What Should be Expected in 2012 Engineering HSC exam? (1 Viewer)

White5tar

HSC
I was just wondering what do you expect in the HSC exam in 2012 and what kind of papers should i do to get enough revision for this HSC.

-- Thanks

BlackKlavier

HSC
the structure of the exam is the same.
know sketching mechanics and ethics etc. really only way to say it is a bit of everything.
consider doing all the hsc papers. they really help.

Pattg25

HSC
its gonna be a shit exam to put it simple. make sure you know the truss analysis, they are always there, moments questions and pressure questions, the plane questions with teh force diagram are usually there but a lot of theory helps as well, there is a lot of common sense involved (if you have the mindset i do) its normally simple stuff and you have to know the shit syllabus that currently exists :(

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
9 marks out of 100 went to drawing last year. Big marks that are easy to lose, make sure you know what you're doing.

mark120

HSC
Do past papers. The independent Trials are good ones. Make sure you know how to do all the different kinds of calculations and maybe read different text books like Copeland and the Excel text book....

gr_111

HSC
I reckon the CSSA papers better reflect the HSC; Independent papers have a lot more longer response questions, which there aren't that many of in the actual HSC.

zhou

HSC
Uni Grad
I reckon the CSSA papers better reflect the HSC; Independent papers have a lot more longer response questions, which there aren't that many of in the actual HSC.
do you happen to have copies of CSSA papers?

lemon1

HSC
Anyone know where i can find some good drawing questions and answers? I lost about 10 marks in the trials because i couldn't understand what to do or how to draw whatever i had to haha

zhou

HSC
Uni Grad
Anyone know where i can find some good drawing questions and answers? I lost about 10 marks in the trials because i couldn't understand what to do or how to draw whatever i had to haha
There are actually sample answers of the drawings on Board of Studies from the 2008-2011 papers. Start by doing those. If you want further practise, do the pre-2008 drawings and ask your teacher to correct mistakes.

Roy216

HSC
its gonna be a shit exam to put it simple. make sure you know the truss analysis, they are always there, moments questions and pressure questions, the plane questions with teh force diagram are usually there but a lot of theory helps as well, there is a lot of common sense involved (if you have the mindset i do) its normally simple stuff and you have to know the shit syllabus that currently exists :(
Man I've done some papers for engineering which have questions that are no where to be found in the syllabus? It is such an unreliable subject. Are they looking at the old syllabus for 2011 HSC or the new 2013 HSC syllabus?

zhou

HSC
Uni Grad
Roy, which past papers examine questions out of the syllabus? My teacher and I agree that the syllabus is very broad and unreliable. Dot points like the logic gate one in PPT.
We're looking at the old syllabus only. The 2013 syllabus is for the 2013 HSC and beyond.

machine2035

HSC
N/A
Man I've done some papers for engineering which have questions that are no where to be found in the syllabus? It is such an unreliable subject. Are they looking at the old syllabus for 2011 HSC or the new 2013 HSC syllabus?
I know right.. IIRC, last night I saw 3 questions on logic gates in the last 3 years.. and I can't even find a mention of it in the syllabus! EDIT: After looking at Zhou's post, I went on a searching mission and found; - Explain elementry digital logic I am guessing by the use of 'elementry' we only need to know AND, OR and NOT... However you never with this bunch.

Last edited:

mark120

HSC
Yea i dont think it is.... My teacher spent a lesson on it, its not too hard once you get the basics...

zhou

HSC
Uni Grad
Digital logic is in personal and public transport. They'll never ask you something outside the syllabus, the syllabus is just badly written, as it may be so broad, allowing unexpected things to come up.

Roy216

HSC
Digital logic is in personal and public transport. They'll never ask you something outside the syllabus, the syllabus is just badly written, as it may be so broad, allowing unexpected things to come up.
Yeah the syllabus really is badly written it doesn't really ask for specifics like most other subjects, logic gates or digital logic (idk what they're called) isn't even in my book for the PPT chapter, i found one diagram which probably resembled 40% of those logic things. I've been told that sometimes different books won't cover certain aspects while others will.

zhou

HSC
Uni Grad
The past three years have seen a question on digital logic. Assuming this trend continues, it seems they only examine simple knowledge of AND, OR and NOT gates.

Personally I found http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/logic-gate-AND-OR-XOR-NOT-NAND-NOR-and-XNOR very helpful in understanding these three gates. Additionally my teacher actually went over it in a lesson.

As seen in previous years, you may need to interpret or build your own digital logic control.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)