What was your theme/issue (1 Viewer)

nookie

HSC
What was your b.o.w theme issue! Just interested. :)

I reckon the most common ones are death, image (women), war etc...

HSC
N/A
Yeah - war, female image, self identity and multicultural issues all seem to be very popular.

That probably just makes it harder for people to be impressed by those works.... they see so many that to really be enjoyed, the work has to completely shine.

Maybe.

Superstar44

HSC
Individuality is just a purchase away!!!

For my BOW
Titled: Individuality is just a purchase away!!!

(Artist) Fashion Statement:
In the modern world of fashion, identity is a commodity that can be bought and sold. My body of work is a playful, postmodern, satirical reflection on the interplay between fashion and art. The attractive silhouettes used in the world of advertising are all hard edge with no flesh or substance. Their form is defined by the fashion they wear. This artwork operates as a parody to satirize the fashion world and the wider issue of seeking an identity through fashion.

My Body of work catalogues and comments on the role of art in fashion. Fashion increasingly employs methods, models and motifs from art, deconstructs them and recreates new designs. The client consumes the fashion and in pursuit of individualism, affordability plummets as exclusivity increases. The client buys individualism. But is it all a fraud? Is the client bluffed into believing that fashion can replace character?

The images that my art focuses on are based on society’s relationship to fashion. This leads onto the idea of conformity and the loss of individuality through trying to be “in fashion”. “Do you see what I see? (Jem - They, i inclued this song apart of my work only i remixed it with sex and the city theme)” The barcodes in the artwork represent the loss of individuality, for we are all behind these jail like bars. The silhouette human forms have no detail and are hidden behind their apparel, hiding distinguishable features of a human hence an identity not specific to gender.

Looking different and having your own "style" is important to a lot of people. But is there really any such thing as exclusivity in fashion? For a lot of young people today, New York is the style capital of the world and it's all thanks to television shows like “Sex and the City”. Where magazines still teach us how to dress like Carrie - "get the look", "steal the style", as if young women all over can buy a cheap version of her lifestyle.
Ossie Clark, the fashion designer who introduced bright colours and maxi skirts to the Sixties, once said: "Everything that is done has been done before. We've got to find a new permutation, a new erogenous zone."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)