• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What to do if they give extract for PAPER 2 (ENG ADV) (1 Viewer)

XLfree2024

HSC
If they give an extract from one of the TS Eliot poems or Tempest/Hagseed extract r we meant to dedicate a whole body paragraph towards it analysing it? or can we discuss the ideas it shows in the intro and then base the essay off the ideas? Bit conflicted as ive been hearing completely diff things. does anyone know what past students have done in hsc / trials aswell for these types of qs and how they went?? thanks

nonya2000

Banned
HSC
who knows. Just make your writing make absolutely no sense by inserting complicated words that nobody uses. English teachers love that for some reason.

XLfree2024

HSC
Bruh the teachers at my skl genuinely grill anyone that overcomplicates it and doesnt answer the q idk if thats gna work

ilovecutecats

HSC
N/A
with english you gotta basically shove them with complicated words and act smart. If u look at band 1 responses they use very basic terminology

Ethan Pham

HSC
If they give an extract from one of the TS Eliot poems or Tempest/Hagseed extract r we meant to dedicate a whole body paragraph towards it analysing it? or can we discuss the ideas it shows in the intro and then base the essay off the ideas? Bit conflicted as ive been hearing completely diff things. does anyone know what past students have done in hsc / trials aswell for these types of qs and how they went?? thanks
Advice from my nsb 23 friends (who do TS eliot, they got 96 and 97 exteral in english) as well as talking to a HSC marker: you only need to include it as PART of your essay (i'm assuming you have one prepped, with 3 main ideas), no need to dedicate a whole body paragraph to it (mention it for like 2-3 sentences within a body, relate it to your ideas). In your intro however, you should state smth like "as seen in the excerpt" when it relates to your idea. if the extract does not relate to your idea then... that's unlucky

HSC
I think you would refer to the extract throughout your essay from intro to conclusion

not saying you shouldn't use the quotes you've prepared (you definitely should) but maybe one of the quotes/explanations per body paragraph should come from the extract. or if the extract is referring to themes, motifs or key ideas in particular you could do body para's for each of those themes - and your quotes could be a mix of prepared ones + from the extract that reflect those themes (idk)

in my HSC (95 overall) can't remember what the mod A stimulus was but for mod B it was literal screenshots from the film I studied (never seen that in a past paper before) which was trippy, I still used my prepared quotes and explanations but made sure to talk about a screenshot or 2 in each paragraph as well, I guess that worked out

you'll just need to improvise and know your text well enough to do that

XLfree2024

HSC
what do you mean when you say part of your essay?
Yeah can u elaborate on this more, I do one bp for each poem (planning to do 3), do u reckon its worth to add it to the first few sentences of each para and let it trail off into the idea for each poem?

XLfree2024

HSC
I think you would refer to the extract throughout your essay from intro to conclusion

not saying you shouldn't use the quotes you've prepared (you definitely should) but maybe one of the quotes/explanations per body paragraph should come from the extract. or if the extract is referring to themes, motifs or key ideas in particular you could do body para's for each of those themes - and your quotes could be a mix of prepared ones + from the extract that reflect those themes (idk)

in my HSC (95 overall) can't remember what the mod A stimulus was but for mod B it was literal screenshots from the film I studied (never seen that in a past paper before) which was trippy, I still used my prepared quotes and explanations but made sure to talk about a screenshot or 2 in each paragraph as well, I guess that worked out

you'll just need to improvise and know your text well enough to do that
Thanks for ur reply ; so you think its best to make sure the ideas and quotes (at least one from the extract) link to your main idea in each bp right? is it sufficient to just state it near the start of each thing or should it be a focus in the bp

HSC
Thanks for ur reply ; so you think its best to make sure the ideas and quotes (at least one from the extract) link to your main idea in each bp right? is it sufficient to just state it near the start of each thing or should it be a focus in the bp
yeah your quotes, from a given extract or otherwise, should link to the main idea of the paragraph
your first sentence will likely be the main idea itself, and for every brief explanation of a quote I would suggest clearly linking it back to that idea

Sunny1422

HSC
Advice from my nsb 23 friends (who do TS eliot, they got 96 and 97 exteral in english) as well as talking to a HSC marker: you only need to include it as PART of your essay (i'm assuming you have one prepped, with 3 main ideas), no need to dedicate a whole body paragraph to it (mention it for like 2-3 sentences within a body, relate it to your ideas). In your intro however, you should state smth like "as seen in the excerpt" when it relates to your idea. if the extract does not relate to your idea then... that's unlucky
what about key words from the question? how often are u meant to refer to it within the essay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)