what uni is best for med? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuma

HSC
what uni is best for med? regardless if is a po/undergrad course or however long it is.

wattle

HSC
tuma said:
what uni is best for med? regardless if is a po/undergrad course or however long it is.
i think it all depends on what you are looking for in a uni ... reputation, teaching style, clinical opportunities, location, graduate entry ??? once you know what you want from your degree, then you are better able to determine which uni is 'best' for you :)

luke: why do say newcastle? just curious

7minute

HSC
tuma said:
I think it depends on which uni has the course that is best suited to you.

Undergraduate courses:
  1. If you don't mind a six year degree, would like to do some research and you like scenario based learning, then UNSW is for you.
  2. If you like problem-based learning, Newcastle is your pick.
  3. If you're after a more "old-school" academic-type course, try the University of Melbourne.
  4. Monash uses patient-centred learning and has a good international reputation.
  5. I don't know enough about Adelaide, UWA and other unis to say anything about them. So I'll leave that for someone who does.

Graduate courses
  1. ANU has an excellent international reputation, and provisional entry into their graduate medicine course is availlable for school levers.
  2. Sydney has a good reputation, and they've introduced the new combined medicine program. If you get into that , you won't have to do GAMSAT.
  3. ANU and Sydney are the only graduate medical schools in Australia that I know anything about. You could also go for a graduate medical school overseas (eg. Harvard (!) and other American universities, and those in the UK.

Of course this is just what I think, and I'm kinda biased, since I'm going to UNSW.

envy87

HSC
Newcastle is recognised for its emphasis on patient care, i've also heard that flinders is good. usyd also turns out good med graduates.

as far as the best one is, i have no idea

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
wattle said:
i think it all depends on what you are looking for in a uni ... reputation, teaching style, clinical opportunities, location, graduate entry ??? once you know what you want from your degree, then you are better able to determine which uni is 'best' for you :)

luke: why do say newcastle? just curious
ive heard its the most innovative. i just know it has a really good reputation and compares very well to the other courses across australia

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i said newie I THINK. as in IMO. i think id prefer it to the other med courses

nit

HSC
It isn't a new course - indeed, in name, the Combined Science Medicine course is new, but it involves bringing together the science course at Usyd and the Medicine course there to form one course, and each of these components has a fair amount of street-cred.

nit

HSC
it has had its graduate program running for a few years now (about 5-10?) - the science medicine course means that you complete an undergraduate science course, all the while possessing provisional entry into medicine 3/4 years down the track.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
nit said:
it has had its graduate program running for a few years now (about 5-10?) - the science medicine course means that you complete an undergraduate science course, all the while possessing provisional entry into medicine 3/4 years down the track.

usyd made their new PBLish course in 1997

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
The USyd medical degree is one of the oldest, but only recently (ie within the last decade) completed the transition from school-entry to graduate-entry.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
lolz...
ppl should kno .. undergrad = grad - entry.. :)

my opinion.. Adel its the one i go to.. its got to be the best..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)