What should i do with this degree? (1 Viewer)

cjwkang93

HSC
So today i received an offer for B.Commerce/Science(Adv Maths) for mid-year entry. I put this course into my preference without knowing what i am headed for since what i really wanted was B.Commerce/Engineering and B.Commerce/Science... I still don't understand how i got something which had a higher ATAR cut-off and lower on my preference list but yeah... cool anyways

I want to major in finance or actuarial but i don't know what a good combo would be with the majors in the Adv Maths side so if anyone could give me some advice on what a reasonable combo would be, i'd much appreciate it. :)

Also, what subjects should i take? i heard only some of semester 1 subjects can be taken in semester 2 and same for semester 2 subjects which can't be taken next year semester 1. I'm not going for GPA booster so i'm fine with anything.

Even though i am doing a combined degree am i allowed to double major in commerce subjects and not major a maths subject? or is it compulsory to major maths? e.g. can i do actuarial + finance? or do i have to do like finance + stats or actuarial + stats, etc - this would tied together with the question above on which combo would be the best.

-Chris.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
So today i received an offer for B.Commerce/Science(Adv Maths) for mid-year entry. I put this course into my preference without knowing what i am headed for since what i really wanted was B.Commerce/Engineering and B.Commerce/Science... I still don't understand how i got something which had a higher ATAR cut-off and lower on my preference list but yeah... cool anyways

I want to major in finance or actuarial but i don't know what a good combo would be with the majors in the Adv Maths side so if anyone could give me some advice on what a reasonable combo would be, i'd much appreciate it. :)

Also, what subjects should i take? i heard only some of semester 1 subjects can be taken in semester 2 and same for semester 2 subjects which can't be taken next year semester 1. I'm not going for GPA booster so i'm fine with anything.

Even though i am doing a combined degree am i allowed to double major in commerce subjects and not major a maths subject? or is it compulsory to major maths? e.g. can i do actuarial + finance? or do i have to do like finance + stats or actuarial + stats, etc - this would tied together with the question above on which combo would be the best.

-Chris.
Check your Handbook for what courses you have to do for your degree. Then try enrolling in some over myUNSW. If they're not offered in this semester, then they won't show up, so there's no problem. If the courses that are offered have prerequisites you may have to do next semester part-time and catch-up in sem 1 next year.
Majoring in Maths or Stats with Finance/Actuarial is a great choice. I wish I had a Math major. You will have to choose exactly which combo to take, but I doubt you'll have to choose for the first year, as the first year courses are probably compulsory. If so, then don't choose yet. Try out the first-year courses and then decide which areas you want to focus on. You probably also have a few free electives, so you can even use them on some of the initial courses for the majors in order to get a better idea of which major you want.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

-Chris.
You pick what major interests you in the maths side. In first and most of second year Adv Maths, you do certain compulsory courses - which dabbles in each of the three majors (and if your marks are super high, you can go into Quantitative Risk) - and then you pick your major afterward.

On what subjects you should take, go to the School of Mathematics website here: http://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/futurestudents/commerce-advanced-maths and look for sample course plans which tell you mostly what to do.

Also you are only permitted one major in Commerce and one major in Science - except in exceptional circumstances, so really... just plan for one. And if you want more than one, go to the ASB Student Centre and enquire.

If you're doing Advanced Maths, you must major in a branch of mathematics. You're not going to get a maths degree, without a major in maths.

Actuarial is a Commerce major so you can't do Actuarial/Finance unless you are permitted two Commerce majors. Finance + Stats and Actuarial/Stats is fine.

You choose what you like or are interested in. If not, I know a few people doing Actuarial/Stats, Actuarial/Applied, Finance/Stats, Finance/Pure...

HSC
N/A
as Shadowdude says, you don't need to worry about what sort of maths you want to do for a while.

Do you do MATH1131 and 1231 (over summer) as a mid year entry instead of MATH1151 and 1251? That is probably a bit of a disadvantage.

cjwkang93

HSC
quantitative risk and finance seems really nice. it says ther is a requirement of consistent distinction average at minimum to do it... so do i need to get distinction average in my advanced maths unit till end of 2nd year to do quantitative risk?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
I think you just ask them to let you do it. Just ask them now about the quant risk program and if they can let you do it, or the requirements you'll need before they let you do it.
just read this http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2012/3523.html very carefully and a few times.
Work out how you want to plan your program, it'll be a bit more difficult since you're coming in mid year.
If you're really too confused, I'd say go find and talk to John Steele.
As maths guru said, are you going to do 1131 and 1231 over the summer? I think this is the way to go, even though you miss out on some of the content taught in math1151/1251 (which really isn't a big deal) but it'll enable you to "catch up" to your year (for maths) so you can take 2nd year maths courses next year.

if you're looking to do finance/quant look here http://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/sites/default/files/financeplans_0.pdf
scroll down a bit and theres a plan for it.
its found here http://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/futurestudents/commerce-advanced-maths

