What text books? (1 Viewer)

cando

HSC
Hi guys
Just a quick question, I got a VERY late round offer in2 med at adelaide and had to defer as i literally could not get down there in time. Whilst enjoying my year off I am missing the whole study thing (scary but true) and was wondering what books you guys would recommend that I could start reading/studying as there is just so damn bloody many to choose from. Also I've worked my way through one of those anatomy colouring books already.
Ta

Antler

Custom User Title
HSC
Don't start now! What the hell is wrong with you?! Wait for med to start then start thinking about these things :D.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
WHO CARES ABOUT TEXTBOOKS!!!!
yeah seriously.. you dont need to start with any at all

the power of Google and wikipedia is at your fingertips
and the library.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
ROFL
... for a small price i could email u the workload for the whole of 1st yr and 2nd yr and 3rd yr..
lolz u could literally complete the pre-clin part based on just tat...

BUT... i wont ..
id say take the yr off.. cos the things u could do involve a lot of the course work and it changes every yr.. in my time 1st yr was 25 hrs.. its now close to 30hrs ..

how late is late tho? cos we literally had ppl coming in till about the 6th week..when i was in 1st yr

cando

HSC
haha fair enough, im just one of those losers who enjoys studying (im counting down the days until I can go!) I got my offer first week. But there was no room at any of the colledges, and im a stress head so i didn't wanna go in behind n stuff

Antler

Custom User Title
HSC
Seriously you will be immersed in medicine for the rest of your life (you know the whole "life-long learning" thing) so enjoy your free time now.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
^ditto what the others said...yeah you might like studying now but trust me you'll hate it and look forwards to your next holiday once you actually start...

my advice would be to find a job and earn some money in the meantime cos uni (the whole shebang- textbooks, materials, going out, clothers, transport) drains alot out of your pocket.

Alternatively you could use half the year to find out the meaning to life, write songs on the ukelele, plant an organic vegetable garden, swim the bass strait, paint abstract art....whatever!

Granted, I do admire your enthusiasm and committment. A bit of study won;t do you much harm. I'd recommend you get a very basic anatomy book and go through the systems, read up on medical communications, revise yr 12 biology (or acquaint yourself on the university equivalent) and possible even a bit of physiology. Aim to get a general understanding so you can piece together the relevant parts and appreciate the body as a whole. Don't worry about release of vasoendothelial growth factor in haemodynamic compromise.

Most of all, have fun!

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
NO NOT
VEGFs thats sooo important in inflammation too

lolz

Antler

Custom User Title
HSC
You guys with your fancy medical knowledge! I know erm.. um.......ooo....err what marxism is! yeah thats right.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i googled most of my medical knowledge

and the rest is from cleo and cosmo.. so i only realli know how to please a man... lolz

Hurri

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
i googled most of my medical knowledge

and the rest is from cleo and cosmo.. so i only realli know how to please a man... lolz
hahahaha! thats so true

tkdwhiz1188

HSC
I feel my brain fermenting after 2 weeks w/o a textbook to read...Here r some commonly used texts:

Anatomy/Physio:
  • Saladin (Anatomy/Physio)
    Easy-to-read with loads of colourful pics. I find it simple and to the point. Excellent text.
  • Guyton & Hall (Physio)
    Supposed to be a really comprehensive text. Most people I know own one, but start off wif Saladin
  • Gray's Anatomy
    Despite its aesthetic appeal, I would not recommend this to people. Yes, its probably the most comprehensive anatomy text around (since 1800+ actually), but it has way too much detail packed into 1000 pages. Good for people who intend to do the USMLE though.
  • Moore's (Anatomy)
    More user-friendly than Gray's. Prescribed text for Monash. Buy this.
  • Netter's Atlas (Anatomy)
    Buy this regardless of which anat text u choose. It has beautiful pictures, courtesy of a certain Mr F. Netter.

