• Tafe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
What was your school and how do you believe it affect your HSC mark and UAI? Was it for the better or worse?

Just curious I know that there are probably official figures from Board of Studies on this however I would like to know the statistics from the BOS class of 2006.

EDIT: Oh I attended a public school, senior campus only years 11-12 for a public school it was certainly a good choice.

Last edited:

Sewwy

HSC
i went to a private school (Roseville College) - Compared to the rest of the state, we didn't do too well for a Private school - in fact, I was surprised our ranking was as low as it was (i was expecting around the late 30s, but we're in the 50s :eek: )

I believe that Roseville has helped me to excell in my studies helping me produce my 93.3 UAI - I wasn't all that academic before year 10 and my teachers started hammering it into everyone to get their act together - I'm totally glad they did too.

Last edited:

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i went to a public state school and ended up with 94.55...i dont think the school matters that much. i'm sooo proud of out year though, we pulled up our ranking from 303 to 118 :D :D
so im happy with my school.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I went to a partially selective school SHS, and it was probably the biggest regret I've ever made. It's a great school if you are from the non-selective (i.e. community) stream. However, if you are from the selective stream you will hate it to bits. Everyone knows that the principal deliberately covers up our crappy results in her speeches. When I entered the school in Year 7 it was ranked 14th, now it is ranked a shameful 53rd since many of our best teachers and students left for schools like Hurlstone and James Ruse. The remains of our teaching staff are sometimes worse than that of public non-selective schools, not to mention the corrupt and arrogant English faculty (e.g. Once, I was simply told by an English teacher that I was not capable of getting over 80 in English rather than helping to achieve that...how selfish).
Whilst most selective schools often encourage and motivate competition, we are actually discouraged from competing with each other because they fear we won't have a life if we do so (wtf?!). The only result we're proud of is Mathematics (18th in 05 and 26th in 06) because at least we beat some full selective schools in that (note that most of our DAs are Maths subjects). Our English results are especially shameful for a selective school as heaps of public non-selective schools owned us. However with that in mind, it was quite odd that we beat Sydney Technical this year in English....lol
It's not just the academics that I'm ashamed of either. The school is a cheapskate when it comes to facilities in enhancing our learning environment. The stupid principal spends most of the school's money on making the playground look nice rather than the classrooms where we spend most of our time in. The way the principal handles the school is horrible. Even my parents reckon the principal is so up herself and that she reckons she is queen of the world or something. There is very little communication and interaction between students and the principal and that also shows her unpopularity.
The school is also like a concentration camp. The school rules here are enforced very harshly (particularly uniform and homework) and students who go there would know what I mean. I know that there are plenty of truants and people who hardly get their homework done in other public schools and even many selective schools. With those schools they often get away with it until it becomes frequent, but in this school if you truant or not do homework once or twice, a letter goes home which basically threatens your parents that you may fail in life if you continue this. Basically our freedom within the school was restrained...
The school is also quite conservative. We selectives (well for 06 anyway) have a lot of connections to those in other selective and a few non-selective schools and we know what types of acknowledgements and privileges they get. So when we ask why we do not have those kinds of acknowledgements and privileges (ranging from recreational fun days to rankings in our report) they argue that it is against the DET and BOS rules....wtf!
Had I gone to a better school I would have most certainly got better results than what I have now or at least have a better attitude. Year 12 2006 would have been a much more memorable year for me rather than a year I'd rather forget. I'm sure most people who go there (particularly the selective students) would agree that it is a shit school and perhaps even go as far as not deserving to be a selective school. The only happiness I have from this is that I will no longer have to put up with the misery at school forever and finally enjoy life in university (on a relative scale that is) plus perhaps develop some university pride.

Sorry about the rant, I just had to let out some steam.....

Last edited:

adgala

HSC
its a shame you went through all of that because contrastingly, i had a very memorable year at sbhs.

back on topic, all my examination marks bar maths extension 1 were lower than my internal marks so yeah, it helped me quite a bit.

