• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What should you get in 2U to be able to do 3U? (1 Viewer)

lala2

Banned
HSC
Hi,

I've just gotten my Year 11 results back and they seriously suck for every subject but especially English...anyway, what minimum results for Year 11 2U are recommended in order to do Year 12 3U? I haven't gotten my 3u results back yet but I'm seriously dreading them--it's so bad for 2u already that I'm seriously sure that my 3u result will be at the 50% pass or fail level (I'm usually a high eighties person).

Help!!!!

taxman

make poverty
HSC
This is my opinion, so feel free to ignore it as it usually sucks.

I haven't done my 3U exam for Yr 11 back yet, but I can't see it being very good. I don't think it should really matter, as long as you're gonna try a bit harder next year, then it doesn't matter what you get. I like to think of both courses as seperate so as to not conflict myself.

I'm good at 2U...I don't give a shit about 3U....so what...I don't give a shit about maths...

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
ummm... no one cares how hard u try, they care if u get results realistically. Your benchmark to do well in maths should be 115/150 for both 2 and 3 unit courses. Mathematics is about hard work and what people usually forget.... ability.

kattie

Are you guys talking about english or maths? cos if you are talking about english i might be able to help.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
This is in the English forum, so I assume it is about English. In my trial HSC i got 72% on my English (Advanced) paper, and 78% on my English (Extension 1) paper. My English (Extension 2) assessment mark sits at around 43/50 from memory.

I can't really see any discernable pattern either way. In the end, I say just pick it anyway -- if you don't like it, you can always drop it.

kattie

In year eleven extension english my end of years were pretty shocking. I only just passed, that was around the 60 percent mark. Throughout the year my marks were better but i mean i made it through the class with little to no study. Even with the shocker though i kept on with ext 1 and did ext 2 as well. My mark lifted now i am in the high eighty to nineties so i mean you can do anything throughout the year. Don't necessarily go off your yr eleven mark cause lots of stuff can happen.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
honestly, 2u doesn't reflect at all on how you do in extension courses. my final marks+ ranking for 2u were 81% and 64/157. for 3u i ranked 4th with 48/50 and 4u i ranked 1st with 50/50. they're totally different courses and you may find you cream the 3u course and only do averagely in 2u.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Thanks everybody! :)

Maybe I'll just hang in there...also another thing, is it just concidence or what because I find a lot of people who top 3U (or are close to it) are "naturally talented". I'm just a normal person and I'm kinda concerned about that cos honestly my strength lies in maths, not english and I'm just doing it cos everyone says it's an advantage to (scaling-wise). :s

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
glycerine said:
honestly, 2u doesn't reflect at all on how you do in extension courses. my final marks+ ranking for 2u were 81% and 64/157. for 3u i ranked 4th with 48/50 and 4u i ranked 1st with 50/50. they're totally different courses and you may find you cream the 3u course and only do averagely in 2u.

yeah my ext mark is wayy better then adv.

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
lala2 said:
Thanks everybody! :)

Maybe I'll just hang in there...also another thing, is it just concidence or what because I find a lot of people who top 3U (or are close to it) are "naturally talented". I'm just a normal person and I'm kinda concerned about that cos honestly my strength lies in maths, not english and I'm just doing it cos everyone says it's an advantage to (scaling-wise). :s

if the only reason you are doing it is for scaling ... DROP NOW!'
you need other resons such as you like it or whatever
just practice reading and writing and reading and you should notice a marked improvement .. gd luck with everything! :)

lala2

Banned
HSC
I dunno...you see, I find the ext course much more interesting than adv. but I'm not prepared to put in the work :s so I dunno, I think I "have the potential" to like it but it's already end of year 11 and nothing's good so far...what about you guys? did any of you not really like ext/didn't do well in it/wasn't prepared to put in the work in year 11 but then managed to pick up heaps in year 12?

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
I got my results back for english and they sucked birdy as well, luckily they didn't affect my ranks drastically - as I performed consistently throughout the yr

Kazuya

keio 最高
HSC
After the suckiness of our grade, they've now made it so that students in following grades who want to do Year 12 3U English have to be ranked in the top third of the year. Before it was just advised but now they've made it a definite prerequisite.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
Kazuya said:
After the suckiness of our grade, they've now made it so that students in following grades who want to do Year 12 3U English have to be ranked in the top third of the year. Before it was just advised but now they've made it a definite prerequisite.
oh my gosh, thats so wrong!!! our school doesnt do anything like that, they dont even advise ppl who do badly in 2U not to do 3U, just 4U. then again, we only have bout...oh, 80-90ish ppl doing it, and they're probably all the better english students anyway i guess.

lala2

Banned
HSC
What can I do to pick up my English marks (both 2U and 3U but especially 3U...)? Please don't ask me to memorise essays because I'm not that kind of person...like how can I integrate my texts, make sure that, in case of hard marking, I get a decent mark, how to structure essays, etc, etc. All help would be appreciated heaps. Thanks!

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
im glad u said 'please dont ask me to memorise essays': this is definately not a good way to go! one of the first things ot do when you get into the exam is look at the directive in the question and the rubric - this tells you what they are going to be marking you on, so make sure you address it in ur essay. ok, integrating texts...ummm...there are basically 2 main ways - either you link them through paradigms or through techniques. for example, you might say that X, Y and Z texts all address the philosophical paradigm of A, then go on to show how they do it then talk about how W, Y and Z all talk about a different paradigm.

remember, nothing is better than knowing your material inside and out. to study, you could try writing out all the major points you want to use, working out how/where they link together andf then learn that. not an essay, but something that will give you the basis for one.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
My 2 unit teacher tells me to memorise her pre-made essays which she hands out, and not to do anything else. "That way we are assured a low B", which she thinks is the level of ability of my class. I don't like her way of teaching at all - as I, too, don't just memorise crap. Dunno about her as a person - I'd prefer not to get to know her.

I ignore her advice completely. She says that because I'm not doing well in Advanced (70% average) that I shouldn't do Ext (where my average is around 90%). Screw that.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Slide Rule said:
My 2 unit teacher tells me to memorise her pre-made essays which she hands out, and not to do anything else. "That way we are assured a low B", which she thinks is the level of ability of my class. I don't like her way of teaching at all - as I, too, don't just memorise crap. Dunno about her as a person - I'd prefer not to get to know her.

I ignore her advice completely. She says that because I'm not doing well in Advanced (70% average) that I shouldn't do Ext (where my average is around 90%). Screw that.
so does that mean if you memorise my essays you're guaranteed at 45 in your hsc :p

Anyway, i think to do the extension subjects you need to be able to apply yourself with some curiousity and drive, and this shouldnt be judged by your 2u mark, it isnt in maths so why is it judged in english.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)