What subject should I drop? (1 Viewer)

lonepker

HSC
The subjects I do are: 2 unit Mathematics, Advanced English, Chemistry, Biology, Economics and Business.

I want to take up Civil Eng in UNSW. I am thinking to drop Chemistry as I don't enjoy it and its really really boring. Is Chem required for Civil Eng? or is physics the prerequisite? I am also going to do a bridging course of Ext 1 maths in Uni.
So should I drop Chem?

K

katie_tully

Are you dropping chem coz you suck at it, or coz you hate it?
I can see two other subjects that are less relevent to Engineering than Chemistry, most noteably Bio and Business.

HSC
if you don't really like chem it won't hurt you much to drop it. the sort of chem you would go through (if any) would be in mining and chemical and i think you're safe in that respect. even if there is chances are you've covered it already anyway in year 11.

physics and 3 unit maths are more assumed knowledge than prerequisites (in any engo course). you *don't have* to do them but if you don't you might find it a bit harder to understand some concepts than others around you.

definitely do a bridging course for maths.

hkgirl

HSC
i think you should keep chemistry. just cause civil you may encounter the materials required for the structure.
i did engineering studies in highschool and materials were part of my civil structure cord topic. that's why i recommend you to keep it.

i would drop biology or business since they are the least related.
but probably drop bio just incase you may not end wanting to do engineering in uni so you can have a backup path other than just the sciene fields.

plus, many engineers become managers in big companies due to their logical, and problem solving brains ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)