• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What to major in? doing Arts/Commerce (1 Viewer)

nika88

HSC
Hi! if you could give me your opinion, it would be greatly appreciated! thanks =)

I'm a first year Arts/Commerce student
I chose Arts/Commerce because it's pretty broad and when i picked it, i had no idea what i wanted to do so i thought it would be a good place to start.
In Arts i'll probably be majoring in Chinese and other units I'm doing include International studies units and I'm considering doing french.
In commerce, i'm doing accounting and microeconomics this semester.

But anyway, I'm at a complete loss as to what to major in for Commerce.
I was thinking along the lines of accounting, or finance, as the job prospects are the best for these two. and maybe economics?
I quite like what we've done in accounting so far and I'm doing quite well in it.
But the problem is, out of the core subjects, we can only choose either the second unit of accounting or introduction to finance so im not really sure which way is better to go. accounting or finance? or economics? im doing equally well in accounting and economics and i enjoy them both. i've never done finance.
in your opinion, which has the best job prospects.

also, if i were to major in finance or accounting, would the Arts degree be completely useless? am I wasting my time with Arts?
Should I just transfer to straight commerce so i can have a double major?
I like my arts subjects, but I'm starting to think they're useless if im going to be majoring in accounting or finance.
Or can you suggest any other Arts subjects that would complement my degree?

thanks for your help!

CieL

HSC
lol thinking about what to major in already?

I'm doing a double degree too, and I chose to [well, maybe I'm just lazy] decide at the end of the year when I've had a taste of several different units..

I pretty much just majored in whatever I got good marks in hahahha since I had no definate fetish for an area of study.

HSC
N/A
nika88 said:
Hi! if you could give me your opinion, it would be greatly appreciated! thanks =)

I'm a first year Arts/Commerce student
I chose Arts/Commerce because it's pretty broad and when i picked it, i had no idea what i wanted to do so i thought it would be a good place to start.
In Arts i'll probably be majoring in Chinese and other units I'm doing include International studies units and I'm considering doing french.
In commerce, i'm doing accounting and microeconomics this semester.

But anyway, I'm at a complete loss as to what to major in for Commerce.
I was thinking along the lines of accounting, or finance, as the job prospects are the best for these two. and maybe economics?
I quite like what we've done in accounting so far and I'm doing quite well in it.
But the problem is, out of the core subjects, we can only choose either the second unit of accounting or introduction to finance so im not really sure which way is better to go. accounting or finance? or economics? im doing equally well in accounting and economics and i enjoy them both. i've never done finance.
in your opinion, which has the best job prospects.

also, if i were to major in finance or accounting, would the Arts degree be completely useless? am I wasting my time with Arts?
Should I just transfer to straight commerce so i can have a double major?
I like my arts subjects, but I'm starting to think they're useless if im going to be majoring in accounting or finance.
Or can you suggest any other Arts subjects that would complement my degree?

thanks for your help!

Well its probably a good idea to look at the respective professional associations (ie; ICAA, CPA, etc) and pick units based on the accreditation

http://www.cpacareers.com.au/study_options/acc_course_search.asp
http://www.charteredaccountants.com.au/files/documents/2006_ATC_List.pdf

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Better to do some kind of language diploma to complement a BCom if you are more interested in studying the language vs culture.

is a roflcopter
HSC
doing a double degree allows you to get 3 tries at getting a job

what do you guys reckon about this problem if you were in this situation

doing commerce/arts
graduate offer from ibd from retail bank (think CBA, ANZ, NAB, Westpac) but needs to drop arts to start on time

yay or nay?

volition

arr.
HSC
Newbie said:
doing a double degree allows you to get 3 tries at getting a job

what do you guys reckon about this problem if you were in this situation

doing commerce/arts
graduate offer from ibd from retail bank (think CBA, ANZ, NAB, Westpac) but needs to drop arts to start on time

yay or nay?
yay, who needs arts anyway when you have a job offer

HSC
the only thing i can think of which might have a link is arts (psyc)/commerce (marketing) majors.

nika88

HSC
§eraphim said:
Better to do some kind of language diploma to complement a BCom if you are more interested in studying the language vs culture.
yeah, i thought of that too... but doing a language dimploma with commerce will take the same time as doing arts/commerce, so i figured i may as well get another whole degree if im going to take the extra time... maybe i should change my way of thinking.. ahah

watatank said:
the only thing i can think of which might have a link is arts (psyc)/commerce (marketing) majors.
yeah same, thats what i was thinking of too. and maybe politics/economics or something.

thanks for the help...
maybe i should go see a careers counsellor
but im going to feel like the biggest tool when i say 'i just want a career that makes me rich' bahahah only kidding... not really but anyway...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)