What to study if behind for civil engineering (1 Viewer)

BaiG

HSC
Hi.
So I got an offer for civil engineering from UTS and I'm 100% sure I'm going there with the required atar. But I didn't do either physics or 3 unit maths but I did fairly well in advanced mathematics and chemistry. I was looking to do some additional study before the semester begins so I was wondering what important topics I should teach myself throughout this break and next year. I was told that it would be okay with my 2 unit knowledge but I don't really believe the student inquiry person. Anyways, any help on what I should focus on would be appreciated.
Thanks

dasfas

HSC
Maths, maths, and lots of maths. Although i'm not sure about civil engineering specifically, for most other engineering disciplines you will struggle a lot with just 2U maths. So definitely grind away maths during the holidays. Other subjects don't matter as much - maths is the foundation of physics so you can also skip learning physics for the time being

Good luck!

BaiG

HSC
Maths, maths, and lots of maths. Although i'm not sure about civil engineering specifically, for most other engineering disciplines you will struggle a lot with just 2U maths. So definitely grind away maths during the holidays. Other subjects don't matter as much - maths is the foundation of physics so you can also skip learning physics for the time being

Good luck!
Would you know any specific syllabus points from the HSC 3 unit syllabus that I should focus on or do you mean just start from the beginning of 3 unit maths and keep working my way through?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Read up on Mechanics (in Physics). Maybe get friend to help you in Mechanics and further Maths.

Or, if you can afford it, come to me, to fill you in in your Maths & Mechanics.

Last edited:

dasfas

HSC
Would you know any specific syllabus points from the HSC 3 unit syllabus that I should focus on or do you mean just start from the beginning of 3 unit maths and keep working my way through?
Algebra, trigonometry, calculus (derivatives, integrals) are the big ones. Also vectors are important

Nedom

HSC
Even though MX1 is the pre-req, learning MX2 too will definitely relieve the pressure at the beginning of uni, which you will be taught MX2, but getting a head start will definitely help, especially if you want a more relaxed/smoother transition into university by reducing the leap in intensity in terms of the amount of effort (/time/effort) needed per unit time available to be spent.

Vall

HSC
Hi.
So I got an offer for civil engineering from UTS and I'm 100% sure I'm going there with the required atar. But I didn't do either physics or 3 unit maths but I did fairly well in advanced mathematics and chemistry. I was looking to do some additional study before the semester begins so I was wondering what important topics I should teach myself throughout this break and next year. I was told that it would be okay with my 2 unit knowledge but I don't really believe the student inquiry person. Anyways, any help on what I should focus on would be appreciated.
Thanks
- don’t worry too much there’s other people in this situation too
- check out this similar thread https://boredofstudies.org/threads/learning-3u-by-myself.401930/#post-7443753

wizzkids

HSC
Did you do HSC Engineering Studies? (the 2 unit course)
There is a very useful module in there on civil structures.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)