What to expect from James Ruse. (1 Viewer)

lala2

Banned
HSC
Hmmm...seems to me that the 2008'ers are stepping right up in this thread....anyway, Mr Chandra Handa--yes, he taught me at PLC in Year 10 in 2003--the best teacher ever. He was so picky about punctuality when he first came, but loosened up in the end as he realised that half my class were always gonna be late--just the way they were.

He really makes the texts come alive for you--he likes to read them aloud, and even though I thought, at the time, it was just a waste of time, now that I think about it, it gives you a feeling for the text, not just "ok, gotta sit down and analyse x, y, z technique". It is, after all, a text, to be appreciated by an audience (particularly Shakespeare--previously I thought he was a dry old fart)--really good for developing your interest in the text. If you are gonna analyse a text, you might as well enjoy it (as best as you can).

His analysis of techniques were also very detailed--from him I learnt all the literary techniques I ever needed to know (if he hadn't come, my HSC would've been stuffed)--metaphors, similes, personification, alliteration, onomatopoeia, elongation (something like that), use of lines (Shakespeare), etc.......

two thumbs up for him

Deluge

HSC
Wow. I'll be lucky to have such a teacher!

Thanks for the insight lala ;)

jessdoit

HSC
Wow. You're doing all three sciences? I know you are mainly looking out for english and maths at the moment but as a forewarning I think you might feel like you'll be put under a lot of pressure. The competition at Ruse is... amazing. My best friend went to Ruse last year and this year she chose to do... I can't remember specifically but I know she did Chemistry.
I don't mean to scare you but what follows is truth from her lips. She said that they have class tests in chemistry and everyone has to get 100%. She kept getting 39/40 or something like that and missed out by 1 mark continuously. By her 4th attempt of the same test, the teacher just told her to give up.
Best of luck in Ruse. Whatever you do, don't fall under the pressure! Congratulations definetely on getting in though. With regular revision and stuff I think you'll be okay.
Oh and regarding calculus in Year 10? It's not that bad : P Differentiation is the next easiest thing I ever encountered besides algebra.

Deluge

HSC
Oh nah. I switched physics to modern history. I finally snapped out of the "OMG BUT PHYSICS SCALES BETTER!!!" thing and yeah, decided to change. I like history so it'll be cool.

Lol, I'm sort of scared now. 39/40 is an awesome mark -__-;;... But yeah, it sort of made me feel better when the Principal said I'd be able to cope. My school right now's pretty competitive.

r1ce23

HSC
Firstly, congratulations on making it to James Ruse. I'm currently in year 12 at the school (so I really shouldn't be here right now -_- should be studying eh..)...
Anyways, your questions:

a) No, the teachers don't assume that you know everything from tutors. Heck, I know a few people who don't have any tutoring at all (including me) and consistently score UAI estimates of mid-98s to high-99s. It's really more about your study habits - they DO expect you to do some kind of revision or reading ahead (especially in the sciences) even if they don't give you formal homework to do.

No, they don't skip any part of the syllabus. For Chemistry this year, they did the first two core topics and went straight to the Option topic (Industrial Chemistry), leaving us to research part of the third core topic before testing everything in the Trial Exams in Term 3. It's the same for Physics, except they made us research the Option topic (Quanta to Quarks) instead. However, they do go through those topics after the Trial Exam period (and after the pain of knowing you stuffed up your exams) in class and feels a lot easier to learn after already researching some of it. I can't speak for Biology because I don't do the subject.
This has changed from year to year, but generally stays the same.

They do not expect you to know everything in Maths, but if I remember correctly, we did do differentiation in Year 10 as well as four other topics (quadratics, radian measure, ...) after the School Certificate from the 2u Fitzpatrick book. They supply you with 2u, 3u, 4u Fitzpatrick, 3u or 4u Arnold/Arnold (Cambridge) and 3u Coroneos. The Year 11 Maths classes are graded, but most new people are placed into the second top class by default (atleast for last year). I believe some new people complained about having to learn the topics we learnt at the end of Year 10 in the space of 2-3 weeks as well as the new stuff for Year 11 since you only have 8 weeks before your first Assessment period, and all us old people knew the topics front to back. Be warned, though, that Extension 2 is a lot of work (it's not really proportional to the amount of work in Extension 1) since it involves understanding a lot of new concepts and all.

