• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

what TEXTBOOK do you use?! (1 Viewer)

kpq_sniper017

zergcave said:
Coroneos - big lump of smelly recycled paper with the ugliness font in the world....bad layout. reminds me of white pages...BIG NONO

Cambridge - Heavy piece of shit....questions go far beyond the syllabus...there are the impossible ext. questions that just ridiculous - those will never be asked in an hsc exam

MIF - ? dont they only produce books for the idiot course......?? errr........ahhaahah jkz
i think if coroneos was published in a different font and was laid out a bit better, it would be one of the leading textbooks used by schools. coz it has pretty good questions. u could just learn the concepts from another textbook and then navigate to the exercises and do those.

as for cambridge....if u can't do the extension questions, then don't.

leginag

Sydney, NSW, Australia, Southern Hemisphere
lol...i use the Cambridge Textbook.... its good for the graded questions... basic...development and extension
the extension is designed more for 4 unit boys..so if your doing 3u...naturally u'll find it hard
its a really good book for examples and explanations
all the authors of the 3 and 4u cambridge teach/taught at my school lol

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
we use fitz at skool
only thing we've ever used

kpq_sniper017

leginag said:
lol...i use the Cambridge Textbook.... its good for the graded questions... basic...development and extension
the extension is designed more for 4 unit boys..so if your doing 3u...naturally u'll find it hard

mojako

HSC
leginag said:

to pcx_demolition:
no u'r not expected to do them. and it doesnt become easier if u do ext2 (except for the fact that if u do ext2 u'r doing more maths and might be more used to doing harder questions and hence those ext questions don't look as stressful as they would if you havent encountered any other stressful questions)
but a component of the ext2 course is the harder ext1 topics / questions. theres not really new formulas or concepts.

leginag

pcx_demolition017 said:
i'm in y11 accelerating ext 1 maths...would someone like me be expected to know how to do those ext 2 questions? or do they become easier to do if ur actually doing ext 2?
i've never even touched one of the extension problems as they take the course beyond the 3u scope...but some of them are do-able lol:p...don't stress out if u can't do them
as ext 2 boys generally are the ones who are really good at maths and presumably LIKE it...they are more inclined to tackle those problems
the ext questions are similar to ones found at the end of exams written by evil maths teachers

leginag

mojako said:
and what's yur school (don't have to answer if u dont like to)
btw it's not just "boys" :p

to pcx_demolition:
no u'r not expected to do them. and it doesnt become easier if u do ext2 (except for the fact that if u do ext2 u'r doing more maths and might be more used to doing harder questions and hence those ext questions don't look as stressful as they would if you havent encountered any other stressful questions)
but a component of the ext2 course is the harder ext1 topics / questions. theres not really new formulas or concepts.
hahahhaa...sorry....i go to an all-boys school and so the tendancy to refer to jus guys:$:$...me bad...and its funny how similar our replies are lol..considering we were both writing at the same time lol
i go to a good school...its usu fairly high up in the hsc standings...lol..is that enough clues??
if u have to u can look in the cambridge book and see which school the teachers are at:p:p

SipSip

HSC
N/A
I recommend the Fitzpatricks....and also the cambridge ones...although cambridge normally goes beyond what is needed...but on the other hand...those questions will normally be the ones that turn up and hit you in the face on question 8 of the HSC....so if money was no object...get both and work your ass off!! :D

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
SipSip said:
I recommend the Fitzpatricks....and also the cambridge ones...although cambridge normally goes beyond what is needed...but on the other hand...those questions will normally be the ones that turn up and hit you in the face on question 8 of the HSC....so if money was no object...get both and work your ass off!! :D
Or question four of a catholic paper:p

mojako

HSC
leginag said:
hahahhaa...sorry....i go to an all-boys school and so the tendancy to refer to jus guys:$:$...me bad...and its funny how similar our replies are lol..considering we were both writing at the same time lol
i go to a good school...its usu fairly high up in the hsc standings...lol..is that enough clues??
if u have to u can look in the cambridge book and see which school the teachers are at:p:p

"Julia Shea" is not there though...:p she's in the yr11 book.. I dont currently have the yr12 next to me so im not sure if she's in the yr12 too.. but it's nice to see that not all of them are in ur school lol :p that'd be monolopy!
btw do u know how those teachers got to write the book (for cambridge university press)? share us the story if u can ;)
anyway, how does bill pender and the others teach? do u use cambridge (only)? do u get many handouts? do they teach only the higher level classes (ext 1 and 2) or 2U as well? pardon me for asking too many questions...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
ToO LaZy ^* said:
:uhhuh:
those cssa papers are killing me!
No, they are taunting you right now, the mortal blow will come on the 9th.:uhhuh:

HSC
fitzpatrick is good for extra qs

No, they are taunting you right now, the mortal blow will come on the 9th.
true that... but luckily my school is only using parts of CSSA paper..and getting other qs from other sources.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
ToO LaZy ^* said:
fitzpatrick is good for extra qs

No, they are taunting you right now, the mortal blow will come on the 9th.
true that... but luckily my school is only using parts of CSSA paper..and getting other qs from other sources.
:chainsaw:that was a chainsaw)

psych_girl

HSC
:)

2U: Math in Focus & New Senior Mathematics
3U: Cambridge Mathematics and New Senior Mathematics
4U: same as above + revise in 4U math (the dark blue coverpage)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)