.skype_tb_injection { font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-style: bold; font-weight: bold; border: 0; margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; line-height: normal; vertical-align:top; text-indent:0; color:#333333; cursor:hand; background:transparent none no-repeat scroll 0px 0px; height:15px; white-space: nowrap; }.skype_tb_injectionIn { font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-style: bold; font-weight: bold; border: 0; margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; line-height: normal; vertical-align:middle; text-indent:0; color:#333333; cursor:hand; background:transparent url(C:\Program Files\Skype\toolbars\Skype for Internet Explorer\inactive_m.compat.gif) repeat-x scroll 0px 0px; height:15px; position: relative; top: -1px;}.skype_tb_injectionInAct { font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-style: bold; font-weight: bold; border: 0; margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; line-height: normal; vertical-align:middle; text-indent:0; border-width:normal; color:#333333; cursor:hand; background:transparent url(C:\Program Files\Skype\toolbars\Skype for Internet Explorer\active_m.compat.gif) repeat-x scroll 0px 0px; height:15px; position: relative; top: -1px;}.skype_tb_table { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 9px; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; border: 0; margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; line-height: normal; vertical-align: top; background-position: 0 0; text-indent:0; border-width:thin; cursor:hand; background-repeat:no-repeat;}.skype_tb_tr { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 9px; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; background:background-image; padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px; line-height: normal; vertical-align: top; border: 0; line-height: normal; vertical-align: middle; border-width:thin; text-indent:0; cursor:hand; background-repeat:no-repeat;}.skype_tb_td { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-style: bold; font-weight: bold; background:background-image; padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px; line-height: normal; vertical-align: middle; border: 0; background-position: 0 0; text-indent:0; border-width:thin; color:black; cursor:hand; background-repeat:no-repeat;}.skype_tb_link,.skype_tb_link:link,.skype_tb_link:visited { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 9px; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; color: #003366; text-decoration: underline; background:background-image;}.skype_tb_link:hover,.skype_tb_link:active { color: #FF0000; background:background-image; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 9px;}.skype_tb_img { border:0; margin:0px 0px 0px 0px; padding:0px 0px 0px 0px; line-height:normal; position:relative; top:2px; }.skype_tb_hidimg { visibility:hidden;position:absolute;left:0px;top:0px; }var skype_curid=0,skype_active=false,skype_showseed=0,skype_ctm=0;function HideSkype() { if(!skype_active) HideSkypeFull(); else setTimeout("HideSkype()",2000);}function HideSkype2() { skype_showseed=0; if(!skype_active) HideSkypeFull(); else { skype_active=false; setTimeout("HideSkype()",6000); }}function HideSkypeFull() { skype_active=false; document.all.skype_menu.style.visibility="hidden"; document.all.skype_tb_hideframe.style.display = "none";}function CheckSkype() { skype_active=true;}function ShowSkype(obj,id,sadd,skypeout,name,title,stat) { skype_active=true; if(document.all.skype_menu.style.visibility!="hidden" && skype_curid==id) return; skype_showseed=Math.random(); clearTimeout(skype_ctm); var brd=obj.getBoundingClientRect(); var pcx=brd.left-2, pcy=brd.top-22; skype_ctm= setTimeout('DoShowSkype('+skype_showseed+','+id+','+sadd+','+skypeout+',"'+name+'","'+title+'",'+stat+','+event.clientY+','+event.clientX+','+pcx+','+pcy+')',200);}function DoShowSkype(seed,id,sadd,skypeout,name,title,stat,cY,cX,pcx,pcy) { if(seed!=skype_showseed) return; skype_showseed=0; skype_curid=id; var menu=document.all.skype_menu; menu.style.visibility="visible"; var fname=prepareText("Call %s","Call",name); var oname=document.all.name_text; setSkypeTextWithCut(oname,fname,170); bNew=(navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE 6.")>=0 && document.compatMode!="BackCompat"); var docelem = (bNew) ? document.documentElement : document.body; scrollY=docelem.scrollTop; scrollX=docelem.scrollLeft; var my=pcy+scrollY, mx=pcx+scrollX, mby=docelem.clientHeight+scrollY, mbx=docelem.clientWidth-192+scrollX; if(my>mby) my=mby; if(mymbx) mx=mbx; if(mx16)// m_name=m_name.substring(0,13)+'...';// obj.innerText=m_name;// return; var ct=text,ctf=text; while(true) { obj.innerText=ctf; var obrd=obj.getBoundingClientRect(); var ocx=obrd.right-obrd.left; if(ocx0) { var s=new String(act1); s=s.replace("%s",param); return s; } return act2;}function skype_tb_imgAlt(imgName,act1,act2,title) { if(document.images) document[imgName].alt=prepareText(act1,act2,title);}function skype_tb_imgDoOnOff(imgName,id,onoff) { document[imgName+id].src=document[imgName+onoff].src;}function skype_tb_imgOnOff(onoff,id) { if(document.images) { skype_tb_imgDoOnOff('skype_tb_img_l',id,onoff); skype_tb_imgDoOnOff('skype_tb_img_r',id,onoff); skype_tb_imgDoOnOff('skype_tb_img_i',id,onoff); document.all['skype_tb_text'+id].className=(onoff=='_on')?'skype_tb_injectionInAct':'skype_tb_injectionIn'; }}