The lowest level of English they offer is Advanced, and all the teachers I know will mark whatever practice work you do and give helpful criticism on it. Some blabber on a lot (if you get Ms. McIntosh, you'll know what I mean) but are good at teaching what you need to know to do well in the exams.

b) The Maths exams do vary in difficulty from year to year. This year's trial papers were crazy hard for a lot of people (me included) but I've seen past papers which were MUCH easier. They mark very harshly (the head teacher is very strict on it) but that, I am sure, is probably so that you don't make those silly mistakes which may cost you marks in the HSC exam (you don't get half marks and you can't scab marks in the HSC), but they do allow this in school exams.

Chemistry and Physics exams, on the other hand, are pretty average, I'd say on par with other schools. Same goes to English.

The performance in HSC...hmm...if i remember correctly we mostly average around 90-91 for the HSC assessment mark in both Chemistry and Physics and around low- to mid-90s for Maths. I think its safe to say that English is our worst subject, seeing as how probably 80% of the school has an Eastern Asian background (i.e. Chinese, Korean, etc.) although we do average about 90 for the HSC assessment.

As for Mr. Kowalski, as some people have stated in this thread, he is a bit on the nice side. Too nice, in fact, that he doesn't keep our attention at all and we never learnt anything. Some of my classmates dropped because of him, boring us all to death and teaching nothing. I feel sorry for him though, because he doesn't really seem suited to teaching.

I'd say about half of the new people in Year 11 are smarter than the ones who have been at the school since year 7.

Anyways hope I haven't bored you too much. Good luck next year and the year after that. You'll need it.

dora_18

HSC
Deluge said:
Feiyt: Thanks HEAPS bruh! Haha, you're awesome - thanks for that!

I actually know Mr. Kowalski. He's Polish, has a twenty-or-thirty something wife with one (two?) daughters! LOL. I was in his class for a year and duuuuuuuuuuude! I kept asking him questions so that we wouldn't do work. I know, baad me. Lmao. He means well, he does...

Tutoring is discouraged? Wowzer - I thought that every one was multi-tutored with prowess in all fields. I actually wouldn't mind doing loads of English work, because it's my favourite subject. My friends think I'm a freak because they're all math geniuses.

Yeah, I'm going to rant about friends now... Hahaha. One of them were bagging me out because she didn't like JR uniform. *Shrug* I don't think it's that bad.

- L.
Oh i wish i went to james ruse just so i could speak polish with him...

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
r1ce23 said:
For Chemistry this year, they did the first two core topics and went straight to the Option topic (Industrial Chemistry), leaving us to research part of the third core topic before testing everything in the Trial Exams in Term 3. . I can't speak for Biology because I don't do the subject.
Hmm...I thought you guys did Shipwrecks, Corrosion and Conservation for your Chemistry option....I guess the school probably changed it recently...
As for Biology, I know that they do the first two core topics and go straight to the Option topic (Genetics. The Code Broken?) before visiting the third core topic afterwards.
Btw, if you happen to know Yiling and Susanna in your grade (former SHS people just like Kowalski..lol) say hi to them for me....:D

Forum Friend

Newb Member
HSC
N/A
First and foremost, congratulations on your meet-to-be-induction to James Ruse Agricultural High School. (Also, kudos for your superb grades, for that shall advance the school's academic sinew!:))

I shall not aver whither I attend(ed) school, but I know a smidgen about the happenings at 'Ruse'.

As members, one of whom, Feiyt, have aforementioned, Mr. Manoj Chandra-Handa will bid onerous oeuvres for days on end. He recently transferred from a private school, I believe 'twas Knox Grammar. As a result of this machine-esque gentleman, several colleagues do not have the liberty to drift into the demense of death and doze.

So, can we know whence comes this wunderkind to the paramount coterie?

One Feiyt, why do seem analogous to Karin, who is incidentally in your grade?

