What subjects are you doing for 2014? (1 Viewer)

nkw

HSC
N/A
-I originally wanted to do:
-3 unit eng
-Chem
-Physics
-SOR2
-Legal
-1 unit non-atar pe

But now some things have changed. For me to be able to do the extension eng and chem I have to get an A in them semester 2, otherwise I think I have to do modern and something else ( no interest at all bleh haha, so I will probably go to tafe)

I also can't do the 2 unit religion cause english and re clash so I have to do just 1, so I was thinking maybe just do catholic studies but its nice to try new things (learning about other religions) and also I wouldn't know what other subject I would want to pick

Oh and now I'm also doing Cafs instead of pe and the other unit of re (didn't really have a choice here)

So now my timetable would probably(hopefully) look like this:

-3 unit eng
-General maths
-Legal( I think I will regret picking this)
-SOR1
-Cafs
-Chem

Bleh such a long post, but yeah that should hopefully be my 2014 subjects otherwise I'm thinking of tafe because what's the point of stressing over subjects for my hsc I don't even care about haha

MarnzBarnz

HSC
hey fellow 2015ers,

I'm still deciding my subjects but its something along the lines of
English Adv + Ext
Legal Studies
French cont
Italian Beginners
Mod. History (possibly ext. in yr 12)
and either Agriculture or Biology ( can't decide between the two)

I want to study either law or international studies (possibly combined degree) at SydUni or UNSW (however the ATAR cut off seems impossibly high >99.5)

abc1234567890

HSC
N/A
Lol Economics is enjoyable...

And trust me, Chemistry is a shitload of content in Year 12 - you'll be surprised how much of it is actually Chemistry, and how much of it is the social/cultural/environmental impacts of Chemistry (same goes for Physics, but on a lesser scale).

And Economics really isn't that much memorising - a lot of the topics do tend to fit together in a logical manner and they link into each other - there's the inevitable amount of memorising + the need for memorising statistics, but that's the same as memorising equations to support your responses in Chem.

And the "external independent investigation" isn't a lot - as long as you spend about 30 mins - 1 hour a week doing a bit of extra research on AFR, ABS, SMH, The Economist etc. that's plenty - most of the stats are given in the provided textbooks anyway.

Legal, really depends on your school's option topics in yr 12.

A lot of Legal is memorising different conventions, treaties, documents of international law and the entire legal course is more "law's impact on society/individuals" as opposed to nitty gritty legal concepts which you have to absorb and apply.

If neither are your cup of tea, probably pick Biology since the exam technique skills, the prac skills and the 'style of study' are sorta similar to Chem, which in turn is similar to Phys.

Just my take on things.
Thanks for helping me decide between economics and legal! I like biology, but not the year 11 syllabus; and even though year 12 is more important it's just not something I would attend classes for. I'd rather just research the things I enjoy learning (i.e. human anatomy, health, genetics) because that's a lot better - we're not restricted to the syllabus. Also, I've heard that you need to memorise about 20 pages for each biology topic which is just... D:

Do you think it would be better to do both Eco and Legal, and drop one next year?

Last edited:

Lalaloop

HSC
I think I'll be doing the ff subjects:
Extension English ( another extension in year 12)
General Mathematics
Biology
Chemistry
Filipino as a LOTE
Studies of Religion
Business Studies

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
no maths?
i hear biology is easier since it's just memorising a lot of facts

MarnzBarnz

HSC
no maths?
i hear biology is easier since it's just memorising a lot of facts
was this addressed to me? hahah... yeah im not sure about dropping maths, im good at it like 85% + but not nearly as good as my other subjects, plus i kinda hate it haha

kokame

HSC
I'm still thinking about it.. but so far..
English Advanced
Maths 3 unit
Japanese cont.
Chinese cont.
Chemistry
and then maybe economics or physics

Then in year 12:
4 unit maths
Chinese extension
and not do eco or phy.

I'm doing accelerated maths at the moment and i wanna keep doing it so i can get my 2unit maths over and done with.

i'm interested in medicine and pharmacology. or become a teacher... i really haven't thought about it too much
my dream atar would be 99.65 which is to get into law. but im not really interested.
as high as i can. preferably 96+ to get into medicine. ><

Ununoctium

Che barba
HSC
I'm still thinking about it.. but so far..
English Advanced
Maths 3 unit
Japanese cont.
Chinese cont.
Chemistry
and then maybe economics or physics

Then in year 12:
4 unit maths
Chinese extension
and not do eco or phy.

I'm doing accelerated maths at the moment and i wanna keep doing it so i can get my 2unit maths over and done with.

i'm interested in medicine and pharmacology. or become a teacher... i really haven't thought about it too much
my dream atar would be 99.65 which is to get into law. but im not really interested.
as high as i can. preferably 96+ to get into medicine. ><
There are heaps of universities that you can get into for law with an ATAR below 99.65! ;)

Brokaens

HSC
English Extension 1
Maths Extension 1
Chemistry
Economics
Physics

roonneyge

HSC
My 2014 choices are

English Advanced
Mathematics
Chemistry
Biology
Modern History
Legal Studies
Studies of Religion I (compulsory at my school)

ATAR aim 90+
Currently have no idea what I want to do after graduation:(

lightthefuze

HSC
My choices :

-SOR 1
-English Standard
-Ancient History
-Modern History

-Biology
-PDHPE

ATAR goal: 98+
I'm not sure what to do at Uni just yet, i'm leaning more towards Medicine.
Would you find both histories hard? Or are you a history nerd like me? I'm planning to do only Ancient but I'm also leaning towards Modern to replace Legal *sigh*

R4diance

HSC
Subject lines have been finalized!
New subjects are as follows:
- English (Advanced)
- Mathematics with Extension 1
- Physics
- Chemistry
- Ancient History
- IPT

thought-process

HSC
Just thought I'd share my subjects for 2014:
Advanced English
Advanced 2 unit mathematics
Legal studies
Economics
Business studies
Agriculture
ATAR aim would probably be 91+?
I'm currently performing average-above average in all of my subjects with the exception of commerce in which I am in the top 15% of my cohort. I study at a selective school ranked the top 15-20 in the state; do any of you guys think that a 90+ atar for me is achievable ?
Note: I want to do business/commerce in university. Thanks guys :)

R4diance

HSC
Just thought I'd share my subjects for 2014:
Advanced English
Advanced 2 unit mathematics
Legal studies
Economics
Business studies
Agriculture
ATAR aim would probably be 91+?
I'm currently performing average-above average in all of my subjects with the exception of commerce which I am in the top 15% of my cohort. I study at a selective school in the top 15-20 in the state; do any of you guys think that a 90+ atar for me is achievable ?
Anything is achievable if you put in the work. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)