What should i concentrate on? (1 Viewer)

interesting

HSC
N/A
I'm going for maths ext 2 but what should i concentrate more on:
Extension 2 Maths or Business Studies?
To me, business is really boring and hate remembering so much content but i heard that i should concentrate on lower scaling subjects?
But extension 2 also requires a lot of work too so i don't know what to concentrate on, i'm alright in maths ext 1 but not so great..
btw i have 12 units next year so yeah, any opinions on what i should concentrate MORE on in year 12?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Extension 2 requires a significant amount of dedication and commitment but shouldn't come at the expense of other subjects.

Considering they're both 2 units, you need to manage your time effectively rather than concentrating significantly on one whilst neglecting the other.

thoth1

Banned
HSC
always concentrate on ur low scaling subjects like Business studies.

interesting

HSC
N/A
oh yeah out of curiosity.. do you know how they take the best 10 units. does that mean in terms of HSC marks or after the alighnment and stuff . like if i got 60 in extension 2 wouldnt that be higher than getting an 80 in business after all the scaling and all

michaeljennings

HSC
oh yeah out of curiosity.. do you know how they take the best 10 units. does that mean in terms of HSC marks or after the alighnment and stuff . like if i got 60 in extension 2 wouldnt that be higher than getting an 80 in business after all the scaling and all
nice question, i was wondering about this the other day

enoilgam

HSC
Its the 10 best scaling units. I got a band 5 in economics and that counted over my band 6 in SOR I.

michaeljennings

HSC
Extension 2 requires a significant amount of dedication and commitment but shouldn't come at the expense of other subjects.
+1, after my first assessment for extension 2 i received a poor mark even though i had put in a lot of time into studying for it and because of it my other subjects suffered as a result. I decided that i would have to cut back on the amount of time i spent doing ext 2, in the end i think it was a good decision.

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
e.g. you should aim for 95+ in business but only like 80+ in MX2

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Concentrate on the one you're struggling with the most.

tambam

HSC
I do business studies but not maths ex2, but assuming from your atar aim that you're fairly smart, I'd say its not actually possible to dedicate a great deal of effort to it, not only cost its boring but because its so simple.

The only difficult bit is memorizing the syllabus word for word, otherwise its mostly common sense. Just make sure you have a good set of brief notes, and study a business which you have a great interest in for your case studies.
Do theoccasional practice responses to makesure you have the technique and structure of answering questions down pact.

So just put in occasional consistent effort for business, and regular effort for maths to do well in both

thoth1

Banned
HSC
hav a look at this:
Screen shot 2011-09-17 at 3.55.39 PM.png

shows how well MX1 and MX2 scale. and how much effort u need to put into each.

Corvid

HSC
N/A
always concentrate on ur low scaling subjects like Business studies.
In this situation this would be bullshit. A student should concentrate equally on all the subjects which will count inside that best ten units while taking account of the scaling. If he doesn't like business studies I'll asuume he is holding onto it because he needs it for uni. He should just learn enough of business studies to be able to hack uni and use the rest of his efforts to maximize his marks. If he puts effort into raising his business studies, some other subject will just stop being counted in it's place, and the effort used on business studies could probably be more productive if it was used on that other subject. (this assumes business is your worst and least liked subject)

The work you put in a subject comes out with diminshing returns

interesting

HSC
N/A
actually i'm keeping business as back up if i screw up my extension 2

interesting

HSC
N/A
cheeeeers? i was actually thinking of hardcore practicing ext 2 so i can confidently get rid of business from my study life :(

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
cheeeeers? i was actually thinking of hardcore practicing ext 2 so i can confidently get rid of business from my study life :(
It would be wiser if you spread your subjects evenly, as soon as you hit 93 in Ext 2 anyway there is not much difference between a higher score of 97 than 93 on your ATAR.

Corvid

HSC
N/A
In this situation this would be bullshit. A student should concentrate equally on all the subjects which will count inside that best ten units while taking account of the scaling. If he doesn't like business studies I'll asuume he is holding onto it because he needs it for uni. He should just learn enough of business studies to be able to hack uni and use the rest of his efforts to maximize his marks. If he puts effort into raising his business studies, some other subject will just stop being counted in it's place, and the effort used on business studies could probably be more productive if it was used on that other subject. (this assumes business is your worst and least liked subject)

The work you put in a subject comes out with diminshing returns
Sorry, I got interrupted mid way. Anyway I meant to say that the work you put in a subject comes out with diminishing returns, so don't focus it all on one subject, because that same effort could be more worthwhile if you put it in towards something else.

Argh its so difficult to explain tihs concept in works :S Just read this article, its about HSC english but hopefully you'll understand my concept from it: http://www.articlesbase.com/tutoring-articles/hsc-english-is-overemphasised-877564.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)