Oh, I meandered off the topic at hand, in short, James Ruse is essentially an elitist society, exalted as a result of internal competition, and the prospects of prodigies. The subjects are merely taught speedily and/or more comprehensively than other schools, with an exception to Mathematics, in which the intellectuals are taught at an accelerated year 12 level.

With regards to coaching, tuition, or what have you, it isn't strongly advocated by the school, but there are links that teachers, students, and the school endorse, I guess.

There are also mathematics clubs for, I guess, enrichment. The following is a link to said clubs:
http://www.jamesruse.nsw.edu.au/maths/clubs_and_activities.html

The examinations are not blatantly meant to be unproblematic, for that is the nature of such assessments. To do well, you ought not make an excessive aggregate of inaccuracies, by that I purport none.

r1ce23, good luck with your HSC.

You did say that the exams for chemistry, physics, and English are, quote, "are pretty average, I'd say on par with other schools", unquote, but I must refute that. The exams are undeniably more intense, and gruelling than that of one's local high-school. In addition, I do hear that Sydney Boys' does have rather arduous science papers, while North Sydney Girls' has effort-exigent English examinations.

r1ce23 said:
Chemistry and Physics exams, on the other hand, are pretty average, I'd say on par with other schools. Same goes to English.
Senior, it is "same goes for English", by the way.

he is a bit on the nice side
He's far too lenient, in my earnest, cursory analysis. I'd rather be edified by another teacher, say, Ms. Pooviah, or Ms. Maitra.

Now, the demographics - the stats say that over 90% of JRAHS students are of a non-English-speaking background, of whom most are Oriental Asians - sorry, that's generally considered taboo - Eastern Asians, as well as a substantial percentage of people of Indic decent.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Nah, Mr Chandra Handa came from my ex-school, Pymble. Forum Friend, you must love your Shakespearen English :s. And if you're so knowledgeble about Ruse, is it true that this year's Year 12 got about 70 interviews for UNSW? :eek:

jessdoit

HSC
That James Ruse youtube link was hilarious... And why am I not surprised that D.Tang was rapping =_=;;

Deluge

HSC
Wow... That guy above... LOL... Did you intend on being funny or does it come naturally? Sorry, I'm going to collapse into a fit of laughter soon. Your English is so old-school and eccentric... but I like it :D

Sorry, let me get the laughter over and done first... HAHAHAHA.

Thanks for the youtube link. I clicked onto another video and it was the titled something like "Prefects-Intro" and that was absolutelyyyyyyy hilarious man. LOL.

So going to die at Ruse but hey, I'll try my best :)

HSC
N/A
How exactly is Feiyt like Karin? I find that... funny, amongst other things.

Don't worry Deluge, no one actually knows that the maths clubs exist, or are part of them. Elitist... meh, people aren't that smart. Chances are there are more stupid people or something. Not that you're stupid. You get my point. =)

The Yr 12 video.... was the funniest thing. xD

Forum Friend

Newb Member
HSC
N/A
Fine, this is as normalised as you will have it (probably). This deviates from the topic, and thus, I am apologetic.
lala2 said:
Nah, Mr Chandra Handa came from my ex-school, Pymble. Forum Friend, you must love your Shakespearen English :s. And if you're so knowledgeble about Ruse, is it true that this year's Year 12 got about 70 interviews for UNSW? :eek:
I don't know, for I don't really care. I could be a über-naïve junior, say, a year seven or eight, with great aspirations and is aloof of said interviews, and thus, utilises the Bored's boards to ascertain a greater understanding of this concept of "High School", and not to discuss whether his or her school's senior-most students received seventy or so interviews, or an blasé ex-student who knows that his or her school is the greatest (in New South Wales, in terms of academia, not sport), and is blithe to the fact that his or her school may or may not have seventy interview for UNSW.
Pymble - ubi id est? In all seriousness, I don't consider my vernacular to be Shakespearean, but if it is, then it is, and if, by chance, it amuses you (s./pl.), then I shall have it amuse you (s./pl.).

