• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What should you get in 2U to be able to do 3U? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Maths is structured completely differently, giving the advantage to students who do at least one unit above - eg 3U students doing the 2U paper.

English is a completely different kettle of fish. I suck majorly at the Eng AOS parts - (we're looking at 9/20 for essays), do so-so on the Eng Adv paper, cream the eng ext 1 (100% for essay in HSC Trials, yay) and do pretty well in EE2 as well.

I have to admit though, way until about mid way through this year I HATED EE1. I completely didn't get it at all. But it's now the only subject I study where I actually know my work. I've never memorised an essay in my life - if you have to memorise an essay, you don't actually know your work, is what I say - and don't recommend it to anyone. To do well in any english course, you really need to know what you're talking about - waffling doesn't get you anywhere, nor does parroting completely irrelevant essay topics or paragraphs. You DO have to answer the question, remember? No point in writing a beautiful essay if it doesn't answer the question!

As for Yr 11 students freaking out, YOUR ESSAY WRITING WILL IMPROVE! I know it sounds really lame - that's what I thought in Yr 11 and beginning of Yr 12 - but believe me, after writing SO MANY practice essays etc etc etc, your essay technique will improve and by the end of the year, hopefully you won't even have to think about integration and linking texts - it will just come. :)

Best wishes!

lala2

Banned
HSC
*mwah* *gives a hug* Thanx sooooooo much glitterfairy...ahhhh, now I can kinda go a bit smoother with ext english...are there any other ways of improving besides practice essays?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Read alot. Read everything. Academic essays, various publications, novels (if you have time)...just anything. Reading is very good as you increase vocab and your knowledge of sentence and paragraph structure.

cleopatra

Cleopatra
"Dear God; make me a bird, so i can fly far, far a
HSC
in yr 10 i was ranked like 25 or sumthin 4 eng and they advised me not 2 do ee1. but im not v good at listening to advice. so i did it, cos i wanted to sooooo bad. and i love it. sure the work and exams are shit AS! but i love the content.
Then i did ee2.
if u r worried about ur yr 11 marks, dont. its easy to fix em by the end of yr 12 if you WANT to. I started yr 11 adv at 38 after 1st assesment, then my final hsc rank was 15 cos i tried. and 4 legal studies i was 23rd at the end of yr 11, but my final HSC rank was 2.
i say do it. follow ur passions and u r bound to do well. but if you wanna do it 4 prestiege or any of that shit then u wont be motivated to try and may go shit.

Sophie777

lala2 said:
Hi,

I've just gotten my Year 11 results back and they seriously suck for every subject but especially English...anyway, what minimum results for Year 11 2U are recommended in order to do Year 12 3U? I haven't gotten my 3u results back yet but I'm seriously dreading them--it's so bad for 2u already that I'm seriously sure that my 3u result will be at the 50% pass or fail level (I'm usually a high eighties person).

Help!!!!
if you fail then drop it.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Well...yes, my english results....I didn't technically fail but to me it's like a fail anyway... my teacher said all I had to do is practice essays...is she right? Cos I thought there may be more work involved than that?

HSC
N/A
Practice essays can actually help - a lot. I remember handing in a practice essay once - and when I got it back - there was a "I think you'd better come see me, because this essay is very confused and you are not going to get anything higher than a 6 for this" (out of 20). I then went on to get 100% for Part B of my HSC EE1 Trials (and I got 95% for Part A)

So I did a couple more practice essays. You have to remember that an essay is just something in which you have to a) answer a question and b) tell them everything you know about the text/s in a structured form. Everytime you do it, it gets better, because you can use the last one as a "this wasn't so good, let's make it better".

The more you KNOW a text, the more you can write about it without worrying about failing. And the more you write practice essays, the more you condense and realise "hey, I need more actual content!". So, you'll run off, do some more research, and add that in. Perhaps later in the year you'll find out some new good stuff to put into the essay, or the teacher might talk about one of your "essay topics/issues" in class, and that gives you more stuff to shove into your essay.

By the end of the year, what was once a long bit of waffle and little content WILL become a highly-compact, sophisticated response that is so compact, you could barely fit a toothpick in there (at least, that's what I hope my EE2 Reflection Statement looks like, but that's just EE2 :D ). But to get to that point, you need to practice getting your ideas on paper. It took me a long, long time to get past my safety net of waffling. It's comforting to do and takes up space, but takes forever to get to a point and makes you feel like you've done a lot of stuff when you haven't.

Practice makes perfect! :)

PS: And when you feel like you've about to die because you have an assessment in a week and you get a 9/20 for a practice essay, post it here on BOS or pm it to me, and we will help you through it as best we can. :D

Last edited:

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
If you want to do it, then nothing beats your motivation. This girl who is at the top of my english extension class was advised to do standard english. Well. WHat does that teach you???

lala2

Banned
HSC
Love ya all! You've motivated me to try (strong emphasis on word motivated), so I will. And yes, I'll do a lot of practice essays too!

Thanks, and yes I'll come to you guys if I suck majorly at an essay or something...if you guys are doing your HSC this year, then good luck to all, haha, I got another year, nananana....*dances off into distance*

Riff

HSC
N/A
ext is easier than adv. i recon. i suck in adv. but kick ass at ext. i had a shitarse teacher for regular english but so that might have summin to do with it. but yeah... whatever

tabularasa

HSC
i did better in extenstioin than in advanced it just depends on the text you get. i ofund the extension text to be better than the ones i did for advanced.

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
Extension is sooooo much easier than advanced. I get high eighties for advanced, high nineties for extension. The only thing is, be warned...I found that as soon as I started doing extension my makrs for advanced went from mid nineties to eighties. I think extension gives you a whole new perspective on looking at english and once you explore that it's hard to fit back into the advanced mould. They're such different subjects, it's not like a continuation of advanced.

matty_boi17

HSC
N/A
I had Extension 2-itis and had a bit of trouble when it came to basic Advanced things like reflecting what the symbolism was, or why the author used a metaphor here or there. I used to ALWAYS look past the obvious and look for something more that *was* there, but wasn't necessary to comment on. Instead of looking at the trees, I looked at the bark. The same for Maths when I came down from 2U to do General, I always thought there was another step required or something because it seemed too simplistic.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
i thought extension was easy than advanced. it seemes easier and way more fun. i got my marks back for year 11 and my rankings etc. i came 1st in advanced out of 100 or soo people. we have 15 doing extension and i came 10. maybe adv. is easier for me!!

HSC
N/A
matty_boi17 said:
I had Extension 2-itis and had a bit of trouble when it came to basic Advanced things like reflecting what the symbolism was, or why the author used a metaphor here or there. I used to ALWAYS look past the obvious and look for something more that *was* there, but wasn't necessary to comment on. Instead of looking at the trees, I looked at the bark. The same for Maths when I came down from 2U to do General, I always thought there was another step required or something because it seemed too simplistic.
SAME! SAME! SAME!

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about!

Aeolior

HSC
Wooow.. same for me :p

Anywayz, you seem to be really informative and quite good in the english subject overall Glitterfairy.. after reading the posts, you also motivated me to do well in english..

Cos, I did well in Extension, but when I was back in English advanced, I kept doing bad in those essays and stuff ><

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)