What will be asked this year? (1 Viewer)

dolbinau

HSC
I noticed a physics thread about this, so, if anyone has any ideas for Biology share!

gonutsmate

HSC
I reckon something relevant about Equine flu or some bs disease like that and possibly something about ethics into the future(as usual)

Takuto

HSC
bio is so hard to predict and the syllabus is so large, but what the heck

every year is so diffferent haha im gonna put farout guesses something about macfarlane burnett he hasnt been mentioned in a while LOL

and mitosis

xylem theory

inherited disease

induced fit model

<- making all this up LOL

dolbinau

HSC
If they mention Macfarlane do we just write immune response; T/B cells etc..? I remember seeing a multiple choice question on this but I don't know if they've ever asked you to actually write a response.

Takuto

HSC
Haha yeah, which is why i guessed it

I have no idea >.> it was just a random guess since the havent asked it yet

iknow that he worked on immunology third line particularly 'clonal selection'

-there are already lots of different types of lymphocytes in the body. when an antigen enters the body, it only triggers or selects one particular type of lymphocyte.

this lymphocyte is cloned in large numbers and specific only to that antigen

dolbinau

HSC
LOL It's a HE? for some reason macfarlane sounds like a girl.

Takuto

HSC
dolbinau said:
LOL It's a HE? for some reason macfarlane sounds like a girl.
LOLOL

yeah i believe its a he haha

hey you did cssa trials right? what was ur mark?

lolol, i think id id some independent paper and got 73%

dolbinau

HSC
91!

But our option was substituted (although that's where I lost all my marks, LOL: I didn't know Myopia/Hyperopia) but I'm a little more confident now. 3 days to study and I shall be right.

Takuto

HSC
wowww thats awesome lol

u must be pretty good at bio

ohh myopia hyperopia.. short/far sightedness?

hahah iam RELYING on those 3 days to start from scratch (sorta) =D

dolbinau

HSC
I'm just able to remember a lot and write it down coherently I don't think it's 'skill' or such :p.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
dolbinau said:
If they mention Macfarlane do we just write immune response; T/B cells etc..? I remember seeing a multiple choice question on this but I don't know if they've ever asked you to actually write a response.
Ive seen a multichoice question on him is past hsc paper, but you dont look at him in the focus area, but on the syllabus his he is mentioned in the overview of that particular focus area

forkyspoony18

HSC
yeah i dont think they could really get you to write too much on him because there isn't actually a syllabus dot point on him.

I agree with one of the above posts that there will be a question on equine influenza. My bio teacher has been saying all year that there will probably be a question on the cervical cancer vaccination too.

HSC
dolbinau said:
91!

But our option was substituted (although that's where I lost all my marks, LOL: I didn't know Myopia/Hyperopia) but I'm a little more confident now. 3 days to study and I shall be right.
Lol, same trial mark as me. I forgot the ear structure and misinterpeted a picture to be a rod/cone when it was the larynx lol... meh got ages to bio, back to english.......................................................................................

j-3-s-5

HSC
I had a feeling about macfarlene when i saw a multiple choice quesiton and realised i knew nothign about him. Its not part of the syllabus so I wouldn't think it would be a major question but I got this stuff from hsc online about him jsut in case :

MacFarlane Burnet was an Australian Scientist who studied immunology and worked on the development of the influenza vaccine.

He developed a theory that explains how an organism’s body is able to distinguish between its own cells and those of other organisms.
Burnet suggests that:
- Individual lymphocytes have the genetic capacity to make one or more particular antibodies.
- The lymphocytes have receptor molecules on their surface. These receptors have the same specificity for antigens as the antibody that the lymphocyte cell can make.
- Therefore, when an antigen enters the body, those lymphocytes with receptors that can react with the antigen will be stimulated to differentiate and will produce plasma cells producing antibodies with specificity toward the antigen.

He won the Nobel Prize for his research into physiology.

Takuto

HSC
j-3-s-5 said:
I had a feeling about macfarlene when i saw a multiple choice quesiton and realised i knew nothign about him. Its not part of the syllabus so I wouldn't think it would be a major question but I got this stuff from hsc online about him jsut in case :

MacFarlane Burnet was an Australian Scientist who studied immunology and worked on the development of the influenza vaccine.

He developed a theory that explains how an organism’s body is able to distinguish between its own cells and those of other organisms.
Burnet suggests that:
- Individual lymphocytes have the genetic capacity to make one or more particular antibodies.
- The lymphocytes have receptor molecules on their surface. These receptors have the same specificity for antigens as the antibody that the lymphocyte cell can make.
- Therefore, when an antigen enters the body, those lymphocytes with receptors that can react with the antigen will be stimulated to differentiate and will produce plasma cells producing antibodies with specificity toward the antigen.

He won the Nobel Prize for his research into physiology.
thanks for that. =]

yeah, i saw that mc too and never heard of him.. then again you could eliminate the other scientists quite easily

hes only subtly mentioned in one of the points so i dun think he will be in it.

j-3-s-5

HSC
Yeh, his only mentioned in heading for point 5.
'Macfarlene Burnet's work in the middle of the 20th century contributed to a better understanding of the immune response and the effectiveness of immunisation programs'

so i'm guessing all you'll need to know about if (if there did happen to be a question on him like the multiple choice) is what general area, and then prob just talk about the immuni resppnse and immunisation programs?

Thought it wa sbetter to be safe then sorry tho. I knw if i ignored it i would walk into the exam and there'll be a question on it lol.

Alex499

HSC
well I was in the car with my mum the other day and she was listening to some crappy talkback AM radio show. Anyway this lady rang up and said she wrote the Biology HSC paper for this year. And the lame radio guy was like "any advice for any biology students out there" and she just said that there's nothing that hasn't been tested before.
Good thing I've just been doing past papers.

2S1D3

HSC
I have a feeling that they will ask something about the work of an Australian male or female scientist.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)