Deluge said:
Wow... That guy above... LOL... Did you intend on being funny or does it come naturally? Sorry, I'm going to collapse into a fit of laughter soon. Your English is so old-school and eccentric... but I like it :D

Sorry, let me get the laughter over and done first... HAHAHAHA.

So going to die at Ruse but hey, I'll try my best :)
Well, good luck in the forecoming year. Also, you won't die at Ruse, but you will be subject to excessively immoderate pressure, most probably as a result of competition and what-have-you. At most, you'll crack under the strain, and you will think of transferring back to Sefton HS (though, you can't, because apparently you cannot transfer in Yr11).

Second on the agenda to address, yes it does come naturally, indubitably duh. Actually, in all seriousness, that is, duh-aside, probably not - I'm not too sure (probably). I'm very vague about this imperfection. No, I was not trying to be facetious, and as a result of your reaction, I am bemused.

Thirdly, "guy", a term denoting 'man' or 'male', which has become common-use to purport 'person' nowadays, is not gender-neutral, and can essentially be fathomed as sexist language. Please, do refrain from employing such language, as it is as 'bad' (what a substandard word) as profanity and blasphermy.

vulgarfraction said:
How exactly is Feiyt like Karin? I find that... funny, amongst other things.
How splendiferous, my linguistic usage is yet another escapegoat (yes, escapegoat, and not scapegoat, for that is an apocope of escapegoat, and I intend of making myself a figure of fun, obviously - actually, I'm edifying you, even though I am younger/older than you) of society, a society resultant from not-necessarily-Russian perestroika. (That's nonsense! Perestroika can mean reforms, and whatnot, but it's completely irrelevant.) Eh.

vulgarfraction said:
Don't worry Deluge, no one actually knows that the maths clubs exist, or are part of them. Elitist... meh, people aren't that smart. Chances are there are more stupid people or something. Not that you're stupid. You get my point. =)
I know of the clubs! So, I am attributed to as no-one, I presume? I was a part of them!

Elitist? True, people are not that smart; they're just smarter than the rest of the state, surely. Say, where do you attend school, vulgarfraction?

I guess I am a non-conformer to modern-day patois. (Surely, none of the words in this post are incomprehensible, am I correct in this assumption?)

vulgarfiction, you implied that Deluge is stupid, as you phrased it.

Seriously, Deluge, there will definitely be people who aren't up-to-scratch next year. There have always been 'underachievers' at Ruse, of course! Just try to beat 50% and you'll be fine. Again, I wish you the very best of luck (hopefully in an English dialect that you can understand).:)

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

As LottoX said, really, Ruse is just another school, what's the fuss?
Forum Friend said:
Elitist? True, people are not that smart; they're just smarter than the rest of the state, surely. Say, where do you attend school, vulgarfraction?
As I know she goes to Ruse. Obvisouly, on what grounds would she post about the school otherwise?

Forum Friend said:

Seriously, Deluge, there will definitely be people who aren't up-to-scratch next year. There have always been 'underachievers' at Ruse, of course! Just try to beat 50% and you'll be fine. Again, I wish you the very best of luck (hopefully in an English dialect that you can understand).:)
I'm sorry, but it seems to me that you're the one saying that people "aren't up-to-scratch"? :rolleyes:

HSC
N/A
Forum Friend said:
I know of the clubs! So, I am attributed to as no-one, I presume? I was a part of them!

I guess I am a non-conformer to modern-day patois. (Surely, none of the words in this post are incomprehensible, am I correct in this assumption?)

Sorry, rephrase. "Chances are there are people who are more stupid." Stupidity is relative.

So I stick to the "people aren't that smart" point. They're average in my viewpoint. Where I go to school? What Airie said. =) I assume you did too. (On the maths clubs point.. I mean people still at school today. Seriously. You're just an anomaly.)

And, yeah, I won't be betting on that assumption, I'm afraid. Judging by my own response ("Huh? *blank look*) and those of others.

chiselwick

HSC
N/A
woah...congrats in making to james ruse :D:D:D

just have a copy of the syllabus for yourself. It really helps when you feel that you're in a bit of a pinch.

Goodluck!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)