What subjects should I do for medicine? (1 Viewer)

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
i dont know alot, but im pretty sure modern history scales better than bio, so if it was me i would drop bio.

smileylyndall

HSC
Hi
I am in year 11 at the moment and are trying to pick my subjects (if I need to change anything for year 12). I want to do Medicine (preferably at UNSW) but I'm a little stuck as to what subject to drop.

AT the moment I am sitting on 13 units, however, I have to drop a 2 unit subject in order to pick up Music extension.

My subjects and marks right now are:

2 u English Advanced (86)
1 u Religion (96)
2 u Mathematics (93)
2 u Music 2 (83)
2 u PDHPE (84)
2 u Biology (80)
2 u Modern History (93)

I know that to get into medicine I have to pull up my marks in pretty much all my subjects - but that's not much of a problem, as all my teachers say "I'm not working anywhere near my full potential" rah rah etc.

My question is, should I drop modern History or Bio in order to pick up extension? I know my history mark is much better, but I like bio far more!!! I also am curious as to whether if I did get into medicine, would it be useful having done Biology? (By the way, my rank in history is 2nd out of 20 and my rank in bio is 11th out of 60)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thankyou :)
Lyndall

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
u do catch up bio at uni..
ummm ure subjects mark arent all tat crash hot.. but unless ure at a selective school they are pretty hard to gauge.. can be up to +/- 10 in comprehensive schools

well i pulled 30pts in english from yr 11 to 12.. so anything is possible. :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
That's weird...the reply is posted above the question. :eek:

Normally I'd say ignore scaling, since it's useless in real terms (your raw marks and rankings make all the difference). Which are you more interested in? Biology is pretty handy in med, but most people going in have the Chemistry/Physics/Maths conglomerate instead so they just assume you don't know any biology.

I guess what I'm saying is if you like history more, and can keep up the marks, stick with it and aim for the bullseye.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Yeah, theres som forum glitch ...

It also depends what school you'r coming from. I think bio is pretty helpful. My course's requirements for physics and chemistry and i know people are finding it hard with some of the "biology" aspects of it.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I suppose the biology would be more important in vet where you actually use the homology (unlike med, where we deal with only one species).

smileylyndall

HSC
i am enjoying biology much more then I'm enjoying history though!! I'm still not sure what I'll do, but thanks for your help! :)

Zali

HSC
If u like bio than keep bio. Youll prob do better in a subject that u enjoy studying rather than one u hate and wont want to do work in. there prob not that much difference in the scaling anyway

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)