What should i do? (re: maths) (1 Viewer)

zuey

HSC
Hi..

Need some advice here.. im in year 11, exams starting 2 moro.. all throughout the year ive failed 2unit maths, every assessment i had and my half yearlys, ive gotten 30% and under.. im expecting another 30% mark in the upcoming yearly exams..

So, what should i do? is it worth me dropping down to general maths? im behind in SO much of my work, i havent finished half the chapters the class has been through, i barely know anything..

If i continue 2unit in year 12, im not sure if i will do well.. i have to admit i havent been studying the way a year 11 student should hence my crap marks.. i want to change that for year 12 but im behind so badly i dont know if that would help..

Do i have hope?
:mad:

ratcher0071

HSC
zuey said:
Hi..

Need some advice here.. im in year 11, exams starting 2 moro.. all throughout the year ive failed 2unit maths, every assessment i had and my half yearlys, ive gotten 30% and under.. im expecting another 30% mark in the upcoming yearly exams..

So, what should i do? is it worth me dropping down to general maths? im behind in SO much of my work, i havent finished half the chapters the class has been through, i barely know anything..

If i continue 2unit in year 12, im not sure if i will do well.. i have to admit i havent been studying the way a year 11 student should hence my crap marks.. i want to change that for year 12 but im behind so badly i dont know if that would help..

Do i have hope?
I'm not sure, if there is hope. How do others in your class feel about you getting low marks?

hu5sla

HSC
i say yes drop to general

i have 38% for the first test and decided to drop to general straight away
in the class i didnt feel motivated, i was bored, crap teacher, crap students

when it came to general
i was motivated, we had a fun teacher who could teach, mad students even though they muck around i know i am advantaged if they muck around haha :p

zuey

HSC
ratcher0071 said:
I'm not sure, if there is hope. How do others in your class feel about you getting low marks?
Thing is.. i dunno. Our class consists of about 20 international students who we, (about 7 non international students) dont really talk to or anything.. The 7 of us stick together and generally all get low marks..

wendus

krawr.
HSC
drop to general. and just work at it. general maths should be a freakin breeze.

ratcher0071

HSC
zuey said:
Thing is.. i dunno. Our class consists of about 20 international students who we, (about 7 non international students) dont really talk to or anything.. The 7 of us stick together and generally all get low marks..
If a lot of people are getting low marks, i suggest you stick to maths 2unit.
Otherwise drop down to general.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
hu5sla said:
i say yes drop to general

i have 38% for the first test and decided to drop to general straight away
in the class i didnt feel motivated, i was bored, crap teacher, crap students

when it came to general
i was motivated, we had a fun teacher who could teach, mad students even though they muck around i know i am advantaged if they muck around haha :p
Whatta sick cunt! Uleh!

Lol if you've been failing all your 2U exams, then drop it.

Robin Hood

HSC
I'm going to be a hippocrit when i say this but it is wise to drop to general, my mate went from 3 unit maths to general and got 99% in a test. That was his first general class as well. i know other mates who went from 40-50% 2U maths to geneal and got 60-80% in their first tests.
General is alot easier in year 11 but I know after attending a few year 12 general classes that you cannot slack off in year 12 thinking it will be a breeze.

blackglitter

HSC
I say, if the majority of your class is failing too, consider sticking to it. If it's impacting on your other subjects, however, maybe general might be a better idea. But, I really think you should talk to your teacher/careers adviser before you make a final decision.

zuey

HSC
blackglitter said:
I say, if the majority of your class is failing too, consider sticking to it. If it's impacting on your other subjects, however, maybe general might be a better idea. But, I really think you should talk to your teacher/careers adviser before you make a final decision.
about that, a FAIR BIT of people in the class ARE failing it.. the top mark for exams and stuff are WAY lower than the 3 unit class that do the same tests.. our highest mark in the assessment that just passed was like, 70% yet the 3unit class was topping it at like 99% and stuff...

i will talk to my teacher again who advised me to drop, but my tutor was totally against it..

personally, i beleive i have the potential.. but being so late into the prelim course/start of hsc course.. catching up will be a bi*ch and im not sure i could manage..

*sigh* growing up is ghey..

hu5sla

HSC
Robin Hood said:
I'm going to be a hippocrit when i say this but it is wise to drop to general, my mate went from 3 unit maths to general and got 99% in a test. That was his first general class as well. i know other mates who went from 40-50% 2U maths to geneal and got 60-80% in their first tests.
General is alot easier in year 11 but I know after attending a few year 12 general classes that you cannot slack off in year 12 thinking it will be a breeze.
im one of those people who dropped to general and got 80% in the first general test
and also top 10% in my year

Claudeski

HSC
zuey said:
Hi..

Do i have hope?
I had this problem at the start of the year... getting ~40% in tests. So I was looking around the internet for some solutions and i came across this site www.mathematics.com.au. I looked at some demo lessons and they actually looked alright. So anyway I used it for around 20mins a night in the hols for about 2-3 weeks on the topics that were in the next test, and i got 72% in it which was tied top of the class! So if you're prepared to spend some money, its a good option and it doesn't require a lot of hard work (apart from constant use).

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Claudeski said:
I had this problem at the start of the year... getting ~40% in tests. So I was looking around the internet for some solutions and i came across this site www.mathematics.com.au. I looked at some demo lessons and they actually looked alright. So anyway I used it for around 20mins a night in the hols for about 2-3 weeks on the topics that were in the next test, and i got 72% in it which was tied top of the class! So if you're prepared to spend some money, its a good option and it doesn't require a lot of hard work (apart from constant use).
Trial lessons looked alright, only because the stuff was basic as hell though...

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
hey i'm in the same boat but my teacher advised me to stick to it cause i knowt he material really well i can do it all in class i just fuck up exams. Just sit down and think about what ya want to do. I need maths but might drop (again lols).

Just think about it really hard, if you put effort in you may be able to scrap 70's+

good luck

Barrister

HSC
Do not under any circumstances drop down to General Maths, stick out 2U, even if it means working hard anything is better than General. Besides 30% still shows some knowledge and this could be extended with more study.

Do at least 20mins of study every night of the week including Friday and weekends! This will help, I know this because I had a similar problem as an accelerated student.

Give it a go and good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)