• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

what type of learning do you prefer (2 Viewers)

What style of teaching do you like

• BY ROTE

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DISCUSSION

• HAND-OUTS

• DICTATION

• BY ROTE + DISCUSSION

• BY ROTE + DISCUSSION + DICTATION

• OTHER

• Total voters

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
i like it when teachers talk and write and we discuss the topic, and dictation.

Last edited:

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
Discussion has been proved to be the most effective method of learning, and I can't imagine why anyone would prefer dictation, or any other type of learning for that matter, over discussion.

And you still haven't answered my question: why are you still at school? I can see it being one of two possibilities, but just give me a little hint - that should be enough...

chistar

HSC
N/A
discussion definitely helps me understand and remember, and notes are good for revision later on :)

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Fuck discussion. Using textbooks/study guides to obtain a greater understanding that's not obtainable in the normal classroom is much better. Or at least in Maths. I suppose that would be categorised under 'rote', even though rote learning implies that all you do is memorise facts without any need of understanding..

Lolwtf @ dictation

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
Discussion has been proved to be the most effective method of learning, and I can't imagine why anyone would prefer dictation, or any other type of learning for that matter, over discussion.

And you still haven't answered my question: why are you still at school? I can see it being one of two possibilities, but just give me a little hint - that should be enough...
sorry never received that question there is a thread in the prelim forum about it just search it under RETURNED HSC is was started by osamabidladen or whateva the name was. That should answer most questions.

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
Fuck discussion. Using textbooks/study guides to obtain a greater understanding that's not obtainable in the normal classroom is much better. Or at least in Maths. I suppose that would be categorised under 'rote', even though rote learning implies that all you do is memorise facts without any need of understanding..

Lolwtf @ dictation
Textbooks are only preferable if you have an incapable teacher. Otherwise, discussion with someone who knows what they're teaching is by far preferable, as they can offer different explanations, answer most questions, and can discuss certain aspects of a topic in more depth if necessary.

And no, you are not allowed to disagree with me.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
I disagree with your statement of me not being allowed to disagree with you.

Okay so all my teachers are pretty shitty, so I just use a few textbooks per subject to teach myself (and I do Physics tutoring, which is also kinda shitty). If I don't get anything, I'll ask friends or come on BoS. That's what this site was made for, right? To spread around our knowledge?

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
I disagree with your statement of me not being allowed to disagree with you.

Okay so all my teachers are pretty shitty, so I just use a few textbooks per subject to teach myself (and I do Physics tutoring, which is also kinda shitty). If I don't get anything, I'll ask friends or come on BoS. That's what this site was made for, right? To spread around our knowledge?
So basically you have shitty teachers and therefore have top learn from textbooks? That's what I was saying. That's pretty much my situation too BTW

/OBEY

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
Engaging discussions during class time is quite beneficial, though its got to be coupled with self learning stuff from textbooks to refine or fine tune certain areas + also doing past papers or other related questions to put the stuff learnt into practice :)

iNerd

Banned
HSC
i like it when teachers tell me whats in the test.

HSC
I rather whiteboard marker/ talk lol, but not the ones that BS! all the time

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
- board/overhead/sheet(s), we read/copy, teacher explains it, discussion
- self study with textbooks and guides.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)