• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What should i do? Law students help. (1 Viewer)

aekryan

HSC
Say, hypothetically, i get into maq law and do law and commerce.
How would i transfer to NSW or Syd? Should i transfer? Would i have to complete my course of law in Maq and then do law in Syd as a post graduate JD? Wouldnt it be difficult as it would mean i need a distinction in law? wouldnt it be better to do something easier and get a distinction then transfer to law? Should i do this in the first place?

i know maq laq is third best in NSW. But it's 9/36 in Aus. Where as Usyd is 2nd and NSW is 5th. Just some guidance as to what would be best would be appreciated, even if you dont study law and you know something about transfers and how they work.

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
Say, hypothetically, i get into maq law and do law and commerce.
How would i transfer to NSW or Syd? Should i transfer? Would i have to complete my course of law in Maq and then do law in Syd as a post graduate JD? Wouldnt it be difficult as it would mean i need a distinction in law? wouldnt it be better to do something easier and get a distinction then transfer to law? Should i do this in the first place?

i know maq laq is third best in NSW. But it's 9/36 in Aus. Where as Usyd is 2nd and NSW is 5th. Just some guidance as to what would be best would be appreciated, even if you dont study law and you know something about transfers and how they work.
read up on transfers for usyd and unsw, each have different ways. usyd takes atar into account as well by the way. you wont need to do the JD after LLB as they are the same (im pretty sure) at usyd and im sure at all other unis as well. what plans do you have to do after law/comm? the answer to this may help you work it all out

dizzlemizzle

HSC
Well since there are alot of law grads these days, it'd be beneficial if you could transfer to the top uni's like UNSW/USYD, to make yourself more competitive in the job field. If your transfer is successful after doing one year at Macq, you could just apply for credit exemption so you don't have to do first year subjects again and become a second year law student at UNSW/USYD. In my opinion it'd be difficult to get a distinction in law, it'd be easier with say arts but the question is are you willing to risk getting stuck in arts?

aekryan

HSC
read up on transfers for usyd and unsw, each have different ways. usyd takes atar into account as well by the way. you wont need to do the JD after LLB as they are the same (im pretty sure) at usyd and im sure at all other unis as well. what plans do you have to do after law/comm? the answer to this may help you work it all out
Solicitor/lawyer. What other options are there?

aekryan

HSC
Well since there are alot of law grads these days, it'd be beneficial if you could transfer to the top uni's like UNSW/USYD, to make yourself more competitive in the job field. If your transfer is successful after doing one year at Macq, you could just apply for credit exemption so you don't have to do first year subjects again and become a second year law student at UNSW/USYD. In my opinion it'd be difficult to get a distinction in law, it'd be easier with say arts but the question is are you willing to risk getting stuck in arts?
Could you be more specific?So i would have to do art in either syd or NSW and then transfer internally? So i would need a distinction? Or do law in maq then transfer? Do they take the fact that you did law and accept you rather than doing arts?

dizzlemizzle

HSC
It doesn't matter what degree you did before transfer, they just look at your marks. Yeah at UNSW you can do arts and transfer internally, you need a distinction at least, high distinction to be competitive. They have like 100 spots set aside just for internal transfer students.

aekryan

HSC
NSW doesnt take into account your atar, Usyd does right?
I think i may be mid 90s but thats not enough for Syd or NSW.
if i do arts for a year in NSW, then get into NSW for 1st year. Then to transfer to Syd for second year i need a distinction correct? or just a credit as it is NSW.

m=My other option is just to do law in Maq and then see if i can get a distinction, if not, just stay in maq, because im worried about not getting a high distinction in arts.

RookieLaw

Audit.
HSC
NSW doesnt take into account your atar, Usyd does right?
I think i may be mid 90s but thats not enough for Syd or NSW.
if i do arts for a year in NSW, then get into NSW for 1st year. Then to transfer to Syd for second year i need a distinction correct? or just a credit as it is NSW.

m=My other option is just to do law in Maq and then see if i can get a distinction, if not, just stay in maq, because im worried about not getting a high distinction in arts.
NSW takes into account your atar if you external transfer, e.g. from macq to unsw.
USYD would require about an atar of 98 and also a distinction average (regardless of internal or external) someone correct me if i'm wrong.

If you really want to attend UNSW, best to do arts and internal after a year.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
NSW takes into account your atar if you external transfer, e.g. from macq to unsw.
USYD would require about an atar of 98 and also a distinction average (regardless of internal or external) someone correct me if i'm wrong.

