What to drop? (1 Viewer)

sitk

HSC
Hey everyone,

im in kind of a twist here. I've done IPT in yr10, and now I have 15 units in my HSC year. I'm tryin to decide what to drop, so help me out here. I like all of them almost equally, interest wise, and I've included my yr11 final rank to help you advise me.

Please consider scaling, since I have almost equal interest in all of them and i have no idea what course i'm doing in uni.

english advanced rank 13/120 *obviously can't drop this one*
english extension rank 7/ approx 70 kids
mathematics (completed yr11) *obviously can't drop this one*
ipt (completed yr10) *obviously can't drop this one*
mathematics extension 1, rank 8/approx 70 kids
mathematics extension 2, no rank since began in yr12
japanese continuers, rank 1/18
economics, rank 1/approx 50 kids
biology, rank 1/24
physics, rank 6/approx 60 kids (but came =1st in first hsc assessment)

note that in order of quality of school candidature -> physics, japanese, economics, biology

i'm not really considering dropping japanese as it has always been my best subject since yr7, so it's really out of economics, physics, biology and extension english.

The other option is to take 15 units into de HSC. with ipt, it will be 17.
I have completed my first hsc assessments, and can provide those results on request.

that's a big load of information to swallow, but u can see y i am a bit confused in my choice.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
physics, cause its your worst, although you came first in HSC.
so really just think about the potential, which one do you see yourself studying hard for and doing best in.
and there you will find your answer, deep within.
(should i have done philosophy or what!)

jirwin

HSC
how are u taking 15 or 17 or whatever amount of units in the hsc when u've completed 4 units already?

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
jirwin said:
how are u taking 15 or 17 or whatever amount of units in the hsc when u've completed 4 units already?
more a question of why?

ssglain

HSC
jirwin said:
I think sitk meant s/he sat the HSC exam for IPT in Yr 10, but because s/he plans to take MX1+MX2, Mathematics is excluded although it was studied in Yr 11.

And my advice is to rid EE1 and another 2 unit subject. See risole91's comment.

Last edited:
HSC
you're strong in every area really, so i guess it comes down to interest. drop whatever you are losing interest in (it happens).

sitk

HSC
ssglain said:
I think sitk meant s/he sat the HSC exam for IPT in Yr 10, but because s/he plans to take MX1+MX2, Mathematics is excluded although it was studied in Yr 11.
ye ssglain is right, that's what i meant.

Yeh, i've considered dropping extension english, and i've only kept it because 2 units of english must be counted in UAI, so if i do not as well as i wanted in 2u english, it can count for 1 of the units at least. Is this sound logic? As you can see for example, last year i did better rank and exam in 3u than 2u.

also, i know comparing subject scaling can be a bad thing, but since my interest in both are really similar, what scales better economics or physics? my raws marks have generally been higher in economics, but comparing means and std dev of these exams, physics may have actually been de better mark relative to the cohort.

Also, how different is HSC physics from preliminary? i know economics doesn't vary too greatly, maybe more essay writing.

thanks for everyones help btw, i know ure takin ure time to help me out.

HSC
i think your ability and scaling is the least of your problems here because they are similar in both respect across pretty much all subjects (except for bio but you're first anyway).

it all comes down to interest.

hsc physics is quite different to preliminary. it does build on the year 11 knowledge but its new topics (but that applies to all the sciences).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)