• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

what subjects should i pick if i want to do law? (1 Viewer)

swift13

HSC
hi y'all :)
im wondering if youse would give me advice on what subjects would help me as i want to do Law in uni.
im in year 10 atm, and have to pick my subjects in a couple of weeks.
i'm a pretty good english student, higher than average but not AMAZING.

these are the subjects i wanna do next year to get into Law at UTS:
Mathematics, English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, 2 Unit Religion, Business Studies.

Is business studies a good subject to choose? apparently it scales shit :|

any other advice would be wonderful as well, thankyou sooo much! xxx

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
im wondering if youse would give me advice on what subjects would help me as i want to do Law in uni.

Mathematics, English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, 2 Unit Religion, Business Studies.

1) You pick subjects based on SCALING ONLY! And you have to be able to manage them as well!
2) UTS has bonus points, remember that
3) Your subjects are fine, but dont do business, do economics instead

Gigacube

HSC
If you enjoy English then you should try English Extension.

Never choose subjects based on scaling.

You have to work hard for subjects that scale well. You are much better off choosing a subject that you enjoy over a subject with high scaling.

Business Studies does not scale shit in comparison with subjects such as IPT.

On some uni sites you'll find recommended subjects.

You can't get bonus points if you're applying to do law at UTS. Keep that in mind & be willing to work hard to get there. Have a backup plan as well.

aya-chan

HSC

I know it's said often, but it's true: Pick subjects you're good and you like. Pick something you enjoy, and you won't mind studying for it (as much as you would for a subject you hate). I'd be lying if I said scaling doesn't make a difference though. If you're tossing up between two subjects, pick the one that scales better.

If you're bored, you could try playing around with an ATAR calculator and trying out different mark and subject combinations.

Also, if you're picking legal studies only because you'll need it later for law - think again. I know plenty of people that do law now that didn't do legal studies in high school. It's not a prerequiste.

But yeah, to be honest, I do recommend economics. It scales better than Business Studies.

At the end of the day though, just do the subjects that you want to do.

Also, you might want to look up ways of getting bonus points. There's the Elite Athletes and Performers scheme at UNSW, and bonus points for living in certain areas for UWS. So yeah. Do your research!

Last edited by a moderator:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Pick whatever subjects you want. Seriously - whatever takes your fancy.

I did 4U Maths, 3U English, Phys and Chem, and now I'm doing Arts (Politics) / Law at USyd. No correlation between the two.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
do legal studies if you enjoy it dont do it because you are thinking of doing law cause not much of legal studies gets transferred to 1st year law anyway. I did legal studies and recently my 1st year's 1st semester for commerce/law and there is little if any relationship between the two. The knowledge you learn isnt really covered in the uni law degree.

like others said, do subjects you like and enjoy because they will be subjects you are willing to study and as a result, will tend to perform better.

stillthinkin

HSC
Choose what you're good at so you can get the highest possible mark that you can. That way you will definitely get into the degree you want. Legal studies is rubbish and you go over it all in first year uni anyway. Go with what you are good at :)

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Fuck scalling, never pick subjects for scalling.

Do legal and business are both good, alot of content but good.

exiled

HSC
Learning all the content in Business Studies really isn't that hard if you have a genuine interest in the subject.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Law, there is no pre requisites so you can and should pick whatever you want.

Many people want to do law but don't do legal studies because it's a bit slow pace and not really that useful for uni Law.

So I say to Yr10er;
If you are good at English, consider Ext 1.
Pick the rest you you like/good at
And on the note of business studies, if you think it's interesting and you'll do well in it, scaling means nothing. However, you may find Economics a more interesting course if you're looking for another humanities ;) (I'm bias but everyone I know who does both says Economics is far broader and interesting)

Subjects choices are really hard, I wish you luck! And just think Law, no pre reqs. I know someone who did Ext 2 Eng, Society and Culture, Legal Studies, Economics and Business Studies and did Law and I know someone who did ESL, 4U Math, Physics and Chem who ended up doing Law. So yeah, there you go!

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
There's no prerequisites really for law, if you want, you could take up Legal but that's about it.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Legal wouldn't help you too much for a Law degree, but would give you a heads start for the basic foundation

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Yeah, mainly to learn fundamental stuff that they go through in 1st sem Law anyway.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
PICK SUBJECTS YOU ENJOY, DO NOT PICK THEM BECAUSE OF SCALING!!

Also, UTS DOES NOT OFFER BONUS POINTS FOR LAW!

I would recommend picking English Extension 1, do it for a term or so, and if you like it, keep it, if not well then drop it, what can you loose? And maybe you might even be able to get in English Extension 2 in year 12.

Modern History is a good choice, in terms of humanities, it scales considerably well, after economics, it's the highest scaling subject. But once again, I hope your not choosing it because of scaling. It's a great course, every interesting (especially the hsc course), and it gives you the opportunity of choosing History Extension.

Legal Studies, once again, great choice. It doesn't scale as much as economics and modern, but probably is the highest scaling humanity subject after them. I think it's very interesting and I enjoy it. Great preparation for university as well.

2 Unit Studies of Religion is another great humanity subject. I only did 1 unit SOR, but I wish I had done 2 unit. SOR is an easy course to gain marks in.

Business Studies, well I heard there is a lot of content, but if you like it, choose it. Forget about scaling.

Remember that to succeed in humanity subjects is the following:

1. Know the content. Write your notes out on a daily basis, memorize your notes by rote if possible

2. Know how to answer/approach questions. The people who know the content can get band 5s, to get a band 6, you must know how to answer a question and write a decent response. None of this prepared/memorized essay crap for humanity subjects, it doesn't work! You must know the content and know how to answer a question

If you know these two things, you'll do well in the HSC.

Remember, UTS has no bonus points for law, so you'll be looking at getting that 97.2 ATAR to get into it. However, it's not impossible. Aim to be the best you can be and don't slack off. I'm sure you'll do great

All the best

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
replace legal and business with physics and chemistry and instead of 2unit SOR do ext maths and english

coz for law you need like a good atar

tambam

HSC
Does UTS law not require a combined degree like UNSW and Usyd?

Because another thing to consider would be what you would want to combine law with, such as Commerce or Arts, because that could actually affect what subjects you pick.

And business studies is THE easiest course ever, most of it is common sense and doesn't require any real knowledge/learning.
So even though it doesn't scale well, if you're a decent student it should be really easy to get a band 6, as opposed to if you picked a subject just for high scaling like sciences, which would require a lot more effort.

Economics does scale significantly better though, but make sure you have a genuine interest in it, and don't just pick it for scaling :)

enoilgam

HSC
I'm pretty sure that UTS doesnt offer straight law for undergraduates.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't listen to kaz

Funnily, all the best ATARs from my school have been lots of english and mainly humanities(normally no maths, and only bio if they happened to do a science). These are all 98.5+ ers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)