what subject should i drop? (1 Viewer)

lit24

HSC
which scales worse? business or pdhpe?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I think that generally, PDHPE would scale worse than Business Studies, mainly because a lot of students that do PDHPE are not as academically capable as those who take Business Studies.

In terms of what you should drop, you should be prioritising your performance over which subject has the better scaling. Are you better at Business Studies or PDHPE? It is important to remember that you can perform well in a subject even if it doesn't scale well.

I would advise you to drop PDHPE though. I feel like the concepts and tasks/exams in business are clearer/easier to understand and complete than those of PDHPE (I didn't do PDHPE, so that's just an assumption).

Leadmen4y

HSC
If you are doing equally good in both, then it's completely up to you as I think they're really really close in comparison (when I subbed in marks in ATAR calcs). But if you're not, which most likely is the case, then you should consider obviously which one you're doing better in and which one you enjoy/have the motivation to study. I don't do business but PDHPE is very very content heavy as you would know in prelim, but the concepts are pretty easy with a few exceptions (Ottawa Charter in core 1 for me personally).

If you are good at memorising facts and have decent exam skills you will do good, but if rote learning isn't your thing then probably consider dropping PDHPE.

In the end of the day, if you get pass the 95 mark for virtually any subject, scaling hardly matters (it's what all the ATAR calcs tell me). There are people who got .95s doing both business and PE, which says enough imo.

lit24

HSC
I think that generally, PDHPE would scale worse than Business Studies, mainly because a lot of students that do PDHPE are not as academically capable as those who take Business Studies.

In terms of what you should drop, you should be prioritising your performance over which subject has the better scaling. Are you better at Business Studies or PDHPE? It is important to remember that you can perform well in a subject even if it doesn't scale well.

I would advise you to drop PDHPE though. I feel like the concepts and tasks/exams in business are clearer/easier to understand and complete than those of PDHPE (I didn't do PDHPE, so that's just an assumption).
If you are doing equally good in both, then it's completely up to you as I think they're really really close in comparison (when I subbed in marks in ATAR calcs). But if you're not, which most likely is the case, then you should consider obviously which one you're doing better in and which one you enjoy/have the motivation to study. I don't do business but PDHPE is very very content heavy as you would know in prelim, but the concepts are pretty easy with a few exceptions (Ottawa Charter in core 1 for me personally).

If you are good at memorising facts and have decent exam skills you will do good, but if rote learning isn't your thing then probably consider dropping PDHPE.

In the end of the day, if you get pass the 95 mark for virtually any subject, scaling hardly matters (it's what all the ATAR calcs tell me). There are people who got .95s doing both business and PE, which says enough imo.
I have more motivated teachers for PDHPE and I can score well with minimal effort as it is mainly rote learning. On the other hand, business studies requires more on the spot thinking and implementing with case studies and things in comparison to PDHPE. My business teachers are not the best and it is all self study. I do well in both so I am thinking of dropping business but im not sure as I am performing well in both.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I have more motivated teachers for PDHPE and I can score well with minimal effort as it is mainly rote learning. On the other hand, business studies requires more on the spot thinking and implementing with case studies and things in comparison to PDHPE. My business teachers are not the best and it is all self study. I do well in both so I am thinking of dropping business but im not sure as I am performing well in both.
In that case, you should probably go with PDHPE as you can achieve good results with minimal effort and are enjoying the subject, not to mention superior teaching quality for PDHPE compared to Business Studies. Keeping PDHPE will not only allow you to perform well in this subject, but may also result in some additional study time which you can spend on more demanding subjects after you drop Business Studies.

Leadmen4y

HSC
In that case, you should probably go with PDHPE as you can achieve good results with minimal effort and are enjoying the subject, not to mention superior teaching quality for PDHPE compared to Business Studies. Keeping PDHPE will not only allow you to perform well in this subject, but may also result in some additional study time which you can spend on more demanding subjects after you drop Business Studies.
Absolutely. Having the extra time in study periods on top of not having to worry about a subject was (and still is) TREMENDOUS for me, having a subject to drop ASAP in year 12 has helped me so much, can't recommend it enough.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Absolutely. Having the extra time in study periods on top of not having to worry about a subject was (and still is) TREMENDOUS for me, having a subject to drop ASAP in year 12 has helped me so much, can't recommend it enough.
That's great to hear! :D

I had mixed feelings when I dropped 3U maths near the end of year 11. I was definitely happy to know that I wouldn't have to deal with harder maths beyond that point, but I was also quite upset because at the time I was "ambitious" (more like oblivious) and I wanted to do 4U.

Leadmen4y

HSC
That's great to hear! :D

I had mixed feelings when I dropped 3U maths near the end of year 11. I was definitely happy to know that I wouldn't have to deal with harder maths beyond that point, but I was also quite upset because at the time I was "ambitious" (more like oblivious) and I wanted to do 4U.
4U scales to the moon though, if you do well. I don't know if I regret not even picking up MX1 in year 11 given I was decently good at maths (was in highest maths class in yr9 and dropped to 2nd highest in yr10 because I cbb at the time), no point looking back though, 4 months to go now!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
4U scales to the moon though, if you do well. I don't know if I regret not even picking up MX1 in year 11 given I was decently good at maths (was in highest maths class in yr9 and dropped to 2nd highest in yr10 because I cbb at the time), no point looking back though, 4 months to go now!
100%

My 3U journey started decently (I think I got 76% for my first 3U exam) but it went downhill after that (I remember barely passing my yearly exam lol). After the yearly exam, we started parametrics, which is where I really knew 3U was not for me. I thought about what I was doing and that I should drop asap not only because I was not good enough, but also because there wasn't a point in doing anything higher than 2U for business at uni.

lit24

HSC
which subject did u drop?

Directrix

Forklift Certified
HSC
Dropped chemistry myself, as I relied on a teacher that didn't suit my learning style plus I didn't go tutor like everyone else in my cohort. I ranked 25/70ish which wasn't outrageous bad, but defo was not going to be good enough in year 12.
How about 3u

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)