What subjects should I choose to fill up year 11 subject selection? (1 Viewer)

bissha2001

HSC
I've already picked 4 subjects but I need another 4 before I can submit the year 11 subject selection. Even if I pick the subject, I'm most probably going to drop it in year 12. Here are the subjects I've chosen:
Catholic studies (non-atar)
English Advanced
Biology
Hospitality
Maths standard (2 unit)
Legal Studies

I need 4 more before I can submit it so which should I pick?
Chemistry
Modern/Ancient History
PDHPE
Visual Arts
Physics
Economics

I'm just looking for the best subjects to pick to get it over with as well as one other subject to pick to get an atar.

(There are also more subjects to choose but these are the ones that I probably would choose)

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Choosing subjects is different for everyone due to differences in ability and interest.

I would just try to evaluate how I did in year 7-10 in similar subjects, so for chemistry and physics look at how you did in science and how much you were interested in those subjects, and then just choose whatever 4 are the best balance of the two factors.

Also, although you won't be able to understand the content now, it might be a good idea to just have a quick look at the syllabus for those subjects because it will give you an idea of the types of things you will be learning in each course. You can find them here: http://syllabus.nesa.nsw.edu.au/download/

Last edited:

bujolover

HSC
I've already picked 4 subjects but I need another 4 before I can submit the year 11 subject selection. Even if I pick the subject, I'm most probably going to drop it in year 12. Here are the subjects I've chosen:
English Advanced
Biology
Hospitality
Maths standard (2 unit)
Legal Studies

Chemistry
Modern/Ancient History
PDHPE
Visual Arts
Physics
Economics

I'm just looking for the best subjects to pick to get it over with as well as one other subject to pick to get an atar.

(There are also more subjects to choose but these are the ones that I probably would choose)
I may be missing something here, but why do you need four more subjects? You have 10 units so far, so wouldn't you only need 2 more units and hence, one more subject?

loaves

HSC
You can get a good ATAR with any combo of subjects - play to your strengths and interests!

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
I may be missing something here, but why do you need four more subjects? You have 10 units so far, so wouldn't you only need 2 more units and hence, one more subject?
Maybe the school makes them pick a substitute in case they don't get one?

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
English Advanced
Biology
Hospitality
Maths standard (2 unit)
Legal Studies

Chemistry
Modern/Ancient History
PDHPE
Visual Arts
Physics
Economics

Is this Advanced or General?

Frostguard

HSC
Is this Advanced or General?
It's basically General, the new syllabus doesn't refer to it as General Mathematics anymore, it's just Standard Maths.

As for the actual post, I still don't really get why you need 4 extra subjects but judging from your current subject selection, it seems you are more focused on the English subjects so you're probably a Humanities person with a little bit of science and home economics splashed in.

Chemistry- has good scaling, is probably the hardest science because in my opinion you need to be good at both maths and English to excel in the subject. Don't really know much about this subject but it could complement your other science of Biology.
Modern/Ancient History- I recommend you choose one of these, it's up to you, Modern is of course focused on recent events eg World War I/II, the Revolutions of the World, Alliances and all that sort of stuff. Don't really know much about Ancient but I guess it focuses on events from hundreds of years ago eg Pompeii, Egypt, Archaeology and all the civilisations that shaped who are today. Both have decent scaling and I think Modern scales a bit better. Also both have a fair bit of content, remembering key events and impacts, etc.
PDHPE- Don't really know much about this either but apparently there's no PE involved it's just the PDH, it'll help with physiotherapy and physiology and anatomy related stuff if you're into that, decent scaling and there is some fair memorisation and content like the histories.
Visual Arts- You're already doing Hospitality so not exactly a beneficial choice to choose this subject but if you really enjoy Art and is very creative then by all means go ahead. There is a major work involved and I guess it's 50% theory and 50% practical testing your ability to paint, draw and lino stuff, I don't know much on this sorry..
Physics- Once again you could choose this to complement Biology and double sciences are pretty common, that is if you enjoy science and do well at it, choose bio + chem or bio + phys. You could do all 3 but that's if you really enjoy your sciences or otherwise you'll be bombarded with mutoiple assessments during exam season. Probably more mathematical related with concepts of circuits, space and electricity calculations?
Economics- Contains a lot of memorisation and rote learning, I take this myself and the Preliminary course has 6 topics and if you don't write notes, it'll be hard to remember every single concept in this subject/topic. Has good scaling, that is if you do well and is a good social science subject that tests essay writing and economic terminology.

Sorry if I wasn't that detailed on my explanations but Good Luck for the future and hopefully you'll choose the subjects you love and are interested in. :)

sourmilk

HSC
English Advanced
Biology
Hospitality
Maths standard (2 unit)
Legal Studies

Chemistry
Modern/Ancient History
PDHPE
Visual Arts
Physics
Economics

I don't think we have a good idea on your strengths to decide which of the subjects best suit you. I just want to advise you that HSC subjects in Science is not remotely similar to the shit you learn in your junior years - so Chemistry and Physics you're gonna struggle in unless you have a knack for calculation and math.

In saying so, subjects like visual art require a lot of dedication to it - it's also hard to score marks due to the subjectivity of the subjects. I have friends who were artistically gifted however dropped because they were pressured to do art in a way that would score them lots of marks - it's also a theory based subject and honestly since there's heaps of subjectivity. Plus, there is a major work - major works are time consuming and honestly a shit-fest of stress, prepare to feel like your concept is not good enough and lots of last minute changes.

PDHPE, Economics, and Mod/Anc History are very very content heavy. I recommend these subjects if you're decent in essay writing and able to memorise heaps of syllabus dot points and summaries. These subjects are basically ROTE learning and mass info dump in the exams lol.

SO really jsut thing what type of person you are and then evaluate which is the best option for you.

If you are scientific and analytical -> Physics and Chem
If you are humanities type of guy -> PDHPE, ECO, and History
If you just love 2 arte -> Vis Art

bissha2001

HSC
Yeah, I just realised that when it said pick 4 extra subjects It just meant that I had to pick another 4 in case I don't make it into the class for some reason (limited staffing, low grades, ect) so could I get advice on the first subjects that I picked.

(Also I'm good at English, ok in Maths and good in some parts of science)

Tigerwoman

HSC
N/A
Is it possible to do 14 units in year 11. I'm in year 10 and just got my subject selection and want to do the following subjects. What do you reckon?

English standard
Agriculture
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Mathematics advanced
Business studies

What do you reckon should I drop one? I need an Atar get into my veterinary course at uni. So if I drop it'll have to be business studies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)