What to combine law with? (1 Viewer)

squishyau

HSC
Hi guys,

Just wanted to get some advice on what is better to combine law with, I know theres no perfect combination, but I'm sure some would be better than others. At the moment I am thinking of doing advanced maths/law because I have a passion for both, and I am unsure on whether I want to become an actuary or lawyer. Although I am happy with this option, I've been having doubts due to the 6 year length, as I have to complete a compulsory maths honours year, and with my quantitative risk major, it could extend to 6.5 years. So I was just wondering if it was worth it to have this combination in terms of length of course vs jobs/pay etc once I graduate? I had thoughts about doing com/law or criminology/law last year mainly because the two degrees could complement each other, but chose to combine with maths, so any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
If you are heading towards Law, then the degree you are combining with doesn't really matter. I have friends who are currently doing summer clerkships at KWM, Ashurst and HSF and they are doing different degrees (Science, Arts, Commerce & International Studies). I would just pick the degree you are interested in so that way you will enjoy your time at uni. Don't just do say Commerce because you think it will help you get into the Big 6.

As you are unsure right now whether to be An Actuary or a Lawyer, I think the Maths/Law would be a good idea. If you later find out you want to be an Actuary, you could drop the Law degree or if you want to be a Lawyer, you will adjust your maths Degree so that you finish within 6 years instead of 6.5 years. The one extra year of study doesn't really hurt besides missing out on pay for a year :)

TBH Commerce doesn't really compliment Law that much if you are heading into Commercial Law Firms as the thing you need to know will be taught in law courses such as Law of Banking, Business Association 1 & 2 etc. Law makes your commerce degree look attractive but if you are doing well in Commerce, that's more than enough to attract firms. Similarly with Criminology, that only helps to an extent if you plan to be a criminal lawyer.

squishyau

HSC
Thank you, that was helpful :) shame they don't offer the actuarial major in commerce anymore :/

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hi guys,

Just wanted to get some advice on what is better to combine law with, I know theres no perfect combination, but I'm sure some would be better than others. At the moment I am thinking of doing advanced maths/law because I have a passion for both, and I am unsure on whether I want to become an actuary or lawyer. Although I am happy with this option, I've been having doubts due to the 6 year length, as I have to complete a compulsory maths honours year, and with my quantitative risk major, it could extend to 6.5 years. So I was just wondering if it was worth it to have this combination in terms of length of course vs jobs/pay etc once I graduate? I had thoughts about doing com/law or criminology/law last year mainly because the two degrees could complement each other, but chose to combine with maths, so any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Well, if you like both things and want to pursue both of them - then of course it's worth it. In the end, I don't think you'll end up with a job that uses both - so consider it that you now have two options to follow: Mathematics or Law.

squishyau

HSC
Well, if you like both things and want to pursue both of them - then of course it's worth it. In the end, I don't think you'll end up with a job that uses both - so consider it that you now have two options to follow: Mathematics or Law.
What are you planning to do with adv maths?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'm thinking of going into post-grad.

There's some mathematics that I find super, super interesting - but am not as good at as I would like. So I'm thinking of pursuing that through research or more coursework in the undergrad portion...

And for jobs, as I think you were getting at, I know a few UNSW Honours students in maths get snapped up by employers during their Honours year - so that could be a possibility. I might get a doctorate and go into academia. I might stop at Honours and just find work by myself.

squishyau

HSC
I'm thinking of going into post-grad.

There's some mathematics that I find super, super interesting - but am not as good at as I would like. So I'm thinking of pursuing that through research or more coursework in the undergrad portion...

And for jobs, as I think you were getting at, I know a few UNSW Honours students in maths get snapped up by employers during their Honours year - so that could be a possibility. I might get a doctorate and go into academia. I might stop at Honours and just find work by myself.
That sounds pretty good, would be great to start working by the 5th year! cheers shadowdude :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)