What should I do after I finish school? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I am in Yr 12 and I have no idea what to do after I finish. Can anyone shed some light on the matter?
Lost one at work.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
As in straight after you finish the HSC or your next step in education or onto the workforce?

Well that is up to you, the interests you have and what you want to do with your life....

Season

HSC
I really hope you weren't looking for an easy answer to that question, but from someone whose sorta narrowed it down here are some tips

Eventually you'll need some higher qualification, the higher the better

you've got
-apprenticeship
-CIT/TAFE
-University

Personally I always knew I was going to go to university, I am ambitious, I will reach the top but plus my family would laugh if I said I wasn't going... immigrant families for ya huh

Ask yourself what you want out of a job, like do you want/need/avoid people contact, do you want to create? do you want to work in an office? Do you want to travel etc. Look at the subjects you enjoy and just see what pursuing them could lead too.

Or you could just work your ass off now, take a gap year and post pone any decisions until you have to make them. OR just do a generalist degree and make up your mind afterwards what you want to do, sort of what Melb. uni is moving towards

HSC
rubificticious said:
I am in Yr 12 and I have no idea what to do after I finish. Can anyone shed some light on the matter?
Lost one at work.
Think about your strengths, your interests and then think of careers along that stream. What you want out of a career, etc.

circusmind

HSC
I don't think your strengths would lie in career counselling, so we can rule that one out right away.......

petraawad

HSC
become...a personal shopper ? when i can afford to have one ill hire you, hows that sound. and on special days, you can clean my toilet :) your heading places mister, i see good things for you in the future

madgerald

HSC
N/A
well..... if I were you (which, after several hours of intense psychological anlysis, i have realised i'm not) I would seriously consider becoming either a school careers advisor or an important international political leader, like my friend George (no relation).... he's a goat, and really quite a nice fellow.... you know that reminds me of that time when i was walking down the street to go to the shops..... then.... i went home. good story isnt it? anywho looks like i better get back to feeding my pet Uperoleia Rugosa (look it up)...... cya

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
I had no idea what I wanted to do either last year, I still don't really know!!

I just knew I wanted to go uni and wanted to do something involved with helping people... so I went through the uni courses and crossed out all the things I definentely didn't want to do and eventually ruled it down and picked something I wanted to study and would find interesting.

So if uni or tafe is something you want to do then try ruling out courses first, sometimes it's easier than picking the ones you want to study. You still have a few months to decide anyway, well actually you have your whole life to decide since heaps of people change courses/careers many times :p

Or like others have suggested you could take a year off, work, bludge (gets boring though!!) or even go on exchange which would be awesome!!

HSC
FuelPumpingEngn said:
hahaha i like that!!
LOL. So do I!

Seriously though, I don't really know what to do. I have gained some insight from your help though.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
a tad vague, love.

you could do anything

if you want a more direct response, give us some insight on what your interests/strengths are, etc.

otherwise, evaluate your own strengths. also not a bad idea to flip through UAC books, go with your gut feeling: does the option look good to you? yes? no?

bored6

HSC
Finish school > university perhaps > eventually a job > wife along the way, perhaps a few children > skip a few years > retirement home / old age > death.

Sounds good.

ALLLICE

HSC
Well... what subjects r u doing for the HSC? which ones do u like/enjoy?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
-pari- said:
a tad vague, love.

you could do anything

if you want a more direct response, give us some insight on what your interests/strengths are, etc.

otherwise, evaluate your own strengths. also not a bad idea to flip through UAC books, go with your gut feeling: does the option look good to you? yes? no?
I want to be an ..... ENGINEER ... but I'm not crash hot at Maths
I want to be a ... NUCLEAR CHEMIST / PHYSICIST ... if nuclear power becomes part of Australia's electricity generation.
I want to be a ... NURSE ... if my UAI is high enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)