What subject to drop? (1 Viewer)

br319

HSC
I am currently doing 13 units and I want to drop one of my subjects. I am doing physics, business studies, english advanced, english extension, SOR2, mathematics and economics now.

Thinking of dropping either english extension or physics. My marks in both are the same, getting around 60-70.

Any suggestions on which one to drop?

Thanks

Dod0

HSC
It all really depends on what you want to put the effort into achieving good marks. What you think will consume the most time, etc.

br319

HSC
i didnt really enjoy the prelim course of either subject. Some people have told me that the yr 12 physics course is much funner, but still im not that excited about either subject. I was leaning towards dropping english ext as from what i have heard the workload is quite substantial for a 1 unit course

el-capitano

HSC
With an extension subject you have to take onboard that its like the work of a two unit or higher subject but its only worth one unit, then again, this one unit could be like the 'make or break' for your aim ATAR.
personally, i think if you find the pressure of extension english too hard- like content as well as the time it takes up (cause we all obv dont have enough hours in a day as year 12 students) then drop the extension.
On the flip side, physics, ive heard, is a huuuuuge workload and theres a lot more to it. when you think about it the exam - final exam, is a lot bigger
-english is only an essay and a creative
-physics is more.
there are positives and negatives to that, with english you'll rely on those two questions for marks where as in physics you can get them from elsewhere in the paper.
what i did when i was deciding what to drop (i was doing 15 units) was write down the benefits as well as the disadvantages of keeping each subject.
at the moment i have 14 cause i want to play out my subjects for longer rather than make a rash decision and drop one too soon. so yeah.
i hope that helped you ^_^
xx

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
keep physics if u want more variety in your subject choices
also, are u gonna do anything science based in uni?

br319

HSC
thanks for the suggestions guys.

el-capitano, i like your idea of the positives and negatives list, i think i will try it out and use it to decide.

ninetypercent, i plan to do something related to economics/commerce at uni so science is not really required.

just wondering what do u guys think is better, if i drop physics i will get an extra 3 study periods every 7 days but if i drop english extension i will be doing 12 units and have a 'back-up' subject. So what im really asking is do think its better to have more study periods or to be safe and do an extra unit?

thanks

Last edited:

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
General questions u should ask yourself

1. r u going to study during study periods?
yes - dont need back up. no - need a back up

2. do your marks fluctuate?
yes - need a back up. no - dont need one.

3. are u confident?
yes - dont need back up. no - you need a back up

4. are u good at managing your time?
yes - can have a back up. no - dont need a back up

rohan7

HSC
wow u do the same subjects i did except for SOR. i fucked off physics it got shit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)