what to expect in investment advisory/stockbroking (1 Viewer)

3li

HSC
N/A
hi guys

can any1 whose worked in broking and investment advisory share their experience and what to expect?

ive worked in tax/financial planning/accounting but i guess this is more advisory related. working at a place called dixona dvisory in their broking department.

im still an undergrad but it seems alot of their brokers are ps146 compliant, and other grad diplomas etc.while im stilla t uni.

my role specificaly is to prepare reports for some retail clients with a team of 4 of the market and sharemarket advice in general.

wuld just like some overview of the field and the pros and cons. im not sure about my hours yet but i heard its pretty standard.

also its been suggested to me to do ps146 as an undergrad (firm can pay for this). has ne1 done this as an undergrad. atm juggling 5 subjects and 3 days full time work - not sure if i can cope with another course.

Last edited:

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
I assume you mean Dixon Advisory. Well you will need PS146 to give advice. Im not entirely sure what you are asking for the latter part of your post.

3li

HSC
N/A
i guess my question is - is there anyone that has done this course while at uni? or is it mainly something you do after you graduate.

i'm under the impression that my learning/growth will be limited here because i havent completed/do not intend to complete this course any time soon, and hence can't give advice (merely produce reports).

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
3li said:
i guess my question is - is there anyone that has done this course while at uni? or is it mainly something you do after you graduate.

i'm under the impression that my learning/growth will be limited here because i havent completed/do not intend to complete this course any time soon, and hence can't give advice (merely produce reports).
Generally people do a PS146 after uni. The firm you work for will put you through it. Most PS146 holders are probably not graduates anyway, and they will do it as part of their professional training in a big4 bank etc. It's pretty expensive so im not sure if your firm will put you through it with you being an undergrad. But I haven't heard anything bad about Dixon, so they may. You may be stuck doing reports, as I dont think you can really be of much use to clients without being certified.

3li

HSC
N/A
cheers. i start wednesday so ill see wat its like.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
3li said:
What degree are you doing at uni?

By the end of next semester, I'll have completed the subjects for PS146 compliance. Im doing a B.Com (Fin/Acc), and its covered through my subjects in the Finance major. I guess it depends on the uni though.

The PS146 is the first 4 subjects of 16 subjects in the Diploma of Financial Services (DFS). To provide advice, you'll need this a bare minimum. Other than that, try a Grad Dip in Applied Finance & Investment through FINSIA?

Last edited:

3li

HSC
N/A
thanks mate
im doing bacc (acc/fin) at uts, do my subjects qualify? im halfway through my degree.
otherwise ill just stick it out and do a course upon graduation if theres no other alternatives.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
3li said:
thanks mate
im doing bacc (acc/fin) at uts, do my subjects qualify? im halfway through my degree.
otherwise ill just stick it out and do a course upon graduation if theres no other alternatives.
I have no idea, as I dont know the subjects covered in your majors through UTS, or whether they link up with the standard that ASIC set.

The courses covered which allow me to gain the PS146 through my degree are (in no particular order):

Investments
International Finance
Business Finance
Personal Financial Planning
Financial Institution Risk Management
Macroeconomics I
Taxation in Australia

Your best option is to consult the Program Officer for Commerce at UTS.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)