brief look at linear algebra and taylor series/convergence tests, as well as 1st and 2nd order differential equations, just from a textbook. How do the comp streams work though? Our school kinda just called a few of us in to do the test without any real warning lol, don't think anyone got above a distinction.

sharky564

A more accurate question is 'When am I located?'
HSC
Yeah I feel that, English is shit. My teacher got me to have a brief look at linear algebra and taylor series/convergence tests, as well as 1st and 2nd order differential equations, just from a textbook. How do the comp streams work though? Our school kinda just called a few of us in to do the test without any real warning lol, don't think anyone got above a distinction.
Well, our school has compulsory participation in the Australian Maths Comp for yr 7 and 8. I did it in yr 7 and got 131/135, which was equivalent to a medal (top 0.03% or smth), and was invited to the Australian School of Excellence. This is a maths camp designed specifically for ppl who are likely to go well in comp maths and train them for the IMO team. Have a look at the AMT website for more info about it.

TheOnePheeph

HSC
Well, our school has compulsory participation in the Australian Maths Comp for yr 7 and 8. I did it in yr 7 and got 131/135, which was equivalent to a medal (top 0.03% or smth), and was invited to the Australian School of Excellence. This is a maths camp designed specifically for ppl who are likely to go well in comp maths and train them for the IMO team. Have a look at the AMT website for more info about it.
Lol nice, I didn't know it went that deep. Highest I've ever gotten on it was high distinction in year 8 or something, and have only ever gotten credits/distinctions since then. I'm angry about the one this year though, the website kept crashing for us and there were like at least 3 of the last 5 questions that I could have done. I really hate the tests though, have never really been good at them. If there are kids like you out there doing the extension 2 paper though, I feel like its impossible for me to get a state rank haha.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hopefully this year's last question doesn't prevent potential state-rankers from doing their best like last year's silly geometry question.

TheOnePheeph

HSC
Hopefully this year's last question doesn't prevent potential state-rankers from doing their best like last year's silly geometry question.
Yeah I hated that geometry question. It shows how bad some recent years have gotten in ext 2, either having easy Q16s (2014, 2017) or artificially difficult ones (2018). If you compare to like 2001 or even 2010, which had some really genuinely difficult questions, it is obvious how uninspired they have gotten. In fact the only post 2012 paper I thought was good was 2016, and even that wasn't great until Q16. Oh well, hopefully 2019 will be a bit better haha, since it is the last year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)