If you really want to attend UNSW, best to do arts and internal after a year.
At USYD I'll say a minimum of 97 ATAR to be competitive and mid D average.

danielau

HSC
I'm in a similar position as you. From the help of BOS forums I would advise you to take arts at UNSW and internally transfer. On the UNSW website you will find that they only take into account your first year grades regardless of the course and atar. As for me I am doing a social research and policy degree then hopefully transfer into law 2nd year. UNSW requires 1 full time year of study and credit I believe to be eligible to apply. I hear distinction is competitive for a spot. Hm maybe you can sacrifice 1 year doing something else and then transferring into law in a go8 uni?

Anyways can someone confirm this for me: I am doing a social research and policy degree and I have not taken the core subject SLSP1000 for first year. I have chosen to take ACCT1501, LEGT1710, MARK1002 and MGMT1001 which are all first year commerce subjects. Someone advised me to take this route because it would allow me to directly transfer into 2nd year law with commerce credits? I'm confused as to why I don't need to take the core unit in my own degree. Help much appreciated!

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm in a similar position as you. From the help of BOS forums I would advise you to take arts at UNSW and internally transfer. On the UNSW website you will find that they only take into account your first year grades regardless of the course and atar. As for me I am doing a social research and policy degree then hopefully transfer into law 2nd year. UNSW requires 1 full time year of study and credit I believe to be eligible to apply. I hear distinction is competitive for a spot. Hm maybe you can sacrifice 1 year doing something else and then transferring into law in a go8 uni?

Anyways can someone confirm this for me: I am doing a social research and policy degree and I have not taken the core subject SLSP1000 for first year. I have chosen to take ACCT1501, LEGT1710, MARK1002 and MGMT1001 which are all first year commerce subjects. Someone advised me to take this route because it would allow me to directly transfer into 2nd year law with commerce credits? I'm confused as to why I don't need to take the core unit in my own degree. Help much appreciated!
Social research and policy has 12UoC general educations. However ACCT1501, LEGT1710, MARK1002 and MGMT1001 are 24UoC which means that if you don't successfully transfer into law your going to need to overload or attend summer/winter school to graduate on time. You are allowed to enroll into other subjects besides those of law, medicine or require prerequisites (sorry for the tautology).

danielau

HSC
Social research and policy has 12UoC general educations. However ACCT1501, LEGT1710, MARK1002 and MGMT1001 are 24UoC which means that if you don't successfully transfer into law your going to need to overload or attend summer/winter school to graduate on time. You are allowed to enroll into other subjects besides those of law, medicine or require prerequisites (sorry for the tautology).
Yeah I'm having a really hard time understanding what gen ed and free electives are. I still can not understand why the subjects in my own degree even cores that I don't need to take. I'm basically a bcomm student right now because I have enrolled in all their core/flexi core subjects.

Yeah I'm aware of the risks with transferring. I think it is worth taking because I am certain I will not stay in this degree but whether I transfer into comm/law is another question because if I combine law with something else these comm subjects are a complete waste! Also, like the OP is asking, although you already mentioned D is competitive, more about how I can ensure my transfer to go smoothly? Is credit not enough? At BARE minimum I will need a D even mid D? How hard is it to maintain such an average? 80+ is where I am aiming but I hear that that is very hard. Are first year comm subjects getting D hard?

danielau

HSC
Really need advice on how hard it is to maintain a D average in ACCT1501, LEGT1701, MARK1001 and MGMT1001. I must achieve such a grade because if I do not I risk not graduating on time, wasting time and money like omni said. Extremely worried about locking myself in commerce because I have no social research and policy subjects under my belt in first year.

Questioning if this is a risk worth taking.

Last edited:

jayz1

HSC
Don't know if this will be helpful but I just transferred from MQ comm/law to USYD, but I'm pretty sure that USYD will take the better 'score' of 50% ATAR/50% GPA or 100% GPA if that makes any sense at all.

If you go MQ, just make sure your average mark is around 80-85 and I would say you would be competitive.

danielau

HSC
Don't know if this will be helpful but I just transferred from MQ comm/law to USYD, but I'm pretty sure that USYD will take the better 'score' of 50% ATAR/50% GPA or 100% GPA if that makes any sense at all.

If you go MQ, just make sure your average mark is around 80-85 and I would say you would be competitive.
Yeah I understand what you mean haha. I thought USYD does 20% ATAR 80% uni. I only know UNSW that takes uni results only for internal transfers :/ Hmm the problem is how hard will it be to maintain 80 in first year comm subjects? XD Do you need to study a lot for 80?

Swiftsea

HSC
I think no matter which course you do, if you intend to do well, study sufficiently and effectively.

I, on the other hand, am weighing the ball between selecting Monash Commerce of Commerce/Law at Macquarie. What would you guys choose and why? I think I will start another thread for this too.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I think no matter which course you do, if you intend to do well, study sufficiently and effectively.

I, on the other hand, am weighing the ball between selecting Monash Commerce of Commerce/Law at Macquarie. What would you guys choose and why? I think I will start another thread for this too.
If you are serious about law then Macq.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)