What to do to get the best results in yearly report? (1 Viewer)

HSCExposed

HSC
I got to a crap school, where most of the students drop out and go tafe, etc. Over the past few years I didn't really care about school and always got bad reports! I really want to get into a good school now and the only way is to get a extremely good report. Since term 4 has started, I wish to be good in class and get the best results. Can someone give me some few pointers to get a good report and good marks for all classes? Also what do you guys do that makes you so interested in sudying? I get so bored of studying and my parents make me studly like every day and also in the morning every Saturday and Sunday so I basically I go school and when I come back I get forced to study two hours every day :( even in the weekends!! What should i do? How can i concentrate better?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Study what you like the most to get you started. And study what you least like when your parents are on observation. lol.

HSCExposed

HSC
Yeah but the problem is that I always lose focus after like 20 minutes when I study. What makes you keep focused? I'm in year 10 btw.

bedpotato

HSC
Take a 2 minute break every 20 minutes? Walk around your house or something.

pigas

HSC
I'm the same. This usually helps me:

- when you feel restless, such as every 20 minutes, take a 2 min break. Have a drink. Check Facebook. Whatever. But don't let yourself get too absorbed. Get back to studying.
- use different study methods. People learn differently - maybe you can find videos online which explain concepts in what you're studying? If you study history, you could watch related history videos with educational content. Make flash cards to remember terms and test yourself. Record yourself reciting important points or definitions and listen to them on the way to school or something.
- have a set time when you study. I heard after repeating something at a set time everyday for like a month you will do it habitually, so it's not such a 'chore' to go start studying.
- set goals. what do you want to achieve in life? goals will motivate you. envision your goals, think about why you want to achieve them, and realise that the next few years may be critical to achieving these goals.

Hope this helps, good luck!

HSCExposed

HSC
I'm the same. This usually helps me:

- when you feel restless, such as every 20 minutes, take a 2 min break. Have a drink. Check Facebook. Whatever. But don't let yourself get too absorbed. Get back to studying.
- use different study methods. People learn differently - maybe you can find videos online which explain concepts in what you're studying? If you study history, you could watch related history videos with educational content. Make flash cards to remember terms and test yourself. Record yourself reciting important points or definitions and listen to them on the way to school or something.
- have a set time when you study. I heard after repeating something at a set time everyday for like a month you will do it habitually, so it's not such a 'chore' to go start studying.
- set goals. what do you want to achieve in life? goals will motivate you. envision your goals, think about why you want to achieve them, and realise that the next few years may be critical to achieving these goals.

Hope this helps, good luck!
Thanks bro much appreciated :) btw how do you study for tests? Cause like I'm really good at maths but when I go do a test at school my mind goes completely blank!

HSCExposed

HSC
Btw guys, is it better to be in a carp school where you're the only one topping classes or a school where everyone is smart and the school has good hsc results?

macrazy

HSC
It depends on the individual not the school for the most part, it isn't significantly better or worse either way and it depends on personal preference :) I find that whenever I start loosing concentration while studying (I can usually stick it out about 40mins) I put a song on (preferably really loud) and just dance around really stupid for the song to get my blood pumping again then I find I can concentrate more :) convincing yourself that you have a passion for whatever subject you are doing works well too! For instance I love science, like really love it, but maths I'm so-so on, so I spent a while just telling myself that I really love maths because its just like science, and now I'm more motivated to do it. If you have a subject you really hate (like I hate english) just tell yourself that by studying and staying motivated in that subject, you will end up in the course that you want to be in if you intend on going to uni. Trick the mind into thinking you want to study and eventually it will become habit :)

pigas

HSC
Thanks bro much appreciated :) btw how do you study for tests? Cause like I'm really good at maths but when I go do a test at school my mind goes completely blank!
Well I'm not sure about maths because I don't do maths and almost never studied it in junior years. :p I guess though you would just be familiar with the forumlas, and do lots of practice questions. Maybe it will help if you put yourself if an exam situation? That is, get some practice questions, sit on your desk, and give yourself a time limit. In that time, you do the test without any help from other resources. It might help to get used to exam conditions.
When I study for tests usually I go over every dot point in the syllabus/whatever dot point you need to know that will be in the test. Do practice papers/practice questions. It helps a lot because you get familiar with what type of questions may be asked. If you're doing the test and your mind goes blank, then I suggest high lighting the keywords, and thinking to yourself what do you know about what is being asked? Hopefully this will trigger you to remember more about what it's asking. If you have absolutely no idea.. well just write what it might be, in case you get something right and earn an extra mark. :p

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Are you thinking of moving to a selective school or something like that? Because they also look at extra curriculars, so not only does your academic performance need to be "up there", but you also need to be an all-rounder type.

When you study, take 5 minutes break for every 30 minutes if you find you lack concentration. Or just get yourself super into whatever you study so you forget you're even studying at all :p

Out of curiosity, what year are you in?

Capo

HSC
Btw guys, is it better to be in a carp school where you're the only one topping classes or a school where everyone is smart and the school has good hsc results?
Definitely the latter. When you're in low ranked school(school rank < 200) doing the HSC, you'll need to be ranked first in every subject to be unaffected by your cohort. However, of you're in a high ranking school, you'll only to get an above-average rank to receive a good ATAR. That being said, you can still do well in year 12 if you go to a low ranked school. You just need to work hard.

If you're in year 10, then you might not be able to apply for selectives because applications for selective schools close at July/August. You can still apply for a higher ranking school if you really want to switch schools though.

J280

HSC
Some advice for studying:
- Find a nice, quiet place. (e.g. Libraries, study rooms, etc.)
- Take breaks in between study periods (e.g. 45 minute sessions with 15 minute rests in between)
- Find a source of motivation (Why do you want to study? What university course do you want to get into?)
- Listen to music if you really need to.

For Mathematics:
- Do as many practice questions and past papers if you can get any.
- Consistent practice (30 mins per day) is MUCH more effective than cramming. Cramming for maths will come back and haunt you.

For English:
- Write practice essays and get your teacher to correct them. This will allow you to perfect your writing techniques.
- Make sure you understand the text(s) you are studying. Try not to memorize essays for English.

For other subjects in general:
- Keep an organised file of notes. Never leave things to the last minute.

All the best!

dtmtrano

HSC
Well, you gotta put alot of effort into simple things like bookwork, assignments, class tasks and discussions - that way you can be more motivated and eager to study. Understand that you will only get out what you put in, so make sure you study well in terms of preparing and excelling in assessments. Being a good student also requires a lot of dedication and passion. For this to happen, you can just start off with the basics - prioritise and be organised. DO NOT PROCRASTINATE!

This is what I do for exams:
Have a study notebook with all my subjects inside.
Make my study notes 2 weeks before the exam (using cornell notes), outlining the key topics
During the two weeks that I have left, I will review, revise and read constantly my notes everywhere i go - toilet, in the car, waiting at the doctors, at school during homeroom, etc. Basically i'm talking to myself in my head when i do this.
For maths, I do brainstorms of formulas and special hints, and always do chapter reviews from multiple textbooks.

Organise yourself and make sure you prioritise. If you don't like using a diary, then just use your phone, use the calendar app you have and plan daily events. Make sure you start your assessments early and always PRIORITISE. Be efficient with your time. If your doing nothing or watching tv, just think a bit about what are you gonna do for your assignments, what do u have understand for your exams, etc.

MAKE THESE A HABIT! Good luck with your report!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)