what stimulus text to use for imaginative? (1 Viewer)

No Problems

HSC
goosiegoo said:
Most people i know who are doing 'the town where time stands still' are focusing on the fact that it's about the search for the genii loci (sp?) which is a sort of.. utopia. And the fact that the imaginative journey is about the only place where you could possibly find utopia..
yeah - and in kubla, the search is for the recreation of perfection; but then you have to contrast or formulate whether 'utopia' (perfection) can ever be attained and how this is demonstrated.
i want to use rime of the ancient mariner as my other text (with kubla), but im still struggling to work out a strong link...
i pretty much wanna use town where time stands still, journey to the interior or journeys over land and sea as my BOS material; any suggestions?

ps. i think that by far the easiest poem to construct a hypothesis around is lime tree bower, because its so straight forward.

Sam.

bored.
HSC
Try not to use two mystical/mythical STC poems (Kubla and Ancient Mariner) or two conversational poems (Lime Tree and Frost) in one essay. The essays tend to become either too bogged down in metaphysical and spiritual discussions or too bogged down in philosophical musings. To work comparatively, most people suggest to use one of each.

No Problems

HSC
Ok, so I've modified my choice of poems. I'm going with Lime Tree Bower and Ancient Mariner. my question revolves around the learning curve associated with journeys - regardless of their difficulty, so i'n hoping that this will be a good choice. I was initially hoping to write something profound/ something that would stand out from the usual Excel driven drivel but I've just run out of time and patience with these stupid undefined English questions. Any ideas what BOS material will suit these best? i just struggle to find a link between the poems and the BOS material.

pruie

HSC
goosiegoo said:
Most people i know who are doing 'the town where time stands still' are focusing on the fact that it's about the search for the genii loci (sp?) which is a sort of.. utopia. And the fact that the imaginative journey is about the only place where you could possibly find utopia..
You can also look at it this way: the "pioneer" or the person undertaking the search for the genii loci is not your average journeyer. Typically, someone would take a journey for the point of making the end point a better place (eg, I've found a new place, it is now better because of my arrival/presence).
Here - in the search for the genii loci - the journeyer is going on the journey to bring something back to the original location (eg, I went to this place, and because of it, I'm a better person. I will now take this experience back to my original starting point and make it better too).

kingsizecrunchi

HSC
if anyones usin raod not taken..do u think u c0od share some of ur information wif me please!!!! :D...thanx

IMTB

HSC
Is Blood on the Tracks in any way imaginative at all? :S

xinxin89

HSC
is "the town where time stands still" suitable for imaginative?

ps: should we have written our imaginative essays by this stage?

amiey

HSC
are we meant to have written them yet? i hope not
i've only got two sup. material Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and The Reckless Sleeper (artwork) and still need one more, a novel most likely as our teacher had forbidden us from using songs or poems, anyone got any ideas, it for imaginative journey's and i need to relate it to colridge's kubla khan or lime tree...
thanks

Last edited:

MattBungard

HSC
kingsizecrunchi said:
if anyones usin raod not taken..do u think u c0od share some of ur information wif me please!!!! :D...thanx
These are mine...dunno how good they are. They worked well for me though. :D

Road Not Taken:

Context:
  • The poem was composed by Robert frost in the middle of his life (40s), and this is possibly reflected in the poem.
The “yellow wood” may represent autumn, just as Frost was in the figurative autumn of his life.

• The context is also the circumstances surrounding the responder. Many of the people attracted to Frost’s poems were of similar background to him; and could most likely relate to the idea of looking back on life’s defining moments.
  • The texts theme is not universal, as not all people will have gone through the types of life changing experiences that Frost implies in the poem.
Techniques:

• The vocabulary used in the poem is simple, comprised of words used in everyday conversation. The use of negatives throughout creates a regretful atmosphere (e.g. ‘not taken’, ‘sorry’, ‘doubted’, ‘sigh’, ‘less traveled’)
  • Words are arranged in four verses of five lines each, presenting a strict, underlying structure in comparison to the flowing, seemingly arbitrary content.
  • The verses each represent a different facet of the persona’s situation
  • Each stanza follows the rhyming pattern ABAAB. This is of particular significance in the first and third stanzas, where the rhyming sound reflects the mood of the stanza. (The long -oo- sound in the first mirrors the persona’s thoughtfulness and uncertainty and the short -ay in the third the persona’s decisiveness.)
  • The repetition of the first line, (Two roads diverged…), emphasise the importance of the decision
  • Most of the poem is written in past tense, indicating that the persona is reflecting back upon his choice and where it has led him in life. The except is the first two lines of the last stanza, (I shall be telling…), in future tense, which serve to indicate the importance the persona continues to place on the decision: that he will still be dwelling on it ‘ages and ages hence’.
  • The poem is written in first person, making it seem more personal and conversational
Quotes:

"And sorry I could not travel both"

"Yet knowing how way leads on to way, I doubted if I should ever come back."

