meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol omg just saw your pic. Your arse is NOT chunky!!!! :spzz:

vanush

kdslkf
HSC
When you say "5kgs at first", what sort of time period were you thinking?

Typically weight loss will be large at the start, then the difference will be smaller as your body shifts its balance between fat and muscle mass.

A combination of exercise + diet will help you achieve and maintain a increased level of fitness (and faster/better results).

I start my legit effort to improve fitness/etc at the start of this year, and lost 3kgs in the first month. I only made slight changes in my diet, not as much as I probably should have - things like drinking more water and trying to make healthier food choices, especially when eating out with friends, etc. After 4.5 months, I'd lost 5kgs and a dress size. Then was on a 1 month hiatus because of exams, and started up again recently. It's been 6 months now and I've maintained a total weight loss of 7kgs, and can observe vast changes in muscle tone and general energy.

I know it doesn't sound like much at all, but the weight loss i've managed to achieve feels much more permanent than any dieting or anything else i've tried before, which i think is more important than just shedding kilos for the hell of it.

The program i maintained throughout the year so far (with a heavy uni timetable as well) was ~1 hour sessions, minimum 4 days a week (aim was 5-6), combining cardio, resistance and weight training, including 20-30min weight sessions 2-3 times a week. Interspersed between that was 1-2 weekly step classes and personal training sessions when i felt like it.

Each session would consist of any of the following to fill up that one hour:
- 20mins step climber, 5.5km/hr on max tread
- 20mins bike
- 20mins x-trainer, 120 strides/min minimum
- 20mins on treadmill, max jog at 10-11km/hr
- 10mins rowing machine, 2000m
- 25mins on the weights circuit
- 15mins on chin up/etc + leg press machines

For cardio, i'd approach each session with an approximate goal for how many calories i wanted to burn. atm i'm looking at 300 calories minimum

Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but it worked for me. I guess increasing session length and a stricter diet would give you better results than i got. I still eat unhealthy food and maybe i missed my class for this week >_>, but this is something i found manageable.

hope this helps and good luck :)
post pics bby

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
LOL are you going to the cake meat?
HAAHAHA wait till you see me side on. i am disproportionate. what is your target area?
Nah I'm not going but I'd bet money that you are NOT out of proportion!
I want to lose bum and thigh fat and arm fat mainly, and also tummy fat. So basically everything except boobs >_<

but mainly bum, legs and arms

vanush

kdslkf
HSC
guys this is a tarp, she wants to lose muscle on her legs, and separately fat from other places

Just do heaps of cardio tbh

*lol*

mes ami

HSC
Nah I'm not going but I'd bet money that you are NOT out of proportion!
I want to lose bum and thigh fat and arm fat mainly, and also tummy fat. So basically everything except boobs >_<

but mainly bum, legs and arms
oh :( I will never seee you then.

Ummmm come into the cake thread i am harassing the work out junkies for tips. ask too.

amirite

HSC
Fork putdowns and plate pushaways. Theyre the best for losing fat.

I think youre getting confused between losing weight and losing fat. Most people just want to lose fat.

If you increase muscle mass by doing weights (you wont get anywhere near as big as you think you will - its biologically impossible) you increase your Basal metabolic rate which means basically you burn more energy doing nothing than you would burn doing nothing previously. This allows you to eat more without gaining as much fat and allows you to burn more while eating more or eating less. If that makes sense..

Weights increases strength, bone density, overall health so you should lift aswell as do cardio. Start you sessions off with weights 30-45mins (alternate between upper body days and lower body days) and then hit the treadmill/rower/stepper/bike for 20-30mins.

If you want 10/10 ass and legs incorporate squat and stiff-legged deadlift into your routine. ;)

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC
Fork putdowns and plate pushaways. Theyre the best for losing fat.

I think youre getting confused between losing weight and losing fat. Most people just want to lose fat.

If you increase muscle mass by doing weights (you wont get anywhere near as big as you think you will - its biologically impossible) you increase your Basal metabolic rate which means basically you burn more energy doing nothing than you would burn doing nothing previously. This allows you to eat more without gaining as much fat and allows you to burn more while eating more or eating less. If that makes sense..

Weights increases strength, bone density, overall health so you should lift aswell as do cardio. Start you sessions off with weights 30-45mins (alternate between upper body days and lower body days) and then hit the treadmill/rower/stepper/bike for 20-30mins.

If you want 10/10 ass and legs incorporate squat and stiff-legged deadlift into your routine. ;)
this thread was full of fail until this.

gjdm.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
Ok guys, so what I've gathered from your replies is this.

- cardio is what burns fat, which is what I want to do
- muscles use more energy, so I should try build some muscle mass because it'll help me lose fat faster and keep it off (?)

so I'm going to the gym at 6.30ish for an hour and a half... I'll do an hour of cardio and half an hour of weights? Or 45 mins each?

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
I Have nobody to go with. I hope people don't laugh at me :(

xMaNx

HSC
Decent little book, recommend reading (some relevant parts) of it:

amirite

HSC
Ok guys, so what I've gathered from your replies is this.

- cardio is what burns fat, which is what I want to do
- muscles use more energy, so I should try build some muscle mass because it'll help me lose fat faster and keep it off (?)

so I'm going to the gym at 6.30ish for an hour and a half... I'll do an hour of cardio and half an hour of weights? Or 45 mins each?
lol howd you go? :)

ALWAYS do weights first then cardio.

You'll never really be 'burning fat' so to speak, youll be burning calories. (There are ways but its complex) Burning calories is just the same anyway.

Ill try to give you some reasoning behind it all...

You may have a BMR of 1500 cals, which is the amount of calories necessary for the body to perform regular daily functions in a sedentary individual. If youre active then you may need 2250 cals to perform these regular functions + the exercise.
Any deficit ie. you need 2250cals but you only eat 1750 deficit of 500cals, would hopefully be accounted for by the body using stored body fat as fuel for movement.
If you eat too far below what is required this wont be as efficient, your metabolism will slow, etc. therefore a deficit of -500cals should be your aim.

If you put on muscle mass and eat at regular intervals your metabolism fasten and your BMR will be higher, allowing you to eat more and burn more.

I think what is important for you is what types of foods you will be eating. Dont be afraid of fats. Be afraid of carbs. If youre aiming for 1500cals a day then 45% should come from fats, 30-35% from carbs and 20-25% from proteins. There are 9 cals in 1 gram of fat and 4 cals in a gram of carbs or protein respectively. You should centre your carb intake around your workouts (lowGI prior to workout and highGI post workout). For best affect avoid carbs before lunch if you can and stop eating them 2 hours post workout. In these times eat mainly fats and protein. If you follow these things you will feel more awake, fuller throughout the day and your body will hopefully learn to use fats (stored and recently consumed) to fuel it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)