rockstar01

HSC
pointdexter can you atleast tell me what systems we cover in second semester....
i think i need to do some pre reading these holidays

Keen

MD
HSC
As far as textbooks, Sherwood physiology is the one eveyone loves and I say go with! If you want to have a read of this by all means.
You can be a bit darring and read up on anatomy but it's easier to learn once you're there, whereas as some basic physiology/biology won't go astray.
You may want to revise biology as the new course you have to take biology as an elective which many find hard.

For rockstar01: Sem 02 of first year at Adelaide should be about the same - perhaps a different order since me and pointy were there:

Osteoporosis, Cystic Fibrosis, Peptic Ulcer + Hypovolemic shock, Diabetes, Carpal Tunnel, Hypertension + MI.

Probably shouldn't be telling you this stuff anyway, sort of against the whole point of learning your differentials etc (especially for MEQ).

Good luck

Keen

Keen

MD
HSC
I could ask the same question of you!
Mark in 3rd year (there's only one) have a look on the MLTU website if you want to stalk me, most people in first year know who I am, mostly as a troublemaker.
You guys are a strange bunch.

Keen

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
kewl then just tap me on the shoulder during school :)

btw boys.. Convention is Awesome.. ;)

Fractures and bone restructuring/remodelling
URTI and Pediatrics/Resp
GI/Bleeding
Diabetes + complications..
peripheral and central neuropathies
Chest pains and cardiac pathologies..

those are more broad than how keen put it :)

moz

Med Student
HSC
Textbooks... tough choice! Here's my pick, based on my experience as a med student and also working in the medical bookshop at John Hunter Hospital... of course this is PBL focused.. if for some reason you're not doing a pbl course.. through this out the window and buy whatever u get told too...

PHYSIOLOGY: it's highly debated.. the obvious authorative text is Guyton... but some ppl like an entry level one like Martini or Tortora for first semester of first yr... I recommend u borrow martini or whatever from the library for the lil while u use it, and buy guyton which will get u through 1st and 2nd yr

ANATOMY: you can't go past Gray's Anatomy for Students here... ppl will rave about the hand-drawn pics of Netter, which are great, but nothing beats the 3d computer generated graphics of Gray's for students. combine this with a good cardaver atlas and your set to learn all the anatomy u need.. which in most med schools aint much!

PATHOLOGY: don't even dream about touching anything but Robbins... it's the gold-standard and now in beautiful colour :)

PHARMACOLOGY: Rang and Dale... beautiful colour, simple explanations but covers all the systems pretty well. add in a free older copy of AMH from your local pharmacist or the online copy for doses and regimes and your set to start medicating.

CLINICAL MEDICINE: this is prob the biggest debate... Harrisons or Davidson's? (sorry, but i leave kumar and clark out cause i think it's a little too simplistic)... Harrison's is authorative... but $200 and available online for free through most good med schools, so if you want to buy something, grab Davidson's off ebay for cheap, and then use online free harrisons or a library copy to fill in any gaps.

CLINICAL EXAMINATION: Talley and O'Connor... don't even DREAM about touching anything else!

funnybunny

funniest bunny in th land
HSC
ANATOMY: you can't go past Gray's Anatomy for Students here... ppl will rave about the hand-drawn pics of Netter, which are great, but nothing beats the 3d computer generated graphics of Gray's for students. combine this with a good cardaver atlas and your set to learn all the anatomy u need.. which in most med schools aint much!
hmmm gray's anatomy...one problem there's mistakes in it (but only minor ones)...the best one is Moore's latest edition evey1 noes that.

Antler

Custom User Title
HSC
You do know it is all personal preference, really pointless to argue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)