"I shall be telling this with a sigh, Somewhere ages and ages hence"

"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood"

"And both that morning equally lay, in leaves no step had trodden black"

Issues Relating To The Journey:
  • Frost is faced with an ultimatum, he must choose one or the other and he notes that he may never return to try the second option
  • He displays elements of contemplation, both before and after his choice, as well as hinting regret afterwards
  • Acknowledges that in life sometimes only it is indeed one or the other

Mel_b

HSC
For all of you considering which stimulus booklet text to use, remember that this is the 4th year of journeys and, unfair as it is to you, you really need to start pushing the boundaries with original analysis and texts.

Can I suggest, for anyone doing imaginative - Journeys Over Land And Sea - it's one of the least common texts, it's unique in a genuine (not token) combination of text and images, it's a website, which is different, and it allows you to take a unique and interesting perspective on the imaginative journey - it's very much a gateway to discuss the role of the imagination in science, ideas about fear and the unknown, and also the inspirational and speculative elements of the journey that allow for a discussion of the relationship between fantasy and reality (BIG plus for those studying the Tempest)

menelaus

HSC
an imaginative text is one that takes elemnts from real life (inspiration) and either speculates or takes place away fromt he ordinary. most ppl i know used journey to the interior. a few used wind in the willows and some used road not taken (speulative?)

HSC
WIND IN THE WILLOWS - all the way
such an awesome book, but pity the part wasn't from one of the best bits (THE RIVER BANK is the best, as is the battle in the end)

The techniques used are inventive and clever (giving animals human characteristics - "reverse" anthropomorphism)

My afvourite, although I predominantly used IVORY TRAIL, becuase it was easier to get info from a first glance.

still, i will prepare both WILLOWS and IVORY TRAIL for my HSC - how i hate those letters - they're killing me!

Stay calm, good luck for the Semester One Exam's and DON'T PANIC!

Cheers,
Glenn.Saunders (formerly MKZaa)

Sam.

bored.
HSC
I found Journey to the Interior to be by far the easiest. You can integrate almost any line into an Imaginative Journeys essay, and the analysis of the poem encourages a far greater level of sophistication than most other texts.

Just be careful that you don't get too bogged down in poetic techniques if you are also doing Coleridge.

steffiduck

HSC
Just some thoughts...

Sam. said:
Try not to use two mystical/mythical STC poems (Kubla and Ancient Mariner) or two conversational poems (Lime Tree and Frost) in one essay.
Our english teacher, who marks Area of Study essays told us that we should stick to LTBMP and Frost because Kubla and the Mariner are rarely done well.

Knowing my teacher, he wouldn't give us this advice unless he has seen some really shoddily done analysis of these texts both at school and when marking HSC essay...(if anyone knows quilly, they know what I mean)

Sam. said:
To work comparatively, most people suggest to use one of each.
He also told us that this is not a comparative study, and all we are trying to show is an understanding of the concept of journeys, and that the comparison should be left to Module A (in our case BNW and BR)

just my two cents...you don't have to pay me any attention...my teacher is often mistaken as being a deluded arrogant ass...

Vicly

HSC Victim
HSC
Mel_b said:
For all of you considering which stimulus booklet text to use, remember that this is the 4th year of journeys and, unfair as it is to you, you really need to start pushing the boundaries with original analysis and texts.

Can I suggest, for anyone doing imaginative - Journeys Over Land And Sea - it's one of the least common texts, it's unique in a genuine (not token) combination of text and images, it's a website, which is different, and it allows you to take a unique and interesting perspective on the imaginative journey - it's very much a gateway to discuss the role of the imagination in science, ideas about fear and the unknown, and also the inspirational and speculative elements of the journey that allow for a discussion of the relationship between fantasy and reality (BIG plus for those studying the Tempest)
What Coleridge poems did you relate Journeys Over Land and Sea to? I'm sort of in a conflict between originality (in terms of text to choose from stimulus booklet) and the ability to write (or bs) a lot about it.

Also to Glenn.Saunders: What Coleridge poem's are you using to relate to those stimulus texts?

annie fuller

HSC
i am using the violin man by colin thompson. i think the ivory trail was used as a question in the hsc this year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)