What Should I Do!!!???? (1 Viewer)

jawjayo

vast and green
HSC
Ok so I don't have a job. I'm 17, at uni and have no work experience. I need a job. I don't have one. And i have been trying for six months and I am getting very tired. what should i do??? What have other people in my situation done?
I have applied to
*woolworths and associated companies - they don't reply
*coles myer, target, kmart etc. - replied, passed group interview, said they would call me when they needed someone with my availability... they don't need anyone with my availability (which is 3.5 days)
*subway in various locations - no
*local deli - need people under 17
*borders - not enough experience
*australian geographic - no
*various bookshops - no
*hungry jacks - no
*games shop - no
*shoe shops - no
*homeart - no
*jamaica blue - no
*JB Hi-Fi - no reply
and the list goes on and on....

ok, so what have i forgotten to do? have i passed the sweet age of 16 that allows you to get a job and am now doomed to wait til i turn 18 and hopefully the RSA will help? What have other people done? Keep persisting and persisting til i drop over in the street?

Lennie

jawjayo said:
Ok so I don't have a job. I'm 17, at uni and have no work experience. I need a job. I don't have one. And i have been trying for six months and I am getting very tired. what should i do??? What have other people in my situation done?
I have applied to
*coles myer, target, kmart etc. - replied, passed group interview, said they would call me when they needed someone with my availability... they don't need anyone with my availability (which is 3.5 days)
*various bookshops - no
*hungry jacks - no
*games shop - no
*shoe shops - no
*homeart - no
*jamaica blue - no
*JB Hi-Fi - no reply

ok, so what have i forgotten to do? have i passed the sweet age of 16 that allows you to get a job and am now doomed to wait til i turn 18 and hopefully the RSA will help? What have other people done? Keep persisting and persisting til i drop over in the street?

The RSA will help. Are you actually interviewed for the above jobs? Because the problem may lie in your interview skills or your resume.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
jawjayo said:
I have applied to
*various bookshops - no
*hungry jacks - no
*games shop - no
*shoe shops - no
*homeart - no
*jamaica blue - no
*JB Hi-Fi - no reply

I'm surprised some of those places said no.

How about asking your friends if they know of any job opening at their workplace?

You could try applying for call centre work.

Or alternatively, wait till around Octobober (i think it's that month) when most chain stores advertise for christmas casuals

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yeah if you are desperate for moolah try a call centre... at least then you will have some form of work experience. You could get a job at a call centre, and then find another job while working there. My dad says it is always easier to find a job if you are already employed.

Also, how do you feel your interview skills are? And your resume? Do you ham it up? Smile lots, be uber friendly.... don't tell them about your other failed interviews..... talk about how enthusiatic you are, what a fast learner, what you study at uni blah blah blah.

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
try kfc or maccas, i know you might hate the idea but they're always hiring and it's a good place to start!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Maccas give good training as well. Many employers respect people who have done some time at Maccas.

jawjayo

vast and green
HSC
No i havnt been to interviews for most of them. Most of them didn't even reply even though they had signs up looking for people. Thanks for your advice, I'll keep trying.

hello99999

HSC
you could do some volunteer work so you have something extra on your resumé?

what about tutoring or even babysitting just for some work experience?

jellybeenz

HSC
Hey, you could try where I work... I just got a job and I think they still need people..

Its the Wellbeing company- fast healthy food place-- just find one around the place and go in and ask about finding a job... they'll tell you where you have to go and what you have to do...

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
what type of ppl are they looking for at wellbeing?...in terms of availability

jawjayo

vast and green
HSC
i live in epping.
hmm.. i'll check out wellbeing. although the only ones i know of are QVB and other city places... i wonder if they have one at macquarie. i'll check it out. sounds like an idea.

jellybeenz

HSC
choco said:
what type of ppl are they looking for at wellbeing?...in terms of availability
Mostly Uni students with daytime availability for lunchtime rush- i.e. shifts from 12-3 or 11-4 are quite common... Oh and mostly availability during the weekdays, not weekends...

jellybeenz

HSC
Kick Juice at Broadway is looking for people, they called me for an interview today but I already have a job-- maybe you can try there?

klh

HSC
i dunno if it helps but im doing work experience myself at an electronics retail store, just go up to the manager or ring them and ask if they are interested to have you for a couple of days as a volunteer. ofcourse i am in the same position as you but 19, but i get out of it expereince and a reference which is cool. i got this through my mums friend who is friendly with the boss but ask around dude, tell everyone you are looking for work and sometimes they can direct you to someone.
also a tip is to not owrk for someone you know persoanlly, sometimes it doesnt work out very well.

Nashie

Ace up my sleeve
HSC
Ask at every shop on your local shopping centre, I mean every shop, there a highish chance they will at least remember you, and in retail, most places think no experience is necessary, but... you have to ask to get their respect and show your serious! And dress nice to show that you are professional, so.. no hangover!!

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
meh, im excatly like you ..no exp. blah blah!

it sucks aye, to find that your effort to find a job sucks.

jawjayo

vast and green
HSC
I just saw the ad. in www.seek.com.au for wellbeing so application has gone in.... just wait for a fone call *fingers crossed without expectation*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)