What should I combine law with at UNSW? I want to work in a corporate law firm (1 Viewer)

study12345

HSC
However is commerce/law or eco/law absolutely necessary for this? Would that be the best combination?
I am also interested in international studies or perhaps arts.
Thankyou

Jinks

HSC
I wouldn't say it's absolutely necessary but commerce/law will obviously give you a nice advantage as well as a solid background.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
I have spoken to the HR of many top tier firms and they say it doesn't matter. They only care if you do law. Doing commerce is a bonus but not essential. You got to remember that there are so many practice groups at law firms e.g. Construction, corporate, intellectual property, tax, dispute resolution etc. Different degrees will be more helpful in certain areas e.g. Science is more useful than a commerce degree if you are looking at Energy and Resources.

study12345

HSC
I have spoken to the HR of many top tier firms and they say it doesn't matter. They only care if you do law. Doing commerce is a bonus but not essential. You got to remember that there are so many practice groups at law firms e.g. Construction, corporate, intellectual property, tax, dispute resolution etc. Different degrees will be more helpful in certain areas e.g. Science is more useful than a commerce degree if you are looking at Energy and Resources.

thanks for your reply. I did really well in high school in economics, legal studies and business studies and enjoy it moderately I guess, however I have always wanted to learn a language and study Europe (so arts or international studies) but would this be a waste of time and not improve my job prospects in any way?

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
thanks for your reply. I did really well in high school in economics, legal studies and business studies and enjoy it moderately I guess, however I have always wanted to learn a language and study Europe (so arts or international studies) but would this be a waste of time and not improve my job prospects in any way?
Actually it can be quite helpful. A lot of the big firms are now expanding internationally and knowing more about a region or language can be quite helpful. There is no ideal candidate. They look for various things and mainly whether you will fit into the firm. I say just be yourself and if they like you they will hire you.

study12345

HSC
Actually it can be quite helpful. A lot of the big firms are now expanding internationally and knowing more about a region or language can be quite helpful. There is no ideal candidate. They look for various things and mainly whether you will fit into the firm. I say just be yourself and if they like you they will hire you.
sorry for the late reply!
I'm still so indecisive. Can you tell me about comm/law since you do it? Do you like it ? :) Is it demanding and what do you hope to do when you graduate?

lawstu

HSC
No strict formula for a corporate lawyer, but having good grades, glowing references, a solid interview, a sincere interest in corporate law work, etc. go a long way.

A B.Comm. is thought to be beneficial, or at least traditional, as is a B.A. In my experience, however, firms are not as interested in where you got your degree or what your partner degree was as they are in what you bring to the bench and whether you would mesh well.
If you don't be yourself, chances are you'll hate yourself.

If you be yourself too much, chances are they won't hire you.
However is commerce/law or eco/law absolutely necessary for this? Would that be the best combination?
I am also interested in international studies or perhaps arts.
Thankyou
There is no 'best' combination. Further, ultimately you have to make a decision yourself and accept consequences of that decision.

But by the sound of your posts, you could do a B.A./LL.B. if that is what most interests you. You can choose courses/classes in the Business School with the B.A. IIRC.
Is it demanding and what do you hope to do when you graduate?
From mates that undertook B.Comm.s, regardless of the major, it is a walk in the park in absolute and relative terms.

Caveat: The exception to this is actuarial studies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)