If you're really too confused, I'd say go find and talk to John Steele. He's really helpful but make sure you do your research beforehand too.

cjwkang93

HSC
okay so i just realised that i am totally stuffed for maths coz it's totally out of order and whacked all over.......... DAM........... 1151 in sem 1 and 1251 in sem 2 but i can't do it coz i started the time and fgihrdiujgiduhgdighjpidjdpifgh mind blown tbh.... ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......what would happen if i dont do 1131 or 1231 but decide to do 1151 and 1251 and if i do 1131 or 1231 how much difference would it make to my degree or myself in comparison to other students? awwwwwww man i am sooooooooooo confused S:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You take 1151 if you're doing an Actuarial major for Commerce, iirc.

cjwkang93

HSC
btw i've done first semester of advanced maths at USyd
completed Linear Algebra (advanced) and Differential Calculus (advanced) however didn't get very good marks for these because i flunked my finals so badly... i got like credit average... but don't i need a WAM of 70 to secure myself in Adv Maths...

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Once you get in Adv. Maths at UNSW - you must keep a WAM above 70.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
isn't math1151 for actuarial and finance?
And yes. So if you're doing Actuarial as a Commerce major - do MATH1151/1251. Anything else, you take the standard MATH1141/1241. You should be taking courses at a Higher level if you're an Adv. Maths student.

cjwkang93

HSC
It says on the study plan thingo that Finance/QR goes with MATH1151,1251 and in 2nd year ACTL2001. IF i do QR over stats then I'm probably going to have to follow that plan to at least keep up with what everyone else knows, right?
And yes, if i do Finance/Stats then i can do MATH1141/1241. Also, am i allowed to do 1141 and 1241 in 1 go? Or does the requirement of 1241 that i MUST do 1141 still hold?
Also the maths i did in USYD lacks a bit of stuff compared to UNSW.. like i haven't done the integration, polar coordinates(if it's just complex numbers then i've done it) and Maple symbolic algebra package.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
1. You don't keep up with what people know - you just do the subjects and prerequisites. You go through uni at your own pace. So... I don't know what you mean by that.

2. MATH1141 is only offered in Semester 1. MATH1241, only in Semester 2. Also, if you don't do well in MATH1141 - you can be barred from doing MATH1241. And if you don't do well in MATH1241 - then you can be barred from taking Higher courses.

3. You'll do integration in MATH1241, along with polar coordinates. Maple you learn in 1141 - but it's easy. It's just a mathematical tool - like... Wolfram Alpha. Use it to check your answers.

HSC
Uni Grad
And yes. So if you're doing Actuarial as a Commerce major - do MATH1151/1251. Anything else, you take the standard MATH1141/1241. You should be taking courses at a Higher level if you're an Adv. Maths student.
You can even do ACTL1001 with MATH1131 and MATH1231 up, but as long as you have learned the probability and statistics component, which is a requirement for ACTL1001.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Probability and Stats you learn in MATH1241. But it's... a throwaway topic.

Seriously, it's a joke - that stuff - compared to what you actually do when you get into a proper stats course - MATH2901.

I speak for mostly everyone who does MATH2901 this sem, including myself, when I say: "oh god we're so screwed :( :( :( :( "

But that said, maybe the background might be good? I dunno.

HSC
Uni Grad
Probability and Stats you learn in MATH1241. But it's... a throwaway topic.

Seriously, it's a joke - that stuff - compared to what you actually do when you get into a proper stats course - MATH2901.

I speak for mostly everyone who does MATH2901 this sem, including myself, when I say: "oh god we're so screwed :( :( :( :( "

But that said, maybe the background might be good? I dunno.
yeah, heard so many people were saying that, complaining about how screwed they are, especially the actuarial people.

But still, I reckon doing MATH2901 and MATH2931 would be better than doing ACTL2002; it's much much worse than those maths courses out.

Kingportable

HSC
as Shadowdude says, you don't need to worry about what sort of maths you want to do for a while.

Do you do MATH1131 and 1231 (over summer) as a mid year entry instead of MATH1151 and 1251? That is probably a bit of a disadvantage.
Yes thats true, apparently as long as the course your taking has similar subjects as the degree your interested in as long as you keep your GPA well enough you can transfer into any of them internally without having to start all over again (since yo've been taking the same classes).

cjwkang93

HSC
So what would you guys say about my subject selection of:
2012 Semester 2:
ECON1101
FINS1612
MATH1081
ACCT1501
2013 Semester 1:
SCIF1121(not like i have a choice)
MATH1141
FINS1613
MGMT1001 OR COMP1911
2013 Semester 2:
MATH1241
...what goes here?
..."
..."
what now?

cjwkang93

HSC
so you're saying i should go down to Comm/Sci and do 1131 and 1231 and get high GPA and get back into Comm/Sci(adv maths)? OR are you talking specifically about my WAM for the specific maths subject? e.g. if i'm doing MATH1131 and 1231 instead of 1141 and 1241 then i should be getting WAM of 80 instead of 70?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)