LaMPshade

HSC
unlike Trebla, i don't hate my skool, rather i hate my english faculty.

SHS? Sefton HIgh?

P

pLuvia

We went shit this year, dropped down so many ranks from 2004 and will continue to drop with the non-hopeful current year 12s we have oh well, not my problem anymore :D

Roobs

HSC
So long as you have techers who know their shit (most do), and you have a good rapport with them, if u ask me the school u go 2 makes little difference.....

haque

HSC
the guys up near the top did quite well however the guys near the middle and the bottom ranked guys must have done exceptionally poorly as our assessment marks were significantly lower than our exam marks. We're pretty angry at the middle guys, i'm not saying they were stupid, but they were lazy and this brought down the more higher aspiring guys(if just the exam marks were taken we'd get a lot more state rankings). I know how trebla feels cos i feel the same way-tech has dropped from 13th to 24th(according to smh) and 34 fordt over the last few years which is pretty disgusting(a school should drop at most by 6 ranks even if the grade is bad). This trend started since our previous principal retired and corruption reigns supreme at our school(imo)

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
i went to a private school - relatively small with about 60 in our grade.

I dont think it affected me because i was ranked 1st or 2nd in most things so my marks were determined by my own performance. Also I was happy with most of my teachers, which was good.

In a way this was good because it meant i was not under much pressure to try and maintain good rankings, so i could afford to stuff around a bit and have fun. But also i think if i had gone to Penrith High (selective) for yrs 11-12 i might have been motivated to work a little harder than i did.....not that im complaining - im ecstatic with my result!!!

mel4dan

I went to a public school and I ended up with a UAI of 98.5. Our school performed very well and we had plenty of UAIs in the 90s. I'm glad I never went to a selective or private school now.

My School: Henry Kendall High School

chungo

HSC
adgala said:
its a shame you went through all of that because contrastingly, i had a very memorable year at sbhs.

back on topic, all my examination marks bar maths extension 1 were lower than my internal marks so yeah, it helped me quite a bit.
Joe, I think you're mistaken, I don't think the SHS he's referring to is High....
I haven't figured out what it is yet though.... Sefton

But for the record SHS should be Sydney High School = High oh yeah./..

And back on topic, yes it was great for helping me get what I got...

Oh and fyi, selective and public school teachers are appointed by the DET and the only real difference is the students... and the entry procedure.

Last edited:

doraemon

HSC
its sefton high obviously...

the rank, the partially selective school.

adgala

HSC
chungo said:
Joe, I think you're mistaken, I don't think the SHS he's referring to is High....
nah, i knew it was sefton. i've heard horror stories from there this year from a cousin.

Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
I went to PLC (Pymble). How your grade will affect you truly depends on the batch of students, in my opinion we get better every year, but then again that's debatable...

The school tends to stuff up the internal ranks BUT this means that everyone pulls some people up and then is pulled up in turn by other people. This is why individually we don't do that well, but as a collective group we shine. We rock at all-rounders. 50% of girls at our school get UAI's of over 90, even though we aren't selective.

The reason we don't rank well on a per-student basis is that we aren't selective - I think we don't fit into the top 10. But I reckon we're a great school, I wouldn't have gone anywhere else in Sydney. We had fantastic teachers who helped me and my 3 buddies who got the same UAI achieve the marks we did.

Perhaps my marks/UAI might have been that little bit higher if I'd just gone to Ruse, or NSGHS, or maybe even SGHS - but I went to PLC for the whole package (the music, the grounds, the people, the marks) and I will NEVER regret my decision.

Besides, the perks like the free laptop, the free food (like today's morning tea), the silly badges, the massive common room/kitchen...lol now I sound like a brat...sorry!

No actually now I sound like a walking advertisment. Oops. Well anyhow I reckon PLC made me more all-rounded, I came out of primary school at the risk of becoming a hermit (I had the glasses, the computer fixation, the Harry Potter obsession...) but then my high school totally opened my eyes...

The end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)